Working on a laptop

Bokusound

Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but here it goes...

I am an English guy living in Australia 'temporarily' (hence working on laptop). Before I came I got a new laptop and installed Cubase 6.5 onto it with Komplete 8 so I would have something to get ideas down. The laptop is nothing special just a $600 Toshiba satellite running Windows 7 4 gig RAM.

Im finding that sometimes when I have a Cubase project open the laptop crashes, so I thought... mmm... there is not enough RAM? so I topped it up to 12gig and same thing is happening... So Is there anything else I should be doing to this laptop to get it running better?

And no I cant through it away and cant afford a mac :( and if I could what about my old vst plugins? lol

That's actually a pretty good machine, you've got the i7/quad-core so your system should be handling the CPU load without any problems.

A couple questions:
1. Are you using Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit? With 64-bit, you can go past the 3GB RAM limitation.
2. Does the crashing occur at a specific point when you're working? For example, when you're using a lot of tracks, a specific plugin, etc. or does it simply crash at random?
3. Have you disabled the usual CPU hog suspects like Wi-Fi, AntiVirus software, and any non-system essential background processes?
4. Apple Logic has an option to define the amount of cores used for processing. Does 6.5 support this and if so, how many cores is it set to? Quad-core should be 8 max. If you find this option and it's set to 8, try switching to 4. If it's set to 4, try switching to 8.
5. What audio interface are you using?

I haven't used Cubase a couple years so I wish I could help you more specifically. I'll try atleast to help figure out if it's a system issue.

Cheers.

1: When the laptop was new and I went through the windows 7 install I chose 32 bit instead of 64 just because it said its best to choose 32 if your using old plugins, my brother is in windows 7 64 bit and some of my old synths didn't work on his computer. No way of changing to 64 bit now is there? Tbh I dont mind about loosing the old synths now I purchased Komplete so if there is a way of changing it that would be cool. (as you can see im not computer genius) :)

2: Cubase crashes on projects where I have about 4 instruments playing.

3: Im using the laptop for internet aswell so have to use wifi and anti virus ect.

4: ok :)

5: Should I be using an audio interface? If so any recommendations and how do they work?

Thank you sir!

I don't think you can change to 64bit without reinstalling windows.
And, whilst you need wifi, do you need it whilst producing?
Try disabling it and the anti virus whilst you are running cubase and see if it makes a difference.

1: When the laptop was new and I went through the windows 7 install I chose 32 bit instead of 64 just because it said its best to choose 32 if your using old plugins, my brother is in windows 7 64 bit and some of my old synths didn't work on his computer. No way of changing to 64 bit now is there? Tbh I dont mind about loosing the old synths now I purchased Komplete so if there is a way of changing it that would be cool. (as you can see im not computer genius) :)

To install 64bit, I'd recommend doing a complete clean install (formatting the drive prior to installing the OS) and to avoid creating partitions on your boot drive. Before installing, you'll need to back up anything on your boot drive (C: by default) as it will be erased during installation. As far as 32-bit plugins go, Cubase 6.5 runs a transparent bridge which allows some 32bit plugins to run in the 64 bit environment. Nowadays most developers have created 64-bit versions of their plugins and, in the event they haven't, chances are you can find an alternative somewhere within the vast array of weapons within Komplete 8.

2: Cubase crashes on projects where I have about 4 instruments playing.
Hmmm...that's certainly not good.

3: Im using the laptop for internet aswell so have to use wifi and anti virus ect.
I totally understand. However, when using your DAW, disable your wifi and anti-virus. You can reactivate them again when your through with your production session. Wifi, and especially Anti-Virus, are resource hogs...especially Anti-Virus software.

4: ok :)

5: Should I be using an audio interface? If so any recommendations and how do they work?
Definitely. Basically, an audio interface is a standalone external (or internal for desktop PCs) sound device. Using one means your computer won't need to rely on the on-board soundcard (improved latency) and, more importantly, the D/A converters of the audio interface will output a better representation of the sound for your headphones/monitors as well as any input devices/instruments. I've heard great thinks about Focusrite Saffire as well as the Roland QuadCapture. If you're on a budget, check out TC Electronic Konnekt 6.

One thing I'd like to point out, as mentioned via other posts in this thread, using cracked software/plugins can be the cause of a lot of problems and stability issues. My assumption is your copies of Cubase 6.5 and Komplete 8 are legit. If this is not the case, than there is a 99.9% chance that is what's causing your DAW to crash.

Thank you sir!
Cheers!

See responses above in red.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom