DnB Working on a liquid dancefloor kinda thing... please comment! (WIP)

Attire

Last Winter
VIP Junglist
So, I've been producing on and off for over a year now, and I thought I'd drop this here to see if I can get some feedback on where I'm up to!
This is a draft of a new track I've been working on, sounds kinda liquid-ish...

Btw, I have yet to buy my first set of monitors due to various reasons... it's not ideal but I've been using what I can. So things could sound off.

It's not finished obviously and not mixed hugely accurately, but yeh... :cry:

Would love some opinions, thanks.

Kick & Snare are rather weak in my opinion, and your loop needs to be more prominent in the mix.
Some more variation would do good too.
Could use more sub.
and for a dancefloor based track, i'd use a more agressive bassline.
Hope that helps o:

Hey thanks, just wondering if you can like, elaborate on your points?

Any ideas how to improve these?

Well as I say, it isn't finished, I usually go over things later and change them up... I dunno!

Ehm, give some more low end to your kick, since you're going for a dancefloor track.
Your snare, boost it around 200-500 hz, will do great deal.

About the bassline, Trying using some distortion. If you're using massive as a synth, try raising the intensity (One of knobs in your osc)

your break is too quiet and your kick and snare are really thin but i really love the synth. would recommend listening to some liquid then listening back to this so you can hear the difference. has great potential though.

your break is too quiet and your kick and snare are really thin but i really love the synth. would recommend listening to some liquid then listening back to this so you can hear the difference. has great potential though.

Cool, thanks :)

Btw, I have yet to buy my first set of monitors due to various reasons... it's not ideal but I've been using what I can. So things could sound off.

If money is the reason, and you haven't considered this yet: you can get some pretty reasonably priced monitor headphones which are okay alternatives (although not as good as monitor speakers - but still should be OK for now)

I have a pair of these and they're both awesome and well priced http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50s-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000ULAP4U

If money is the reason, and you haven't considered this yet: you can get some pretty reasonably priced monitor headphones which are okay alternatives (although not as good as monitor speakers - but still should be OK for now)

I have a pair of these and they're both awesome and well priced http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50s-Headphones-ear-cup/dp/B000ULAP4U

Ahh money was not the main reason I had in mind, but thanks anyway! I probably should pick up some better headphones along the way at some point...

some good ideas floating around here, i like the reverse reverb sound, and the filtered drums sound good
but... bass is far to clicky not enough weight, and it needs more atmosphere if you're going for liquid dnb

some good ideas floating around here, i like the reverse reverb sound, and the filtered drums sound good
but... bass is far to clicky not enough weight, and it needs more atmosphere if you're going for liquid dnb

Ok thanks :)

"Clicky"?

And yeh for atmosphere I'm probably gonna look at some pads or something hitting towards the high end maybe...

sorry that was meant to say bass DRUM*.... the bass drum sounds to clicky and not enough weight

Ohh ok, I see ;)

Yep yep I need to work on that haha.

It just seems contradictory though. Like, I've been told you're supposed to cut the sub end of the kick to stop it conflicting with the sub bass, but then it does end up sounding thin... I guess I'm gonna have to learn to compromise :D

Doesnt sound too bad man. pretty much everything has been pointed out.

---------- Post added at 09:28 ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 ----------

Ohh ok, I see ;)

Yep yep I need to work on that haha.

It just seems contradictory though. Like, I've been told you're supposed to cut the sub end of the kick to stop it conflicting with the sub bass, but then it does end up sounding thin... I guess I'm gonna have to learn to compromise :D

you dont need to cut it out completely, but rather just lower the low end volume, or surgically cut the areas that cross over. or sidechain.

Back
Top Bottom