Worst Job you've had?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by D BREAKNECK, Jul 22, 2009.

1. D BREAKNECK

D BREAKNECK 7 years on top

To help relieve my boredom, I ask you 'What's the worst job you've ever had and why?'

Mine was my previous job, Duty Manager in a multi-purpose arts centre that was badly under resourced.

Highlights included setting rooms up for conferences / wedding parties which involved wheeling upto 150 chairs into rooms and setting them up. Wheeling tables / chairs round for 2 hrs is pretty exhausting.

Seeing security man get face slashed up at a Dancehall night.
    Just before I started there at been a shooting outside front door involving kids from an under 18's event inside. Shot kid survived but had his trainers and phone jacked by shooter as he was lying there dripping.

Managing late night events and not leaving work til 4am.

Opening up building for daytime events as early as 7:30am.

Chasing gangs of kids / teens out of building in the evening, spesh some of the older ones, 13/14 year olds, one who was big, would always try and start shit with me when I tried to chuck him out, who'd got a record for street robbery, behavioural problems and was excluded from school.

No CCTV in building or any kind of security unless late night night events were on, and this is in Hulme / Moss Side area. i.e. Manchester ghetto / crime hotspot.

One night a gang of 7 lads came in as I was locking up, typically on the night the front door fell off hinges as I was locking it, started tryna climb over reception counter, only me and female reception in building, she panicked, called cops (who arrived 2hrs later:rolleyes:), lads started kicking off. All I could do was try and calm scene down and talk them out, managed to secure door with metal bar, then they stood outside for 1/2 hour banging on doors and shouting. Receptionist nearly having nervous breakdown. Nice.

Was shit. Not well paid either, but had to do it to support baby & had just moved up North, had applied for loads of jobs and it was the 1st one that came up. So glad I don't do that anymore.

:)

2. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

was that zion centre by any chance ?

3. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

I worked as a Cook for KFC that was pretty shit lasted about 2 or 3 months and got sacked for not turning up... Highlights taking Jibblets out of chicken eww, cleaning machines at the end of the night.

Also worked in a pub in fallowfield for about a year an a half... Every saturday night it would kick off, people throwing chairs about people bottling each other... Ended up with most of the regular customers barred then it went quiet an pretty chilled but the pub wasnt making much money so the land lady sold up... We got a new land lady an thinkin she was some smart ass an down with the locals she lifted all bans... For the first month or so it wasnt to bad but then I ended up leaving because it all started kickin off again and it becamse a regualar thing for people to pull a knifes out on sunday evenings... First few times the locals wrestled the knife of them then the last sunday someone got stabbed in the face and arm... Plus I also started my new job so couldnt be arsed with the mission anymore as I was having to travel from one side of manchester to the other.

4. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

My uncle used to work at an airport and I can't remember for what reason it was but I ended up at manchester airport moving shitloads of oranges out of an airport freight containers. I was there for like 10hours for sat and sun for a whole month I was about 12. I got paid £50.

5. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Which pub in fallows was it scotty? surely not queen of tarts? I might hazard wetherspoons or lloyds as it used to be known?

6. D BREAKNECK

Sure was. You know it?

They do some good activities there, but management / resources are a joke.

7. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

Working in a bakery when I was 17. Paid £3.20 an hour (minimum wage for under 18's back then) working from 7 until 5 five days a week.
    Hot, sweaty and full of absolute pricks.
    I worked at McDonalds after that which would have been unbearable if it wasn't for all the easy clunge that I dipped into.

8. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

I had 3 birds who worked at greggs. They got paid jack shit and I heard about it to no end. I feel your pain.

9. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Done Security for Chub in Notts with various similar outcomes as you have described...

Worst job was in a Call Centre in Brighton.

Literally had no choice, as rent etc was due.

Basically sat in a lightless basement for 12 hours a day repeating the same script down the phone, over & over, only to have people scream abuse/ask for supervisor etc.

Was well into my drugs at the time, especially acid/mushrooms/mdma & it literallly started to drive me insane, I would go out on town & be repeating the Call Centre Script over & over in my head, then as I got more hammered, I would start mumbling it under my breath, then when I was completely fucked I would just say it to people, randoms in clubs or in the street... :(

GF at the time got proper worried & said maybe I should knock the job onn the head.

So went back & explained that I was having some "negative side-effects" from the job, was there anything else they could put me on?

