[work in progress] doing it right(..?)

hey everyone,

i listened to the new daft punk album and when i heard the track doing it right i figured it would be a cool sample for a commercial liquidish dnb (like netsky etc) so i started to make this track, but i'm really not familiar with making those types of sounds so i dont really know if its decent or rubbish and i would love some feedback on how to improve this. I feel like its not too bad but it lacks of something to sound better and cleaner but it might aswell be total shit lol i dont know.

so here it is :

http://soundcloud.com/azoteliquid/work-in-progress/s-IPn0U

i'm planning to make a proper intro / build-up if its worth finishing but for this wip i just putted an intro really quickly together so i dont makes you listen instantly to the drop
but anyways any feedback is welcome, i would definitely need advices and fresh ears to help me on this :)

cheers!

the vocal is out of ur tune with your synths - tbh i'd ditch the sample and stick with what you are writing in pads n stuff, i like that, nice ideas, nice vibes.

percussion isnt sitting in the mix very well, but its early stages I guess, get your kick and sub moving together, beef your snare up and then bring your other sounds back in to balance out the mix.

- - - Updated - - -

ps use the tags [ soundcloud ] [ /soundcloud ] to add your tracks straight into posts

It's a little rough around the edges but the overall vibe your putting out is cool, I suggest maybe take that sample out until the next drop it sounds really good where you left off with it coming in at the breakdown but sounds out of place in the initial progression of the track bringing it in later in the tune and having it catch you by surprise could make for much more interesting progression to the latter half. Keep working on it :)

thank you all for the feedback, really helpful. Now that i listen to it all you said seems pretty obvious but i just couldnt see it cause i was listening to it over and over again, many thanks.

so here is where I am (with integrated soundcloud liek a boss haha) :

what i did : some EQing on the synths (but i think theres still a lot of work)
changed the kick sample and added an highpassed new one with a lot of higher frequencies
lowered a bit the volume of the synths
got rid of the vocals (although as Street Deacon advised, i might introduce it in a breakdown)
added a snare sample

i still think theres a lot of work to do with the synths, i cant really get to the result i want despite hours trying to add some effects, modulation etc both in massive and logic. It just sounds weak and cheesy. Any advice would be really hepful.

Still think the drums are a tad weak for the style. I quite like the vocal, I think it will fit somehow. There was just one part in the original version where everything got dissonant but I think you could fix that with a bit of pitching.

third version :
put faster modulation on the synths so it goes along the mid bass, i actually prefer it that way although its not the same vibe i find it much cleanier and dynamic.
i also tried to fatten the drums
re introced the words "doing it right" from the vocals cause it seems to me that those words are in key (although i'm not 100% sure) and well its the title of the track so... :D

is it getting any better?

Your on the right track now man, sounding really good and clean on my speakers. I like how the vocal fades out as the synth comes in, interesting-- almost as if the voice becomes the synth. The drums are sounding much, much, better. Cool tune bro, Props. Looking forward to hearing more it. :)

Back
Top Bottom