Working out what key an acapella is sung in?

littlemonster

I'm new to production and I was wandering if there was a recommended way to find out what key an acapella is sung in. A friend of mine recommended playing notes up the keyboard with the sample playing until you hear which note sounds right which makes sense but are there any programs that analyse it for you so I can check if I'm right or not as I'm not too confident with it yet?

Also if you speed up the tempo of the original sample does it stay in the same key? I was looking on previous threads and I think someone said it stays the same for about 10bpm more then it increases in key - is this correct?

Well usually with you ears but that takes a bit of time to learn how to do.

What software you using bud and i'll see if i can be anymore help.

Generally yeah, if your pushing up the tempo of something the pitch will increase, as with if you resampled somthing.

I'm using logic....well learning to use logic anyway! I know there is pitch correction but I guess you need to know the starting note and how much to change it by to use it which is the bit I need to work on.

I've heard good things about melodyne, does that give you key information about a sample?

Not overly familiar with logic.

To be honest i think the easiest way to know what key it's in is to google the name of the song and see what key it says it's in :P

If your using a random one with no name then something like melodyne would do it butttt if you wanna learn then your best bet is to get used to knowing what key it sounds like by loading up a piano then going from there.

Melodyne will show you all the notes man.then u just set it to snap to the scale u working in
Really easy to do.it's a bit expensive though but if you like working with random vocals I'd highly recommend it
Listening to what key the vocal is will take time ...comes over time
If you have a friend that has melodyne send him the sample and ask him to put it your desired scale and send it back
I would have done it for you as it takes 2 secs but I'm on road now
Cheers

OK I'll look into melodyne, I'm big into my ragga so a lot of the stuff I'm going to be producing will have vocals in it so it might be worth it for me in that respect.

Just had a look at the website & they give you a free 30 day trial so think I'll do that and see if it works for me.

Cheers everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom