Writers block

Mr Fletch

aka KRONIX
VIP Junglist
So for the last week or so I've had good ol writers block! Nothings inspiring me, the ideas I have in my head I cannot seem to get down. I've started four seperate tracks now, and discarded them all because nothing seems to gel together!

So, what do you lot do when this happens to you?

I usually have an idea in my head.
but the best thing to do i would say is find a sample, anything you can, even if it's just a little horn stab and work around it. Personally I've started making tunes that are nothing to do with drum and bass or 174bpm, I just go with the flow, or cut some drums. Just express yourself, don't get tied down to making "sick dnb"
Just my opinion anyway, either way, samples are good... try some classical music or something

i get this every now and then just keep makin little bits an that an sumfin will end up goin sumwere.
well that works for me kind of.:D

Yeah I've had it happen before, and I just pushed through it until something come together. I was just curious what you guys do when it happens to you?

Do something else. Watch a good movie, read a novel. Go out and see the bare, leafless trees. Paint. Fuck. Take a walk. Grab a recorder and capture the sounds of your surroudings.

Anything else.

this anything to take your mind off of it. Then come back and your creativity with naturally spawn .

the position im in, and always have been in, is basically constant writers block, and then a few hours maybe once a week where ill mash out a full song, turns to shit, and back to the block.. its awesome.

Last edited:
Yup, turn to a backup hobby. I take my motard out for a hoon or go to the track. Or sometimes find some new sounds to play with or even produce a totally different style. But most times if I'm set on putting something together I'll just load up a synth and jam away. :)

i get this every now and then just keep makin little bits an that an sumfin will end up goin sumwere.

pretty much. (y)
if i cant come up with any good ideas for tunes, then i just make some odd bits, like atmos and pads, lead sounds, acid lines, and of course beats. anything really, just hum a bass or a screech a sound, and try to make something that sounds like it. usually the end result sound nothing like what i hummed earlier, but its till something new.
i mean, you dont always have to be inspired to do some work, its not like a writers job. theres always little bit that you can do by purely following some parameters. eg get a bass sound on a synth, throw 32 envelopes on it, and keep tweaking until it sound naish. or add a huge effects chain to any odd sound, and observe how it reacts to any adjustments.
generally, i have used the "im not inspired today" excuse many times to myself. but its bollocks man, you really need to push through and just do work. its still fun, you just need to switch the computer on, and get going. once in there, and find something that sound good to you, the fun will start and teh ideas will flow.

Well, when you are inspired there are many mundane things you don't want to be doing, like spending hours searching for vocal samples, or perhaps patch building, experimenting with different fx chains, hunting for kicks that fit together, reading tutorials etc etc.

So in those un-inspired times I sometimes do things like that. Often doing these things will spark some creative idea anyway.

try making something that aint dnb or dubstep, set yourself a little challenge to remix something ridiculous. I did it with scatman, just to test your technical ability in some way. Spend a day going thru mp3's sampling tiny loops of music, then chop em up in a slicex type device. Maybe record some strange vocals or go thru your xbox games, cutscenes and find some decent samples to theme a track.

learn the different modes and scales, you will be bored within 10mins and want to make some tunes.
erm, listen to something different, make something different. learn how to make a violin on a synth. :rinsed:

This is the same with me. No matter how uninspired I am, i'll just randomly start hitting notes on my Novation, with a randomly loaded synth, and preset.

I always end up finding something to keep going on. :P

ive had writers block for the longest period of time now. i finished 2 solo tunes last year. my group projects are doing fine but i cant seem to make it happen when im by myself. i treid to inject some creativity by spending money on new gear, sort of like a relationship both know is doomed but you try and make it work again by spending money on a weekend in paris or something. difference is it worked, ive got motivation now, so after i move to my new flat, ill be writing me some music.

completly agree with alot of these comments, its all about being productive in other ways.

spending time creating new sounds and finding new samples is still very productive and you can use all your new sounds when you feel creative enough to write a track again...

i came up with the idea if i make one new bass sound per day and learn one new scale per day then my progress would would flourish... haha i havnt actually put that theory into practice yet tho perhaps because ive been too busy writing tracks :p

difference is it worked, ive got motivation now, so after i move to my new flat, ill be writing me some music.

dont want to put pressure on you, but i'm really waiting for this. Salivating in anticipation. like getting a blowjob while on your back and afterwards noticing how your buttcheeks are covered in spit.

well not exactly like that

Yup, turn to a backup hobby. I take my motard out for a hoon or go to the track. Or sometimes find some new sounds to play with or even produce a totally different style. But most times if I'm set on putting something together I'll just load up a synth and jam away. :)

This and like others have said/agree, just do something else.

I play Games or I'll work on older Projects that never went anywhere.

pretty much. (y)
if i cant come up with any good ideas for tunes, then i just make some odd bits, like atmos and pads, lead sounds, acid lines, and of course beats. anything really, just hum a bass or a screech a sound, and try to make something that sounds like it. usually the end result sound nothing like what i hummed earlier, but its till something new.
i mean, you dont always have to be inspired to do some work, its not like a writers job. theres always little bit that you can do by purely following some parameters. eg get a bass sound on a synth, throw 32 envelopes on it, and keep tweaking until it sound naish. or add a huge effects chain to any odd sound, and observe how it reacts to any adjustments.
generally, i have used the "im not inspired today" excuse many times to myself. but its bollocks man, you really need to push through and just do work. its still fun, you just need to switch the computer on, and get going. once in there, and find something that sound good to you, the fun will start and teh ideas will flow.

definitely

Well, when you are inspired there are many mundane things you don't want to be doing, like spending hours searching for vocal samples, or perhaps patch building, experimenting with different fx chains, hunting for kicks that fit together, reading tutorials etc etc.

So in those un-inspired times I sometimes do things like that. Often doing these things will spark some creative idea anyway.

Fantastic point! Although, I quite like doing those things too, lol..

completly agree with alot of these comments, its all about being productive in other ways.

spending time creating new sounds and finding new samples is still very productive and you can use all your new sounds when you feel creative enough to write a track again...

i came up with the idea if i make one new bass sound per day and learn one new scale per day then my progress would would flourish... haha i havnt actually put that theory into practice yet tho perhaps because ive been too busy writing tracks :p

Wow, 365 Bass sounds is a lot of sounds when you think about it. If they're all individual in key and melody, that's 365 possible tracks eh... :D

dont want to put pressure on you, but i'm really waiting for this. Salivating in anticipation. like getting a blowjob while on your back and afterwards noticing how your buttcheeks are covered in spit.

well not exactly like that

What kind of BJs are you gettin.....
:censored:

multi quote ftw
:borat:

Back
Top Bottom