Writing a melody/bassline

Dj Jammin

VIP Junglist
Right my problem is that ive got a good bass sound a nice crisp beat but i cant seem to write a good melody for it do most drum n bass tunes use sharps or is it totally up to the producer, is there any set guidelines... all mine turn out to be fucked up.. any advice would help... should i go by scale thingy in that other production thread..

Last edited:
i cant seem to write a good melody for it do most drum n bass tunes use sharps..
Some music theory training would definitely help!!
technically any note could be deemed a sharp, all depends on the scalic context of the pitch in question
to diagnose the problem, analyse what exactly is "wrong" with your melodies in the first place

do they sound too "cheesy"?
are the in the same key as the the rest of the tune?
things like that
any more questions just ask!

I really wish i listened in music class at school.. The problem with my melodies is that they sound random... like someones just hit a few keys on a keyboard without looking i cant seem to get a structure to my melody

Music theory can be very helpful, but you can also learn a lot by just listening to other artists. How did they do the melodies you like? Try and disect the music and see if you can recreate those type of melodies.
I don't know what type of audio software you use but if you have anything with a piano roll you could try playing the part with the melody in a loop and see what happens when you shift some of the notes up and down the scale.
Good luck!

yeah im using fruity piano roll... i think the main thing is keep it simple i always over complicate my melodies

its not a bad idear you know, there are programs that take what you sing into the mic and make midi from it, been thinking of downloading a program like that for ages.

do you know of any names of programs that do that? sounds interesting.

You can even make cool basslines recording your voice and then process it till it's unrecognizable. You don't need to turn it into MIDI. You can use audio parts.:idea:

-- ANTARES KANTOS --

Kantos is a VST plugin that will map it's input to an LFO, synth's pitch, cutoff filter, etc

You can match the pitch/amplitude/blah of a synth inside kantos to your voice's.

I would suggest a strict auto-tune to remove the natural transition between tones (also helps if you can't sing :oops:), then pump it into Kantos and see what it sounds like..

:hagglers: Gimme my money bisssh!

--P.S. you aren't limited to using your voice obviously!

i dont know much about music theory
i dont even really try to write melody it just sortof happens
keep trying and trying
experience is the best teacher
absorbing surrounding knoweledge helps too

Back
Top Bottom