Writing BPM & keys next to track name

Veno

This way you dont have fun pitching your tunes to sync, and all that stuff... I've seen people burn tracks to CDs with same BPMs, tagging CD's or records with numbers so they can build up their tracklist in some order they decided at home, etc... Woudn't it feel like cheating? It would look to me like I'm not good enough to sync them live on time, making me less valuable as a DJ in my own eyes and the eyes of others

What's your oppinion about this?

i use bpm's and have them written down next to the track name. who cares? if you can use technology to make your mixing faster and more accurate why not use it? you read off the bpm's a couple times and you ll remember them, so you dont have to alwyas be checking.

^ what he said; i started off using bpms and found it really helpful getting tracks synced as it gives a rough estimate of where the pitch should be. Eventaully you begin to learn the bpms without having to check and you can get tracks locked without using them.

On another note, i found key signatures really helpful...good to know what tracks are likely to mix smoothly and ive found many a double drop and blend i probably never wouldve discovered if i hadnt looked at
their key signatures.

pre-pitched cds on the other hand...ye thats pretty much 'cheating' imo

after you have been doing it for a while it becomes soooo... well not easy but second nature.
knowing the bpms really isn't gonna help u, just stick on a tune, beatmatch and away u go.

relying on such things is only gonna make it take that much longer for u to be good at it

it takes me a couple of seconds tops to move the pitch up and down a few times to find the rough pitch, i dont need to research all the bpms and write them down, pointless operation.

but hey, whatever works for people

keys make sense esp in the beginning as youll get much more confident and experienced that what you hear is right. toooooo many people mixing tunes that are so awfully offkey it actually hurts.

^^ Yeh it makes me cringe like sin when I hear a mix out of key.. Ima like "How the FUCCCK can you not hear how shit that sounds!!!?"

Mixed in Key is the program to use if you are on MP3s, if not then Chemical Records lists them far ya ;)

Back
Top Bottom