DnB Xiris - As Old As Time

Really love how you are playing with the chord progressions, I wont lie though ii dont think you are nailing it. While your choices arent jarring they dont jump out as amazing either although there are some nice little surprises here n there. Its a very hard concept to get the head around, I also try to make similar songs. My advice would be decide on one progression thats interesting make it loopy throw in one unexpected but clever change in the second drop (or before, key is to get people into that loop and surprise with soemthing even more interesting) and perhaps even trying some dissonant bass here n there. The pad sounds are good but maybe add some layers with a little detune for more dissonance? Again i havent got my head round it but these are things i try. As usual the mix is tight and sound choice is up there and fits the genre really well, never any complaints there with your work, wish I could get it that tight.
Im not sure if you are using a melody assistant or your own theory knowledge but ive started using something called Scaler recently and its been helping enormously, while pushing me to understand the theory better.
Free trial but worht every penny imo...
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3-Studio-Tools/93-Music-Theory-Tools/6439-Scaler-2

thanks for taking the time to dive in and write up a proper review! funnily enough, my first version of this track was just a 4 bar progression and i went back and expanded it all. The chord is actually a sample i bent around (which was a new play for me for a chord-based sound, i usually go with synths), I was trying to muck around with using that "slightly out of key" sound to try and make things more interesting. As it is a sample, i was stuck with a limited set of chord options where it would (pretty well) bend and stay in key. but it sounds like it hasn't panned out, hah. Looks like i've got some sample reconstruction to get to.

I'm definitely going to have a go with the detuned pads suggestion! I struggle getting pads filled out.

I'm definitely going to check out scaler, my theory knowledge is amateur, on a good day.

Just pitch samples within a scale, im working in B Lydian Augmented today and I know the keys i can use within the scale. B D D# F G G# Bb if my sample is B to get to D I would pitch up 3 semitones or down 9. Play with that logik all day and samples as much as they are a bit more unpredictable are very usable.
Say you get bored of B Lydia Augmentor, Scaler gives you the information to modulate into another scale.

I'm definitely checking out Scaler today. I know my basic major and natural minor stuff.. that's about it. Always wanted to learn more about gypsy scales/weird jazz stuff/i don't even know what's out there. What in the world is a Lydian Augmented scale? Definitely checking out Scaler today, hah.

So, you're working on a track? When are we gonna have some Manu tracks up in this sub?

For me its been key to understand this stuff but then i gravitate towards harmony in the music i listen to and produce. I like the dissonance as well and I dont think you can do that stuff through happy accidents.
I was listening to this song when I was out for a walk with the dog earlier...
And i wanted to know what scale they were using, through Scaler i managed to figure out it is in B Lydian Augmented #2 and ill spend the day messing with this scale. Thats my workflow really, find inspiration, figure out the theory and write something.

I would post here but im never dnb these days and im never happy either, my workflow has come on recently though i try to write a song every day i can.
Ive actually went full batty boy recently and started writing classical haha, ill post a track i done in the Spitfire thread since its more suited there.

Back
Top Bottom