Writers block

Discussion in 'Production' started by Mr Fletch, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

So for the last week or so I've had good ol writers block! Nothings inspiring me, the ideas I have in my head I cannot seem to get down. I've started four seperate tracks now, and discarded them all because nothing seems to gel together!

So, what do you lot do when this happens to you?

2. ali^

ali^ Bigtingsagwarn

I usually have an idea in my head.
    but the best thing to do i would say is find a sample, anything you can, even if it's just a little horn stab and work around it. Personally I've started making tunes that are nothing to do with drum and bass or 174bpm, I just go with the flow, or cut some drums. Just express yourself, don't get tied down to making "sick dnb"
    Just my opinion anyway, either way, samples are good... try some classical music or something

3. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

i get this every now and then just keep makin little bits an that an sumfin will end up goin sumwere.
    well that works for me kind of.:D

4. dafo93

dafo93 SWITCH FUSION

Don't worry, it will pass! Just listen to as many things as you can to find that one tune which will inspire you. I hate it when it happens though, but I've only had it about twice.

5. kama

kama benkama.net

Do something else. Watch a good movie, read a novel. Go out and see the bare, leafless trees. Paint. Fuck. Take a walk. Grab a recorder and capture the sounds of your surroudings.

Anything else.

6. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Yeah I've had it happen before, and I just pushed through it until something come together. I was just curious what you guys do when it happens to you?

7. funkmod

funkmod Member

this anything to take your mind off of it. Then come back and your creativity with naturally spawn .

8. dexter

dexter Member

the position im in, and always have been in, is basically constant writers block, and then a few hours maybe once a week where ill mash out a full song, turns to shit, and back to the block.. its awesome.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  9. druu

druu Member

Yup, turn to a backup hobby. I take my motard out for a hoon or go to the track. Or sometimes find some new sounds to play with or even produce a totally different style. But most times if I'm set on putting something together I'll just load up a synth and jam away. :)

10. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

pretty much. (y)
    if i cant come up with any good ideas for tunes, then i just make some odd bits, like atmos and pads, lead sounds, acid lines, and of course beats. anything really, just hum a bass or a screech a sound, and try to make something that sounds like it. usually the end result sound nothing like what i hummed earlier, but its till something new.
    i mean, you dont always have to be inspired to do some work, its not like a writers job. theres always little bit that you can do by purely following some parameters. eg get a bass sound on a synth, throw 32 envelopes on it, and keep tweaking until it sound naish. or add a huge effects chain to any odd sound, and observe how it reacts to any adjustments.
    generally, i have used the "im not inspired today" excuse many times to myself. but its bollocks man, you really need to push through and just do work. its still fun, you just need to switch the computer on, and get going. once in there, and find something that sound good to you, the fun will start and teh ideas will flow.

11. subprime

subprime Dysjoint

Well, when you are inspired there are many mundane things you don't want to be doing, like spending hours searching for vocal samples, or perhaps patch building, experimenting with different fx chains, hunting for kicks that fit together, reading tutorials etc etc.

So in those un-inspired times I sometimes do things like that. Often doing these things will spark some creative idea anyway.

12. Fratanize

Fratanize Keepin the jungle alive

try making something that aint dnb or dubstep, set yourself a little challenge to remix something ridiculous. I did it with scatman, just to test your technical ability in some way. Spend a day going thru mp3's sampling tiny loops of music, then chop em up in a slicex type device. Maybe record some strange vocals or go thru your xbox games, cutscenes and find some decent samples to theme a track.

13. TongueFlap

TongueFlap Flappin'

learn the different modes and scales, you will be bored within 10mins and want to make some tunes.
    erm, listen to something different, make something different. learn how to make a violin on a synth. :rinsed:

14. TeeHaichCee

TeeHaichCee Proh-Deuce-Ah

This is the same with me. No matter how uninspired I am, i'll just randomly start hitting notes on my Novation, with a randomly loaded synth, and preset.

I always end up finding something to keep going on. :p

15. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ive had writers block for the longest period of time now. i finished 2 solo tunes last year. my group projects are doing fine but i cant seem to make it happen when im by myself. i treid to inject some creativity by spending money on new gear, sort of like a relationship both know is doomed but you try and make it work again by spending money on a weekend in paris or something. difference is it worked, ive got motivation now, so after i move to my new flat, ill be writing me some music.

16. Sammy_Dodger

Sammy_Dodger Mr Ed

17. luciduk

luciduk Active Member

completly agree with alot of these comments, its all about being productive in other ways.

spending time creating new sounds and finding new samples is still very productive and you can use all your new sounds when you feel creative enough to write a track again...

i came up with the idea if i make one new bass sound per day and learn one new scale per day then my progress would would flourish... haha i havnt actually put that theory into practice yet tho perhaps because ive been too busy writing tracks :p

18. kama

kama benkama.net

dont want to put pressure on you, but i'm really waiting for this. Salivating in anticipation. like getting a blowjob while on your back and afterwards noticing how your buttcheeks are covered in spit.

well not exactly like that

19. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

this^^

looking forward to that aswell mr logikz ;)

20. Krispy

Krispy Member

My problem is trying to pull myself away from the PS3 or other things and jumping back on Ableton. Life can be so distracting