Xone 42 or 62

J-Lateral

Gonna be purchasing a new mixer soon and wondering which xone to go for..... My mixing style is long blends and DD's
Can any one gimme a full rundown?

Cheers

42:
Only 2 phono inputs as Riisu says
3 band EQ
1 filter
better effects routing than the 62
better meters than the 62
will soon be coming out in a very sexy black faceplate
sharper crossfader curve than the 62
has a proper cue blend

62:
4 phono inputs
4 band eq
2 filters
crappy 4 segment meters on the channels, although the main meter can be used to cue channels
crossfader assign is better than the 42
silver faceplate only
getting a cue blend is apparently a bit fiddly

You might find the 4 band EQ and dual filters of the 62 useful if long mixes is your thing. However the 42 is a more modern design. On the 62 you can assign each channel individually to either side of the crossfader or bypass. On the 42 you can only assign all the channels to a side or bypass all of them. The 62 has no proper cue blend, instead you have to assign something to an Aux channel in some long winded method. Personally I never use the blend so not an issue for me.

Tough choice. Personally I'd probably go for a 42, although I'd be very happy with either.

42:
Only 2 phono inputs as Riisu says
3 band EQ
1 filter
better effects routing than the 62
better meters than the 62
will soon be coming out in a very sexy black faceplate
sharper crossfader curve than the 62
has a proper cue blend

62:
4 phono inputs
4 band eq
2 filters
crappy 4 segment meters on the channels, although the main meter can be used to cue channels
crossfader assign is better than the 42
silver faceplate only
getting a cue blend is apparently a bit fiddly

You might find the 4 band EQ and dual filters of the 62 useful if long mixes is your thing. However the 42 is a more modern design. On the 62 you can assign each channel individually to either side of the crossfader or bypass. On the 42 you can only assign all the channels to a side or bypass all of them. The 62 has no proper cue blend, instead you have to assign something to an Aux channel in some long winded method. Personally I never use the blend so not an issue for me.

Tough choice. Personally I'd probably go for a 42, although I'd be very happy with either.

Very helpful DTR, many thanks for that really apreciate it mate. After doing some extensive research and reading your input i have decided to go for the 42.

by '1 filter' on the xone 42, do you mean you can only use one filter at once? i woulda thought with each channel having a control you could use any of them at any time?

Very helpful DTR, many thanks for that really apreciate it mate. After doing some extensive research and reading your input i have decided to go for the 42.

Glad to help, I hope you enjoy the new toy.

by '1 filter' on the xone 42, do you mean you can only use one filter at once? i woulda thought with each channel having a control you could use any of them at any time?

There is only one filter but you can send all the channels to it at once. If you want to mix only using the filters you're better off with two, then you can high-pass one and low-pass the other, Andy C style.

Yes you can use any of them at any time. The filter is set up the same as the 62 with the only difference being the 42 has the filters assignable to the upfaders and the 62 has the filters assignable to the crossfader.

There is only one filter but you can send all the channels to it at once. If you want to mix only using the filters you're better off with two, then you can high-pass one and low-pass the other, Andy C style.

You can only do that with the xone 92 though.

i getcha. i'm pretty sure just HP's both sides, been watching him mix at matter and he just uses them, i'm sure of it.
then just cuts the effect to a certain frequency (not sure exactly where) but that's how he'll bring in tunes and switch the bass, then just eq the rest of the tune accordingly.

thanks for the info tho, and thanks gloxxy too.

i would get a 42, but i just don't like the idea of only having 2 phonos, it's a bit cheeky by allen and heath.

I have tried all three but at the min I like the 62.
The problem is none of them are perfect they all have certain things the others don't.
When will A&H make the Xone 102 super mixer???

You can only do that with the xone 92 though.

Yes you are right. For some reason I got it in my head that the 62 had two filters, sorry about that.

i getcha. i'm pretty sure just HP's both sides, been watching him mix at matter and he just uses them, i'm sure of it.

Fair enough then, you obviously been paying attention! If I had a Xone I'd do it my way :P

i would get a 42, but i just don't like the idea of only having 2 phonos, it's a bit cheeky by allen and heath.

They have to hold back some of the features otherwise they'd be no point in selling the more expensive 62.

Does anyone know how to sucessfully achieve a decent Cue Blend on the 62, can't work it out for shit and its really bugging me having to listen to both at the same time to get any blend in the headphones.

Cheers (y)

Does anyone know how to sucessfully achieve a decent Cue Blend on the 62, can't work it out for shit and its really bugging me having to listen to both at the same time to get any blend in the headphones.

Cheers (y)

It's something to do with using the Aux. I think you have to cue the Aux, then use the Aux knob as a blend. Or something.

When will A&H make the Xone 102 super mixer???

A&H Xone 464?

xone464_front.jpg

It's something to do with using the Aux. I think you have to cue the Aux, then use the Aux knob as a blend. Or something.

Cheers DTR. Not quite conclusive enough tho, anyone else with first hand experience?

Oh nice one buddy, you don't have to do that tho.. I should really search myself lol!

42:
On the 62 you can assign each channel individually to either side of the crossfader or bypass. On the 42 you can only assign all the channels to a side or bypass all of them.

Apologies for digging up an old post, but the crossfader assignment has me slightly confused on the xone 42.

This is probably a stupid question ......... for example; if you have channel 1 assigned to the left side of the xfader and channel 4 assigned to the right side, are you still able to add channels 2&3 with into the mix with the channel faders or do you have to bypass the xfader in order to mix more than 2 channels simultaneously??

Im really tempted by a xone42 but this is just a little niggle which I wanted to clear up before I go ahead
Any help much appreciated :)

This is probably a stupid question ......... for example; if you have channel 1 assigned to the left side of the xfader and channel 4 assigned to the right side, are you still able to add channels 2&3 with into the mix with the channel faders or do you have to bypass the xfader in order to mix more than 2 channels simultaneously??

If you have channels 1 and 4 assigned to the crossfader, you have to assign 2 and 3 too. You can only use the crossfader if you assign all 4 channels. Individual channels don't have a "bypass the crossfader" option, you can only bypass by switching off the crossfader.

Back
Top Bottom