Ya recon...

Discussion in 'Production' started by Phat_Sam, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Phat_Sam

Phat_Sam Well-Known Member

Ya actually get slightly worse at being creative and innovative as ya get more knowledgable about making music?

I've just been goin through a load of my old tracks. Some jump up & neurofunky sorta stuff from when i first started takin music production a bit more seriously.

My jump up has gone down hill since then... some of the tracks I was making about a year ago (although they werent technically perfect) are actually better than some of the stuff im making now.

My neurofunk on the other hand has improved ten fold.

discuss...

2. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Maybe its because as you become more aware of techincal things, you're less prone to experimentation. Personally I think i'm at the perfect stage right now- a good balance between knowledge and creativity.
    You could always swap DAWs and learn all the technical stuff from scratch :D

3. Phat_Sam

yeah im thinkin of switchin cold turkey to logic. im on reason 4 at the mo. love it but i just dont think it gives ya the freedom ya really need if you're producing anything more technical than house/trance :(

4. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

yea im with u on this wen i listen back my older tunes there alot more crazy with ideas an that but the actual sounds are pretty poor.
    something quite fun i find to do these days is go back into an old tune with all the ideas an change the sounds to the stuff i can do now it dont always work tho!lol

5. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

glad im not the only one. weird how knowlegde can smother creativity sumtimes :(

6. Nacon

Nacon Vidual

I have the opposite way around, back then i didn't really know that much about scale or anything, and i had a much harder time back then. Now that i know what i'm doing it's much easier to complete a tune, and get new ideas because i know what i am doing. It was all too much... overwhelming back when i started.

7. kama

kama benkama.net

I'd like to think there's a point where you can catch the best of both worlds. A good rigid sound quality that will tear down the house in the club & garden, and also touching some areas on the emotional scale.

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:13 ----------

I aim for the groin mostly.

8. Phat_Sam

I love to aim for the groin... my favourite body part

Ive just been listening to some mixes and thought to my self that (with some work) my old tunes could actually tear down the house... (in the most non-arrogant way possible!)

but my most recent tunes... especially dubstep... need a MASSIVE improvement in creativity!

maybe its just cos i was using fruity loops back then? ive never thought of it as a real DAW/sequencer to take seriously. (not that i didnt like it)
    Hopefully if i do go flat out into another DAW - Logic 9 - then my creativity will jump back to me? fuck knows.. gonna have to see eh!?!?

9. spung3

spung3 Member

Porbably has somethin to do with time spent. Mighta knocked your tunes out in a night beforehand where now you'll spend so much time processin you end up stickin a bare minimum bassline in.

10. kama

kama benkama.net

Yeah. I try to say this without egoism but i make tunes that can rock the floor in a club, and i use FL. It's the mental attitude that keeps you down son.

11. dexter

dexter Member

im the the same, i personally believe its something you just have to get over, and push through, and find other ways to get creative. one thing i wouldnt recommend is switching daws just the for the sole reason of lack of creativity, i think thats just the grass is always greener or procrastination kinda thinking, you know, instead of working at the real problem, you mention reason not being to good for things other than house/techno look at blu mar ten, thats some deep shit man, anything can be acheived on any peice of software, its all about you and your mental state.

im also sure professional producers dont think of making tunes the same way we do, im hoping when youve got such a big arsenal of technical knowledge in your head, its more about working with ideas you have from a technical stand point and the music just flows around it easily, or maybe thats just me wanting that to be the case i have always had zero imagination and ive never once really had ideas in my head and tried translating them to the computer, i just wing it, but as i learn i realise i kinda just get stuck in routine ways of doing things that have had semi success for me, so i keep doing them, i think you just gotta branch out, try doing things in different ways everyday, make a song everyday, try a new genre everyday, just get yourself out of that old template you have stuck in your mind by default, most of all actually do it, thats the hardest part.

sorry if none of the above really makes much sense or help, just a ramble

12. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

i reckon i know what im doing wrong.
    i used to just make tunes then worry about all the producing after wards - mixing etc.
    Now i seem to spend hours sorting out each track -compressing eq etc etc and after a few hours i dont even have a bassline. so i was getting a bit fed up
    so i reckon i just need to concentrate on one thing at a time - compose then mix/effects then master/produce - if u c what i mean - rather than try and do all those things as im composing the tune.

13. Zeal

Zeal Ohm/C2D/Dark Asylum/Ennex

Definately some truth in that imo

This is why i always say to people who are starting out making beats, dont worry about mixdowns too much just keep creating and finishing tunes to the best that you can

I got to hung up on mixdowns for a while, sitting there endless hours over a fucking snare or a hi hat. Cross referencing all the time done my fucking head in..In the end i decided that everyones got a different mixdown sound in their head anyways, so there isnt ever a certain way a final product should sound. Long as everything is kinda itn its own place and it sounds good on the ears then im happy with that

Seems to be working for us ok atm seem to feel rather creative, like when recording live trumpets and trombones for our latest neuro funk esque track :)

/waffle