I will never for get this...

Bloke says to me:

- "Well we have some excellent sales positions at the mo, starts at £28 ph, then the commision on each sale ranges from £69.99 - £299.99!"

Me: "WOW! Ok... Whats it all about?"

- "There are 2 assignments running. 1st one is for a subsiduary company of Sky, trying to sell replacement boxes & dishes to customers whos products are out of warranty & could be a potential fire hazard..."

Me: "Hmmm... Sounds a bit high pressure, what the other one?"

- "The other one is selling d.i.y Cervical Smear Test kits to Ladies that have had Cervical Cancer."

Me: "Jesus! Think thats a bit too much for me... I will have a go at the 1st one."

Go home, chuffed i've got some £28 p.h job, get there 1st day...

Briefing starts, turns out the database of people to call are basically old ladies (70+) that have had a Sky dish for over a year & live at home on their own & I was gonna be ringing them & scaremongering, basically saying:

"It's out of warranty & is a fire hazard & if lightning strikes it, it could set fire & burn your house down, you need to buy one off me now for £350 otherwise you could burn in your sleep!!!"

I got up & said: "Fuck this! How do you sleep at night?"

Cocky supervisor replies: "Very comfortably in my double kingsize with water mattress that this job bought me!"

As I was walking out the door: "Well you carry on sucking Satans cock, you souless cunt, 'cus I would rather be homeless & starving than do that!"

Dunno if this sort of thing still goes on, but it disgusted me.

Bleakness.

10. D BREAKNECK

MOSKIT - "As I was walking out the door: "Well you carry on sucking Satans cock, you souless cunt, 'cus I would rather be homeless & starving than do that!"

Good line!

11. JamesZero

JamesZero aka Zero Beats

I haven't has anything too bad. My first job was working in Sainsburys stacking shelves. Loads of my mates all worked there as well so it was a good laugh sometimes.

I then got a job working in my local record shop, it was supposed to be helping out here and then but it then turned into me working 6 sometimes 7 days a week there and I loved it. Not the best pay in the world but it was such a easy job. Unfortunatly it closed down.

I did some temping work after because I needed the money... that was shit... ranged from call centres to washing dishes in a school...

Then finally I got the job I'm in now, which I have been at for the last 5 and half years or so.

12. Gloxxy

Gloxxy I SNORT COAL

That's fucking shit Moskit. I've got too much of a conscience to do anything like that. You need to be completely devoid of a blood pumping muscle to do that shit!

13. boobjunkie

boobjunkie Active Member

night shifts at a factory is the worst i've had, 10pm-6am stacking tubs of jam onto pallets surrounded by latvians, slovakians and poles

14. dose.bs1

dose.bs1 THE DADDY

Working in the kitchen and as a chef in a conference centre serving cocky cunts all day and all night, they all for they were the dogs bollox.. I hated that. I got sacked for nicking champange and other drinks and necking them in the toilets, they found out from all the empty bottle tops on the floor, oh yeah and finding me with them !

15. Moskit

One of my good mates, works in a factory that, collects, disposes of contents & cleans Sanitary Bins from Public Toilets...

Poor cunt, he was saying on hot days the stench is unbearable.

Gets paid well for it, but fuck that.

Still, 2nd week he worked there, he found a oz of sniff & £3000 in cash in one.

He sniffed one line of the coke & got para that he would get AIDS or something equally vile, so sold the rest & kept the £3000, obviously.

No amount of insentive could make me do this job.

16. ScottyEightSix

Nah man worked in a proper locals pub, you heard of 'The Mauldeth'? its on the corner of Mauldeth Road & Kingsway technicly edge of Burnage/Fallowfield. Not the best place to work when your a student as most of the locals hate them. But I used to live at number 173 Mauldeth Road so it was literally 30 secs walk from my house.

17. ScottyEightSix

You should have took the job an just made sure you didnt make any sales, mean while looking for another job... All they can do is sack you but getting £28 an hour for a few days would leave you with a nice lil sum of money

18. Moskit

But I have a concience.

(Believe it or not :teeth:)

19. ScottyEightSix

Thats why I said make sure you dont make any sales...

20. Moskit

But I would still be employed by & allthough not making any sales, I would still be selling my soul to Satan.

Even if I could forget that... How you gonna be in a sales job on the 1st day & quite blatantly not make any sales lol?

I'm sure they would be wise to that shit.