WTF is a roller?!

Stepper is more funky, compare Flex to those Break tunes and you'll hear the difference. Drums vary a bit more, there's a often use of moments of quiet as opposed to rollers, which are basically solid walls of sound.

you've just fucked this whole thread over, twice... wtf is a stepper..?

hahahah.. that gave me a good laugh.

as someone else has mentioned, to me the differences in rollers and steppers are in how they sound. rollers keep rolling and steppers step. but these can be different from how others will perceive them. but in the end its all dnb to me. some of its good and some of its bad.

Rollin' tunes to me were the ones that had beats & bass that just seem to continuously flow with more subtle builds & variations where you just got into a groove but then I'm thinking back to tunes of the mid-90's. Something like 'Night Flight'.

Steppa (or Hardstep) tunes were the ones that had a beat that was less flowing (more stop-start 2 step). A bit like the beat of 'Shadow Boxing'.

Rollin' tunes to me were the ones that had beats & bass that just seem to continuously flow with more subtle builds & variations where you just got into a groove but then I'm thinking back to tunes of the mid-90's. Something like 'Night Flight'.

Steppa (or Hardstep) tunes were the ones that had a beat that was less flowing (more stop-start 2 step). A bit like the beat of 'Shadow Boxing'.

Yea I know what you mean. The definition of roller and stepper has changed since the 90s. That's why it's such a loose term where no one can clearly define the two

Rollers don't have to be strictly standard 2 step drum pattern either though. This is quite a steppy beat but I'd say it definitely rolls along, got that momentum

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so hard to describe without just feeling it haha.

Steppers make you wanna snap your neck and 'step' to a very defined, punchy beat, rollers are a bit more floaty. Normally more full drums where no hit is emphasized much more strongly then the others and the bass line seems to just carry over between bars.

Off the top of my head without being able to listen to anything right now (so let's hope this doesn't just confuse things), Need For Mirrors & Zero T- Tilt, is a good example of a stepper, and as said Break tunes in general are rollers.

Back
Top Bottom