Writers Block

djdevz

VIP Junglist
I've been working on a tune for a few days, and the production side of it is getting to me and stopping me from being creative and actually playing music.

And I've been listening to what ive done over and over again, i think ive become sick of what ive made and can't truly express my creativity in progressing the track.

Have any of you guys been in a similar situation, and how do you get back on track?

Sorry if my post sounds random/confusing/all over the place lol...

yeah i know what you mean. After a while you just get bored by your own song and then you decide to start something new.. What i do is just stop for some days, listen to other songs for inspiration and then continue later where i stopped.

start a new track :D

It can be hard, espcially when you have put allot of hours into a track, but once the flow has gone, and you start hating what you hear, I think its time to move on, creativity definitly flows better when you are enjoying what you hear. I start a new tack all the time, one a day often, most are shit, but in every one of them I try out new techniques, then every 4-5 tracks, I make something I like, that incorperates everything I've learnt, it makes the hours that I feel like i've wasted on the other 4 tracks worth the effort

I have 3 project folders 'experimental' where I put most stuff that I dont think i'll use, 'maybe' is stuff I like but hate and have spent to long on, and 'finished' which is slowly filling with stuff i like and have pretty much finished :) ...everything in my finished folder, was 90% finished within 1 day, it seems other producers I know work the same way, their best stuff comes out quickly, everything else is learning

thanks for the comments...but im making a remix for a competition so i don't really want to start a new track.
Some aspects of what ive done are good, but its demotivating to strip most of the stuff out and start from a small base.

but im gonna chill out for a few days n listen to some other stuff, maybe try making a different genre... like house :P

maybe i can come back with a fresh mind and bags of creativity.

part of being an artist is knowing when to say when. could be that its finished you know.

do u mean the track is finished, or me as an artist is finished?

thanks for the comments...but im making a remix for a competition so i don't really want to start a new track.
Some aspects of what ive done are good, but its demotivating to strip most of the stuff out and start from a small base.

but im gonna chill out for a few days n listen to some other stuff, maybe try making a different genre... like house :P

yeah it can be hard, us artists are really crap at looking at our work objectivly, but i think its an important part of becoming a good producer, to know when its time to move onto sumthing new, you can always take what you learnt from it, and put it into something new...every time i've forced myself to do that, the next track is allot better and I'm always glad i did, I dont think i've ever come back to a track after a few days/week and done anything amazing with it, often it just gets left to rot and forgotten bout, bit of a shame

Last edited:
writers block seems to be goin around these days i have it couple of my mates do to its so frustrating

yeah it can be hard, us artists are really crap at looking at our work objectivly, but i think its an important part of becoming a good producer, to know when its time to move onto sumthing new, you can always take what you learnt from it, and put it into something new...every time i've forced myself to do that, the next track is allot better and I'm always glad i did, I dont think i've ever come back to a track after a few days/week and done anything amazing with it, often it just gets left to rot and forgotten bout, bit of a shame

You know what, I think you're right...i think im just going to start again on the remix, but after a few days. I sort of changed it around to begin with, then i was building from a bad base which is never a good thing.
i did learn a lil from making what ive done so far, so ill take that as a lesson learned and ill add it to my artillery of techniques to be used for future tracks :D

@logikz just making sure :) i definitely havent given my all as an artist just yet :P

Save what you have, so you don't feel like you're losing your work, start a new version from the same point and be ruthless, chopping stuff out, re-arranging it.
Trust me, it's an excellent way to turn one unfinished track into 3 or 4 un finished tracks ;)

Happens all the time bro!

When on one tune for a long time, id say leave it be for a little while, maybe a couple of months
come back to it later, you would probably have fresh ideas for it too

I just got myself out of a writers block, had it for 2 months didnt write a thing

Finally got ourselves out of it and made two fresh bits, with several workable ideas

Back
Top Bottom