writing drum patterns

nihil8

since i started writing my own dnb (only about a year) I've always produced the beats using either a drum machine or single hit drum samples. I was just wondering whether this is a common method to write drum patterns with drum n bass, or whether most producers these days mainly only cut up and play around with 1 or 2 bar samples. I'm thinking maybe my method may not be the best if im gonna create some really fat sounding beats, as the actual sounds of each drum often don't sound too good. Is this method ok if i do enough filtering/ compression on each of the drum sounds?
thanks in advance.

Hows it going, i find the best way to get good hard hitting drums, is if you double or triple up on what ur using. i.e. place 1 kick drum over another, this makes it sound alot fuller. Add a little reverb & you can start adding more drums on top.

Last edited:
Yer any sound you are trying to buff up, can be done in this way. I don't have alot of packages but Im mainly using Fruity Loops, & it's more than capable for decent sounds. If you do try this, also Export it as a WAV.File & save it. Then import it back in & you won't have to worry about what combinations you put together because there already saved.

nice one, ill definately have a go at this tomorrow. i mainly use cubase at the moment but i reckon i could probably do stuff like this in Sound Forge with the mix function. sounds like a decent idea. i can never get my head round all these compression FX in sound forge but this seems like it could work quite well for making a fatter sound.

Easy now, I'm getting heavy into using individual drums, but the best stuff (IMHO) I've done is using loops AND adding extra kicks and snares in myself. The quantizer in the piano roll is pretty helpful at times!!

Someitmes you can get a real good result by combining a really hard yet clean kick and snare with not much texture over a very rough sounding break with the low end chopped out.
That way you get the real filthy high end of the break but with maximum impact.

If you combine sounds make sure they don't have to fight for space. Try to let each one occupy a different frequency range, in particular if you got 2 kicks with loads of bass firing off at the same time it can sound a bit crap.

Back
Top Bottom