XFade Curve automation causes un smooth bass???

TS Engage

Hey. Basically, I've been stuck trying to figure this out for nearly two hours now. Ive got my main bass playing from massive, and part of the automation on the midi track is set to change the Xfade curve slide down from a traingle to a reversed sine so that the bass would change from a "WAOW" sound to a "WOOAAAH" sound...that's the best way i can explain it. The problem is, every time i play it, the wave is different. Sometimes i can hardly hear it come through and sometimes its delayed. I uploaded a quick sample of it below and ive kept one of the hi hats in there so its kind of like a click so you can listen to how it delays etc. In the massive settings the "pos/sync/restart' are all selected as well so i cant figure out what it could be?

Cheers guys

I don't have Massive open so my wording may be a bit off.

Check under the LFO tab that is being used as a modulation source (most likely "5") and see if it's set to "restart." Restart is what you want as it will restart the defined LFO each time a key is pressed after being released.

Cheers.

I find this a pain in the arse with massive at times. Now I bounce a couple of attempts and keep the good ones so its secure and go from there.

I don't have Massive open so my wording may be a bit off.

Check under the LFO tab that is being used as a modulation source (most likely "5") and see if it's set to "restart." Restart is what you want as it will restart the defined LFO each time a key is pressed after being released.

It is set to restart :| Thats what I first made sure of when the problem occurred . Its odd, its like the lfo/automation is reacting late. It's got a mind of its own!? And its definitely not to do with notes being right next to each other because the last note in the group is far separated from the others yet it still wont follow the automation smoothly.

Prideinyouride
I find this a pain in the arse with massive at times. Now I bounce a couple of attempts and keep the good ones so its secure and go from there.

So this must just be a problem within massive? and not ableton?

Come to think of it, I do remember having a similar issue with some of the patches. It's was like every time I would play the arrangement it would sound right about 3 out of 5 times. I also recall no being able to comprehend what was going on after I disengaged all the LFO's and other mod sources and still kept getting the same result.

I believe I followed the same tactic as prideinyouride in that I just bounced the audio a couple times.

Ah that's annoying. I'm really comfortable using massive as well but if this is going to keep on happening i might switch back to Operator. I did use that for a while and i liked it but is there another vst similar to massive in terms of how the board works/designs the sounds? I have fm8 if thats near enough? I should really learn more in to fm8 anyway because the presets sound amazing. The problem i have with bouncing audio everytime is that if theres a slight change you want to make to automation etc. you wont be able to because its audio and not midi?

Yeah but just keep the instrument muted in the back ground do you can go back to it if you want to change anything. Plus once you've bounced it you can process it even further and get totally different sounds than if you were still in midi. Otherwise yeah, different VST.

Yeah but just keep the instrument muted in the back ground do you can go back to it if you want to change anything. Plus once you've bounced it you can process it even further and get totally different sounds than if you were still in midi. Otherwise yeah, different VST.

Right, so i'll just run the track with Massive still alongside the audio one, but muted, then i can unmute and record notes to the audio track when i want something new. Got ya.

just to clarify, you mean "process even further" as in adding effects (overdrive/chorus/distortion/phase/EQ. etc) ? Will that not get the same results as if it were done on the midi track?

I know there are some things that can really come in handy using audio like reversing and chopping up the sample. Are there any other things that I can do to the audio samples/tracks that i would not think of? Just to make a bass sound even more professional/interesting?

Cheers for the beers!

I find once rendered to audio that the effects sound different I can't describe it, my friend who's been producing much longer than I agrees too. I find it so much easier having something solid to work from.

Give it a try and make your own decision. Hope it helps.

Thanks. To be honest I will always trust someone with more experience and knowledge than me unless I'm 100% sure I want something to sound different. Sometimes you know what sound to get and the other person doesn't, but you dont know how to go about getting it and they do, so it's good to have people guide you on the ins and outs. I can imagine the effects working better as well because the wave is solid, where as midi has to work to get the same result each time its played?

But once again guys thanks!

Back
Top Bottom