DnB Xerxes - Sonic Bloom (liquid, but is it though?) (with new Ableton Technique)

Xerxes UK

D&B Producer & dj
Ive been trying out a new Technique with Ableton when composing tracks. I had this 'main' riff made up in my head (or from somewhere perhaps???) used some simple notes and beats, looped 8 bars and listened continually. Making up other possibilities in my head and then apply it to surround the main riff, with the a little tweak here and there. Beefing it up, playing off the main riff from time to time. As you can hear its actually a simple riff, but sounds like its filling most if not all the mid/low bands/freqs. Once I had my flow set out, I focused on drums and kicks - mastering all the way and then with fx. Hope this helps anyone new to producing.

Please review and comment too, would be much obliged ^ eye for an eye ;) Also, I mentioned in the title about this being liquid??? (I don't really focus on this when producing, I just let go and do what sounds best) What do you think?

cheers

@ 0:22 when the "wobbity wobbity" sound comes in I'd slap on a new layer of hats or tambs or something.

I couldn't disagree more with the "riff" filling out most the freqs, especially the lower end.

@ 2:12 there's a sound like a slightly annoyed dog.. It sounds really bad..

I'd change the riff part, give the drums lots more variation and break the track into different parts, not just a constant drone with the riff going "dudududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududududu!!"

I hear no 'annoyed dog' at all @ 2.12 - what speakers do you use????

define different parts?? it has a flow if that's what you mean? I think your being over the top with constant drone.... The riff I think is catchy and it does in fact variate, just only slightly with the accompanied bass. Thanks for you thoughts

I hear no 'annoyed dog' at all @ 2.12 - what speakers do you use????

I'm on my Sennheiser something something headphones. They're quite alright but act up on certain freqs from time to time. It's some kind of layered snare problem, well; I'd define it as a problem anyhow.

define different parts??

Errr.. Okay.. Like, add a breakdown somewhere? And / or let the bass chill out and the pads take over for a while and take us into space or whatever?

it has a flow if that's what you mean? I think your being over the top with constant drone....

Well, that's like your opinion, man.. EDIT: There's notihng surprising about any part of the riff, it goes 1234 1234 1234 1234, 1234 1234 1234 1234 1234, 1234 1234 1234 1234, 1234 1234 1234 1234 ad nauseum, never changes, nothing ever happens to it apart from having a little bit of low pass added here and there..

The riff I think is catchy and it does in fact variate, just only slightly with the accompanied bass.

If you like it this way that's fine so I guess we'll have to agree to disagree..

Thanks for you thoughts

Think nothing of it!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom