Xone 92 VCF usage with 3 decks

reptelic

Hey guys,

Just got my hands on a Xone 92 and I'm trying to copy Andy C's style where he uses the VCF filters like in this video

Does anyone know how to work the filters when you're using 3 decks? Seems tricky, especially when the two decks in the mix are assigned to one side's filter. Surely Andy doesn't re-assign the filters mid mix, as that would be way too much fucking around.

Any advice would be appreciated.

@dj_merlin knows. He explained it a long while back but I never understood then ha. I just used 2 with a filter and had the 3rd deck unassigned. Bit shit in hindsight.

Found it:

"Say there is tune A assigned to the left filter which is being highpassed, tune B assigned to the right filter which is not being highpassed. You would then have tune C assigned to the left filter also before you bring it in as you know in advance that you also want that highpassed. Bring tune C in, switch the frequencies so that tune B is being highpassed. Then the next tune you cue up will be assigned to the same filter as tune B so it will also be highpassed. Etc etc."

So my interpretation basically is -- assign the deck you're about to bring in to the filter which is being cut already. That way, when you rotate both filters to switch, it'll mix it smoothly.

Watching the Andy C vid again, I think I do see him maybe flick the switch to change filter assignment sometimes, but it's not very clear and he's quick about it.

Found it:

"Say there is tune A assigned to the left filter which is being highpassed, tune B assigned to the right filter which is not being highpassed. You would then have tune C assigned to the left filter also before you bring it in as you know in advance that you also want that highpassed. Bring tune C in, switch the frequencies so that tune B is being highpassed. Then the next tune you cue up will be assigned to the same filter as tune B so it will also be highpassed. Etc etc."

So my interpretation basically is -- assign the deck you're about to bring in to the filter which is being cut already. That way, when you rotate both filters to switch, it'll mix it smoothly.

Watching the Andy C vid again, I think I do see him maybe flick the switch to change filter assignment sometimes, but it's not very clear and he's quick about it.

That's it, and then I'd suggest also using the eq's on the filtered songs to smooth things out some more if you've got 2 assigned to the same filter.

I've got into the habit of assigning the filters as the first process of playing the next tune - before I start cueing up sometimes. Best to not forget amongst beatmatching etc and then get caught out!

Thanks heaps :D gonna be a bit of a juggle but Im sure itll be fun, and mixers sound heaps better with the filters (unless you're listening on headphones which only have the high hats)

Back
Top Bottom