Wow that bass... How to recreate it?

Quotec

So I was listening to some stuff around Youtube and found a less known producer Tomek N. Listened through some of his tracks and wasn´t too impressed(his style is just not my type of roller). I gave him a last chance if I can say so and I stumbled upon a pure gold. Luckily, for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW-rmndcrFI

I always wanted to make this type of bass, but I still haven´t figured out how to do it. You can hear that amazing bass starting at 0:44. How to recreate it? What tools should I use? I can´t even tell which waves is it made of, lol. Dominantly few layers of detuned sine???? Please help me folks, I am losing the point of life if I am not going to have this bass made on my own.

It's called a reese bass, there are many different variations but the crux of it is detuned saws man, then distort, probably tube. Any synth that has at least two oscillators can make one. If you were to use massive it would look like osc 1 = saw, -24.33. osc 2 = saw -23.67.
Detuned sines dont really have the harmonic content to make a reese but rather a wobble.

make a standard reese and lowpass it, maybe some pitch bending to get cool slides

Hmm, experimented today a bit, actually reese didn´t work out so fine to make this bass? Reese sounds too disturbing(growly? don´t know the exact term) and there´s a lot of clicking going on there which is annoying(btw how to get rid of that clicking?). The bass in this track though sounds pretty smooth yet heavy. Or maybe I am doing something wrong with filters and FX? I tried to LP it, but it didn´t sound smooth and full. Any ideas?

normally a lowpass should do it. In the song it's definitely a reese
Make sure you don't overdrive it, just a smooth, crunchy overdrive does it for me. And then quite heavily lowpass it. Split it, tweak it, have fun...
This does the job for me atleast

Hello! I made this track quite a while ago but I think this is just your standard reece with portamento and a lowpass filter. I usually highpass the reece and replace the sub frequencies with either a sine or lowpassed square to even out any phasing that happens when you whack choruses on and turn up the unison on massive.

Hope that helps, glad you like the track :)

Oh wow, you too here! Cheers mate for your advice! Not gonna lie I raped the replay button and could say this is my favorite track atm.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, can you tell me what FX did you use on that reese bass aside from chorus? I tried some distortion and multiband compression.

I don't really remember off the top of my head - this project is on my old PC which I havent turned on for about a year. I've been meaning to bounce some stems off of it for ages though, I'll try and have a look for you when i get around to it.

Reeces get a bit funky in the lows sometimes (volume going up and down) so basically what you need to do is compress the living fuck out of it after you do the lowpass so it has the consistent sound while still 'moving' OR replace the sub with a sine wave on another synth.

I think even if tomekn tried to recreate that bass it would always sound a bit different I made this one with a lowpass reese sounds similar ish, just go for your own little twist on it quotec
before I put a filter on it, it sounded too raw and hard so bare that in mind....

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, I managed to recreate something and it sounds really beast! Tho I struggle with proper eqing and filtering, sounds a little muddy and is limited in spectrum.

- - - Updated - - -

And garffi3 mate, really nice vibe you have there!

Back
Top Bottom