Working with vocals?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Ease, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ease

Ease Member

so i have been doing a remix of chucky d wine fast wine slow(with reason 5 (accapella available here for anyone that wants it http://tcooo.podomatic.com/entry/2013-01-04T06_05_41-08_00 )). i have never worked with vocals that are a different bpm to the track im working on so it was a bit of a learning curve, so i took the original vocal and loaded into ableton and pulled the bpm down to about 89bpm(close enough i thought) then i chopped it up and loaded it into the nnxt, this worked fine for a while but slowly over time it runs out, so i started playing with the sample start switch to pull it in a bit more, worked a bit better but still runs out.

heres the tune anyways
    https://soundcloud.com/#elliotstunes/winefastwineslow-remix

just wanted to know how everyone else does it, is there an easier way etc etc....?

2. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Well what i'd do is edit it in ableton with the warp markers so that it fits the bpm you want, then render it out as a new file. And then you can chop it up 'cause it'll be in the right tempo.

3. Ease

Ease Member

only got ableton recently, tis only the light version i havent explored enough tbh, will look into warp markers though, cheers mate

4. charlie.joyce

charlie.joyce Joy-c

Anybody got any tips on how to do this without Ableton?? Also any tips on how to sus out what key the vocal is in.

5. Psychoholic

Psychoholic Quantum Cunt

If you can't hear it by just listening you can play piano notes until you hit the same note as the vocalist. Done.

6. charlie.joyce

charlie.joyce Joy-c

Yeah ok! Any tips on laying out vocals? Like different bpm accapellas or different bpm remix stems

7. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

try and get melodyne - lets you change the key of vocals.

for stretching without affecting pitch i use logics flex --- otherwise try quick quack pitchwheel

8. spyre

spyre sample all the things

Well if i'm using FL or Cubase or S1 then I just try and stretch the voc until it sounds right, not much else you can do i think

9. charlie.joyce

charlie.joyce Joy-c

Thanks for the advice. Have you used quick quack before?? been on there website and the bundle looks good.

Thanks man ill give this ago.

10. Eternaloptimist

Eternaloptimist Active Member

yer i own pitchwheel and upstereo. got pitchwheel coz i used to do a lot of motown sampling

11. Dubsta

Dubsta Well-Known Member

chop it up into sections of like 4-8bars using any editing software...whack it into recycle and then you'll have it in rex files.....of course it may not sync perfect with the beats bpm still, so then you can go into the rex bar and move individual hits until it sounds right. adding reverbs and a long release on notes that finish early and slow attack on notes that start too early ect.

reason isnt the best DAW to use for doing fully blown vocal tracks..... small pieces of vocals are ok but a full vocal track using just reason is a long winded operation

12. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

This works but I find it easier to quickly highlight each syllable have a tuner on the channel strip or use a spectral analyser and see where the fundamental frequency is whilst referring to a frequency chart that link frequency to the 12semitones of each octave.