Work vs University

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by dnb in ya face, Feb 2, 2010.

1. dnb in ya face

dnb in ya face Loud and Dirrrty

Righty chaps,

I am currently in work, I have been since October 2008 and its going pretty well. Already had a £2k payrise, although my salary isn't great.

Went to Portsmouth from last Wednesday to Saturday to see mates at uni with some of my mates. It was such a wicked time and when I came back I felt shit and realised I dont want to sit in an office for the next 40 years of my life 5 days a week. I really enjoy my job, mainly because I can doss about etc.

Im at the age where I fucking hate living with my Dad and his wife, I just need my own space etc. As i went to 6th form and done shit, it means Ive got 2 D's in Business and thats all!! Im thinking about going to uni but its obviously a big descion. It would be risky to leave this job as its doing good for me, helping run my car, and come out on the weekends and have wicked nights out.

Whats people views?

Cheers for advice, personal experience. :gang_bang

2. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Its your choice man. End of the day, you are the one who will be living with the decision. Uni seems great for general shenanigans and being pissed/stoned/whatever for the majority of the time. I didn't opt for uni as I thought it'd be a waste of my time and back then, a lot of my mates who went, were moaning about how much in debt they were. Bloody students. A lot of them still are in debt and still moan about it.

3. greddie

greddie Super Sir Loin

when i left college i went to work for an insurance company for like 2 years (after a year of working in bars) it was boring as hell and i hated it and had the same realisation youve had. i realised i didnt want to be at in that office another day, let alone end up once of the sad bastards who obsessed about their job so much they tokk files home with them... not a good look, unless thats what ur into, but i wasnt.
    so i went to uni, and it was the best thing ive ever done.....except dmt on a head full of 2c-i, but thats another story alltogether.
    the experience is somethign in it self, the drinking, the partying etc... but its also good to help u focus more on what u wanna be doing and where u can go from there, and in my industry, it has helped me get noticed and get an internship, (next rung on the ladder and all that)
    i say, go to uni, its fun :)

4. herojuana

herojuana hairy kuala

mate, i wouldn't take advice for such a big decision from an internet forum, but anyhow

i did a year snowboarding before i went to uni, and at the moment although i am loving the lifestyle, not getting on with the course so much. i can't wait til its done so i can get back to snowboarding if i am honest!

5. dnb in ya face

haha, well im only taking advice not going to solely base my descion on what you say, just thought it may help if people put in their personal experiences.

greddie seems to be on my wavelength, its just as you get to that age I guess, you have a realisation of the future. I cant live at home anymore, but I cant afford to move out. The ideal situation would be to keep my job and move out, but most of my good friends are not local to me nad I only see them at the weekends, so its not ideal at all.

Uni seems wicked, but a massive risk ! I will more than likely fail and get in debt etc etc, but I think it will be alot of fun and a life experince, and obviously change my life forever.

Ultimately I need to sit down and work it all out myself but advice from fellow student/people in employment is very useful, if anyone regrets what they've done etc.

6. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Its a real tough decision man & for me, it would fully depend on how dedicated you're going to be to it & what current prospects there are in your job... Then weigh them up, write a list based purely on fact of positives & negatives of each.

However, if there are any thoughts of going there & living the high life, getting trashed 24/7 & doing as little work to scrape through, or there is any doubt in your mind that you might slip into that... I would seriously consider not doing it, I still owe £12k to Student Loan & would fucking kill for that sort of money now.

Its good life experience to an extent, but its not "real" life, its a cotton wool wrapped version of it.

Good luck anyway man. :)

7. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

stick at it man... university works for some and not for others. by the sound of things, you have a pretty decent job that has potential to go somewhere and at the moment money seems to be ok right? well i went to uni when it was still cheap, and i'm like £14G in debt, and it sucks!

and as moskit says, it's 'cotton wool real life'... this can hold you back if you ask me! most my mates didn't go to uni, and were all 'grown up' (ie on top of bills, used to dealing with landlords and all those other horrible, horrible shocks that real life bring!) earlier in their life, which to me seemed to be an advantage... trust mate, when i finshed uni and started paying bare taxes and my debts back, it was like a swift punt to the nut sack!

thats my experience of it coupled with the context of your situation. take it or leave it, it's your life after all!

8. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

swings and roundabouts if you ask me.

9. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

only 1 in a million jobs don't seem like your sat around behind a desk 9 - 5 hating your job. going to uni won't change that. why not save some money n go thailand for a year (y) be much better for ya.

^ you don't wanna work for the highways agency

10. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

When I finished college, I didn't want to go to Uni, I was a bit stuck. I have 2 'D' A levels, and 2 'C' AS levels.
    I started doing a foundation degree, where I do 2 days a week at Uni - mon and tues, and then the rest of the time I can use to carry on working. I work about 20-ish hours a week doing barmaid-ing, and then, the rest of the time is free to do assignments, drink, go out etc.
    It sounds like this might be a good idea for you. I'm doing my course full-time, but you can do it part time too, although you get less of the 'uni' feel about it.
    Foundation degrees are really good, because you can get into a good uni, and come out with a good degree, if you're able to put the work in, and have the brains to do it. The only reason my A levels were so crap was because I started taking lots of drugs.
    After 2 years, you finish your foundation degree, and have an option for a 'top up' year, to make it into a full hons degree. I'm nearly finished my foundation degree, and september, I'll start my third year. I'm currently on course to get a 2.1 from Bristol Business School - Something that without this foundation degree, I'd have never got that.

If you did want to go to uni, the best thing for you to do with your grades, would probably be looking into a foundation degree. :)

11. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Catch 22? :teeth:

12. dnb in ya face

Thanks for the replies. I like the sound of sweetpea's idea. I got a DD in Business at A level, and like you, could have done a lot better but for drugs and out sixth form was full of geeks, I really didnt fit in too well whereas in school I was one of the lads, so I couldnt be bothered in all honesty. Told myself I wasnt gunna go to uni because Id rather have a job with money, car etc etc.

Now I have the job I am just bored. I cant stand living with parents anymore, I need my own space and rules, but the only way I can do that is to go to Uni. My only problem is my older brother went to Uni, done well at Business and now he has a worse job than me and he left ages ago!

My job at the moment is ok, sorta got oppurtunities to move up, but even then I will just be a sales executive not earning huge amounts.

I hear what your all saying and it all makes sense. I understand Richie_Stix saying all jobs will be kinda like this. Its a big risk to go to Uni but Ive just spoke to the, very wise, accounts lady here and she said. "Face your fear, Live your dreams" Bit philisophical but the old codger has a point.

13. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

i left school at 16 and started working since i wasnt sure what i wanted to do, it was awesome just having my own money for a few years and enabled me to do some wicked stuff. now ive found something i wanna do, ive gone back to college to do an access course to get me into uni. i think a lot of people just go to uni cos everyone does and dont really get anything out of it. essentially becoming a student is basically going on the dole but mummy and daddy are proud of you.

14. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

bang. wise words my friend!

another problem with the education system is @ 14 you pick your GCSE choices, how the fuck @ 14 do you know what you want to do? even at 16, going to college and shit, your still well different when you hit your 20's! i wish i had done a sound engineer course rather than graphic design, but it was only going to uni and meeting people into music that i realised this! considering going back to uni in a while to perhaps follow this dream!

15. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

cheers mate. i totally agree. that works for some people, but for me it has worked a lot better, i didnt have the maturity to see through a uni course before and would have wasted 3 years and thousands of pounds.

16. rob_del_terror

rob_del_terror - ̿ ̿'̵͇̿̿з=(•̪●)=ε

this is to a tee. how the fuck are you supposed to decide the next 50 years of your life at that age. i'm sure anyone who goes straight from school>6thform>uni is gonna need have a midlife crisis aged 35.

i've worked so many different jobs its untrue, i've worked stacking shelves, in a cafe, on a burger bar, doin promotions, as an actor, as a labourer, as a porter, in a pub, in a club, as a waiter, as a steward. as a kitchen porter, in telesales, in staff training, in retail/retail management.

still unsure as to what i wanna do. next on my agenda is car sales or a job driving. just gotta sort out a licence first.

17. Fortune^

Fortune^ ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

Everyone has said pretty much what needs to be said.

I went through high school. did my GCSE's and went on to do A-levels in English Lit, Biology, Ancient History and Modern History. I chose those subjects based on what my friends were doing at the time and what i enjoy. of course this qualifies you do pretty mcuh nothing. Instead of studying Art & Archaeology at Bristol. I decided to take a year out and got a placement doing IT at a construction firm. by the end of the year I was doing Quantity Surveying and they sponsored me to go to uni to do it as a career. The recession hit and its more cost effective for them to let me do a masters till june.

People need to take uni more seriously. YEs it's a place where you can shag around, get arrested and take copious amount of drugs, whilst sat on your arse discussing the finer points of jeremy kyle but 3 years later when you walk out with a degree, it'd better be in something good. one of my best mates got a 1st in "experimental music" to quote the man himself "if there's a job which requires me to make crazy noises on a guitar and loop them then I'm your man but until then I'm working at foot asylum.."

Also, whatever degree/job you chose to learn/do consider the lifestyle that goes along with it. I work in construciton but it is boring as hell, hte people are knobs and I work stupid hours. The money is good but when you're leaving working 12 hour days culminating in you leaving work a 9pm for 2 weeks you may reconsider.

In conclusion, you will be happier figuring out what you enjoy doing and finding a way to do it as much as possible*

*Fortune does not endorse drugs or crime

18. dnb in ya face

Thats it exactly, up until now I've had no clue as to what I wanna do, except have money and go out with my mates. So I got a job. Now I have matured I realise I cant do this all my life! I need a career path, an adventure, something a bit risky y'know?

At least now I know this! At 14-19 I really didnt have a clue what to do!

19. *SweetPea*

*SweetPea* LADY VINYL

The one thing I will say, is lots of people do business as an easy thing - think it applies to allsorts of alleys and shit, but the reality is that to do ell in business you have to be willing to put in hours, andbe motivated. It would be too easy for me - personally- to come out of uni and work somewhere that pays average, etc. But I'll have the knowledge to set up my own business when I finish, and it's only when you actually apply what you've learnt that it makes it worthwile, and the degree to start paying off.

Don't just do a business degree because it's what you've already done, most of the foundation degrees will take people with any sort of A levels, regardless of what they've got, just as long as they've got something.

20. richie_stix

richie_stix gomby plz

there allready bro... and i'm just 24!