Xone 92 or DJM 800

bone

Seen quite a few threads deliberating between the differents A&Hs, but am wondering what peoples views are between these two. Thinking of plundering the money for a new mixer, and wondering which would be best.

Both really good bits of kit, have a go on both and see for yourself, nothing will beat having a play on them and seeing what works best for you.

The Pio does do alot more for the cash but doesnt seem as clear cut and focused as the A&H, sounds wierd despite the fact you have a extra band eq on the A&H, but for some reason the layout and ergonomics of it mean I tend to utilise everything, where as after a set on a Pio I feel like I could have done more. Mainly because you have two seperate effects units on it which allow you to do some crazy stuff, digital connections too - how often you will use it, probably never tho which is the toss...

Penny & Giles faders on the A&H are touch, nice and smooth where as worn Pio arent a pleasure, not forgetting A&H has a limiter which is why most clubs use them.

If you looking for all out trickery then probably the Pio but for pure SQ, build quality and feel then it doesnt come close to A&H imo...the 92 is the mixer of choice for me.

Just to say I play on both, own neither and have no brand prejudice.

The Pio does do alot more for the cash but doesnt seem as clear cut and focused as the A&H, sounds wierd despite the fact you have a extra band eq on the A&H, but for some reason the layout and ergonomics of it mean I tend to utilise everything, where as after a set on a Pio I feel like I could have done more. Mainly because you have two seperate effects units on it which allow you to do some crazy stuff, digital connections too - how often you will use it, probably never tho which is the toss...

Penny & Giles faders on the A&H are touch, nice and smooth where as worn Pio arent a pleasure, not forgetting A&H has a limiter which is why most clubs use them.

If you looking for all out trickery then probably the Pio but for pure SQ, build quality and feel then it doesnt come close to A&H imo...the 92 is the mixer of choice for me.

Just to say I play on both, own neither and have no brand prejudice.

Don't really like the faders on the A&H... got odd curve on them, really all or nothing.

I don't use half the things on the Pioneer and don't intend too. Ergonomically I think the Pioneer has it, the tactile buttons and locations of everything just seems perfect for me... Especially when using three decks.

Don't really like the faders on the A&H... got odd curve on them, really all or nothing.

I don't use half the things on the Pioneer and don't intend too. Ergonomically I think the Pioneer has it, the tactile buttons and locations of everything just seems perfect for me... Especially when using three decks.

Agree with you on the faders the dont have a straight curve.

Pioneer has a classic layout and at first glace is more simple, but i recon to utilise the whole mixer VCFs included the A&H has it spot on.

Id kill for either tho.

Agree with you on the faders the dont have a straight curve.

Pioneer has a classic layout and at first glace is more simple, but i recon to utilise the whole mixer VCFs included the A&H has it spot on.

Id kill for either tho.

Hmm, I prefer the location of the filter on the Pioneer too.. It has an idividual pot above each channel for the hi/low pass filter... The only shame is the resonance isnt adjustable... That is my only gripe.

The other filter activated by the yellow button and set through time I don't really care for.

Hmm, I prefer the location of the filter on the Pioneer too.. It has an idividual pot above each channel for the hi/low pass filter... The only shame is the resonance isnt adjustable... That is my only gripe.

The other filter activated by the yellow button and set through time I don't really care for.

I quite like that part as a effects unit it works well problem is in this genre is a bit tasteless to use, if your playing garage then there is no other mixer to have for want of the effects it has.

I quite like that part as a effects unit it works well problem is in this genre is a bit tasteless to use, if your playing garage then there is no other mixer to have for want of the effects it has.

Yeah I tend to cringe on any use of the filter... Even when the bigs names use it... Just doesn't seem to work well in dnb... If only they had a put a depth/resonance knob on the filter above the channels aswell, that would of been perfect.

Yeah I tend to cringe on any use of the filter... Even when the bigs names use it... Just doesn't seem to work well in dnb... If only they had a put a depth/resonance knob on the filter above the channels aswell, that would of been perfect.

When I 1st used a 800 that what I thought they were, would be a good addition to new mixers they make.

^^ Yeah this is true. I kinda wish the 92 had a few settings on it like the 800 but like Double U said you'd never really use many of the features when playing out, more gimicy so to speak.

I just bum the filters on the 92 way too much now to consider getting an 800, they are so perfectly positioned (not as perfect as the 62 mind) so I'd have to get one.

I do think the sound quality is slightly better from the 800 but then I suppose that could just be down to the operator.

Decisions.

I agree with coshh on the odd bend the upfaders have on an A&H. Only really notice it when cutting with the upfaders. As for the debate on mixers, I've never had an opportunitty to mix on a Pioneer so can't offer anyhting there.

pioneer over the allen and heath any day of the week

allen and heaths are allways fucked after a good few months of hard use -

the rubber around the filter knobs come loose and falls off

headphone volume adjustment is at the top of the mixer instead of next to the headphone connection fucking annoying when everyother mixer on the market has it right next to the headphone connectors so you allways reach for the wrong place when u want to adjust the volume

the screws holding the up/down channel faders come undone after a good bashing (ive has faders come undone on me several times during gigs b4)

4 eq sweeps is fucking pointless and just get confusing when ur used to using just 3 (like any normal mixer) especially when u cant see shit cos there is no light in the dj booth)

ive as yet to find one thing i dont like on the djm800

headphone volume adjustment is at the top of the mixer instead of next to the headphone connection fucking annoying when everyother mixer on the market has it right next to the headphone connectors so you allways reach for the wrong place when u want to adjust the volume

the screws holding the up/down channel faders come undone after a good bashing (ive has faders come undone on me several times during gigs b4)

4 eq sweeps is fucking pointless and just get confusing when ur used to using just 3 (like any normal mixer) especially when u cant see shit cos there is no light in the dj booth)

Good man :teeth: ... Completly agree with the 4 eq thing... Pointless. I can eq perfectly using the 3 band eq on a pioneer why would I want a fourth :confused:

This is bloody annoying, only wrong thing about the mixer imo

All good points here. Although it does sound like the mixers you have played on are knocked the hell out of, the rubber does wear but loose faders :s If I found that at a club id be seriously pissed...its not neciassry to beat a mixer up, crossfaders are the only thing that should go from extreme wear.

Quick addition to this in my experiance, some clubs ive played in have had Pios and when Ive come back to play they have changed to A&Hs...dont know why, not gonna hazard a guess either, but it could be something to do with the fact that Ive seen/used plently of Pio's not in full working order but not turned up yet to a A&H thats got broken channels / phono rear connections and grounding issue...

COSHH just a question, Ive not used a 700 but it seems the only difference is the channel effects...if you dont use the effects anyway wouldnt this have been the better alternative vs price?

This is bloody annoying, only wrong thing about the mixer imo

All good points here. Although it does sound like the mixers you have played on are knocked the hell out of, the rubber does wear but loose faders :s If I found that at a club id be seriously pissed...its not neciassry to beat a mixer up, crossfaders are the only thing that should go from extreme wear.

Quick addition to this in my experiance, some clubs ive played in have had Pios and when Ive come back to play they have changed to A&Hs...dont know why, not gonna hazard a guess either, but it could be something to do with the fact that Ive seen/used plently of Pio's not in full working order but not turned up yet to a A&H thats got broken channels / phono rear connections and grounding issue...

COSHH just a question, Ive not used a 700 but it seems the only difference is the channel effects...if you dont use the effects anyway wouldnt this have been the better alternative vs price?

700 wasnt available when I got mine... I have had it nearly 3 years I think know. It is the channel filter which I do use, and the other effects which I don't anyways... So 700 wouldn't be ideal for me.

Back
Top Bottom