Drum & Bass Work In Progress: Question&Answer

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by Fortisimo, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

Hey guys, I'm working on this thing here. It's kinda neuroy-ultrafunky whatever, I dunno. Maybe a bit of a neonlight kind of vibe. Let me know what you think so far! The intro is definitely still under construction, needs a little more to it, I think. Thanks for listening!

2. Catsel

Catsel Well-Known Dismember

i see what your tryna do.and it works...

but no one i know likes neuroy-ultrafunky tunes. they sound like plants vs zombies soundtracks. imo.

there are small elements of this tune that could be awesome.

this.. (imo) is an awesome version of what you have made...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  3. Full Dosage

Full Dosage Member

like it really the intro need some work but overall nice i think maybe more top end to snare and more weight on kick but other than that like it

4. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say... that track honestly doesn't sound anything like what I am aiming for. Thanks for listening though.

Thanks for the feedback Dosage. Yeah I'm stll working on the intro... I really like the melody that builds into the drop, I'm just having trouble with the 2 bars right before the drop. I'll take another look at the kick&snare too. Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2015
  5. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

I've added a bit to the intro, still working the kinks out... I was really wanting to keep the lead part the same, but it may just not fit right. I dunno, I'll decide later... Also, added 32 more bars in the first drop, got some nice variation going on, if I should say so myself :banana:. Lemme know what you think. Thanks guys!

6. lasiien

lasiien Meh

its well done indeed, not sure I really got on with that lead though. Kick sounds freaking awesome in my studio and once you get the bass going it's a really decent track. Good luck with this :)

7. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

really cool and funky track this, just sounds a tad muddy to me on my headphones. But nah great work on the bass and melody, funk!

8. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Lasiien, did the lead just bother you in the intro or throughout?

Muddiness is a problem I've been running into a fair bit lately... I think maybe I just have too many things going on at once or something... it's my understanding that cleaning things up involves carving up each instrument with EQ's so they don't overlap much. However, a lot of the sounds I'm using are very broadband, and while they don't always play at the same time, they sometimes do. I've started experimenting with automating parametric EQ's to clean things up when frequencies clash. It'd be so much easier to just have a spectral compressor that could side chain though... if I didn't have to go to 'real work' I'd be tempted to try and code one myself.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  9. lasiien

lasiien Meh

From about 1.08 to the drop I think, shame as it probably took a bit of time but I don't think it fits in. Fine in the rest of the track though. Hope that helps.

10. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

Yeah, that's actually one of those melodies where I write it for one track, don't use it, then try to shoe horn it into another track, lol (an old, bad habit). I've removed it, I couldn't get it to work. I've also rewritten the string progression for the intro, it's all way more cohesive now.

11. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

Update with revamped intro some halftime work and the beginnings of a bridge into second drop. Now I just need to figure out what Iwant the second drop to sound like haha

12. lasiien

lasiien Meh

mucho better :)

13. Mr_DnB

Mr_DnB Member

Yeah great style!

However when the drums come in they sound way too loud for me. Maybe its just the clicking sound of the kick!

14. Fortisimo

Fortisimo Member

Finished; titled it as "All This Machinery"