Xone 22 Problem

Rezin

Freeze Motherfucker
Xone22Small2.jpg

I recently upgraded to a Allen & Heath Xone 22 from a very cheap Numark mixer and had been loving the much better Xone until an accident on Saturday night. I was DJing in a local bar, only the 4th time I've used it out when my headphone jack got jerked out of the headphone socket by some idiot pushing up against me. I have headphones which have a mini jack, so was using a headphone adaptor, the one shown on the left here.

Adaptors.jpg

Notice how the end is missing, it seems to have broken off inside the headphone socket.

Xone22Small1.jpg

^I think those are the broken pieces inside the socket, but it would help if someone could confirm that it shouldn't look like that.

Xone22Small1redyellow.jpg

Adaptorsredyellow.jpg

I can use the other adaptor and still hear music playing but it is quiet, distorted and doesnt sound right. Has this ever happened to anybody? Can I open it up myself and sort it, or would I be better to send it back?

I bought it from chemical-records in February and still have the receipt, or would i be better to contact Allen & Heath straight away as it has a years warranty.

Also, would using a headphone jack adaptor invalidate the warranty?

Thx for any help

I had a go with tweezers but it seemed fairly solidly stuck. I didn't want to force it incase I broke anything.

Might aswell go ahead and have another go.

Weird.

The exact same thing happened to me with my Xone 42 a couple weeks ago.

At first I was majorly pissed but then remembered that it has two different headphone slots. The other allow any standard headphones without a jack.

Will need to get round to taking that part of the jack out at some point though, tweezers sounds like my best bet although it's lodged in pretty hard. :\

Yeah this is just a case of either popping the box open, or gettin a really small but long screw driver down there to lever it up. If tweezers cant get it then i think youd be better of taking the box apart, if you send it back you'll be without your mixer for fucking time and then they will charge you for the pleasure. Up to you tho, if you aint confident in taking it apart then don't risk it!

What I would suggest when dissasembly is do not force anything.... The thing will come apart but there is lots of little screws, and although you may think you have got all of them if it is a little stiff go through and check to ensure you havnt left a rogue screw in there somewhere.

One thing you could try is applying super glue or some kind of loc-tite thread locker to the end of the snap one, then reinsert it into the socket... Let it set and hopefully it should hold the broken bits strong enough for you to be able to remove it... You would then have to clean the socket out with pipe cleaner and solvents to remove any excess glue as this will act as an insulator.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried taking it apart today, got the eight T10 screws on the top out, only to find there are 3 on the back that are three T8 screws on the back. Will have to get a T8 screwdriver sometime.

I think i'll have to get inside it to fix it, as it really does not want to comeback out the socket the way it went in.

Coshh's answer is fucking good advice, i'd try the superglue thing first if I were you, will save you a shit load of hassle if it works.

Hats off greg, very good idea!

But be fucking careful with the superglue solution!
In the meantime you can use the mini jack on the back of the mixer.

And warranties don't include accidental damage (that would be insurance) so don't send it back unless it's the last resort!

Not sure about the glue, sounds like a good idea but I'd be sure to fuck it up somehow. Cheers anyway though man.

But be fucking careful with the superglue solution!
In the meantime you can use the mini jack on the back of the mixer.

And warranties don't include accidental damage (that would be insurance) so don't send it back unless it's the last resort!

I'd forgotten all about the jack on the back of it, I'll just use that for the time being. Worst comes to worst i'll claim it on my insurance and get it sorted.

Needle nose pliers (sp?) should do the trick mate. Much more grip and pressure than tweezers.

I would make sure you try everything before opening it up if what 'mrsfx' says is true about voiding the warranty.

Could a try and really strong magent or electro magnet that fits into the port but im not sure if it might damage the electrics somehow.

Theres a thin piece of metal inside the headphone socket that snaps into the indented bit of the plug to hold it securly in place (it works like a catch as you push the plug in and pull it out). From the pics you've uploaded I can see the catch is still holding the end of the plug in place so you are going to need an incredibly thin flat screw driver (glasses screwdriver if possible... you can buy one cheap from any opticians). Insert the screwdriver between the snapped piece of plub and the metal catch and gently push the catch inwards... tip the mixer upside down and after a gentle shake you should be sorted.

And next time use that metal adapter in the picture... not a plastic piece of shit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom