WMC/Ultra Music Festival 2011 Fiasco

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Tim Viper Recs, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Tim Viper Recs

Tim Viper Recs Viper Recordings

Surprised there's no thread yet.. so to make a long story short, the conference/festival is held every year in Miami, usually in the last week of March (American spring break, etc.). WMC usually starts during the middle of the week (Tuesday/Wednesday) and runs through till Sunday, and Ultra Music Festival is on Friday night and all day Saturday.

This year WMC and Ultra have announced different dates. WMC has announced March 8-12th as their official dates, while Ultra has held onto the last week of March, holding their festival March 25, 26, 27 (now a 3 day festival).

This of course has caused a lot of drama and has artist and promoters alike taking sides and releasing their own version of the story.

WMC official site: http://wintermusicconference.com
    Ultra Music Festival official site: http://www.ultramusicfestival.com
    Bottom line, I don't give a shit who's right or wrong, seems to boil down to petty promoter squabbles. It's lose-lose for everybody: the promoters, the artists, and the fans.

To use dnb as an example, DJ SS always holds World of Drum & Bass (WODNB) on the Thursday of WMC, and Virus/Ram always hold ViRam on the Friday of WMC (Wednesday last year). So now what are both of them to do? They could either a) stick with WMC and hold their events as usual b) make their events on the same week as Ultra c) not hold their annual events and only play Ultra. Both WMC and Ultra were a co-exhisting entity. Most of the big name artists that played WODNB and ViRam would also play at Ultra.

That's what was great about the whole week is that since you have all of these big name DJs in one place at the same time you get the best of both worlds. You get wicked club nights through the week with lineups you would NEVER see in North America, and you get to see them at a big festival. Some people only go to WMC, some only to Ultra, some to BOTH. The choice was yours. I can't see most DJs flying over from the UK to play club nights at WMC, then flying back to the UK, then flying back down to Miami a few weeks later for Ultra. Doesn't make sense for anybody. :mad:

2. SMDtheMC

SMDtheMC Member

Shit's pretty fucking retarded if you ask me...but I'm seeing the glass half full here...taking no bookings down there, saving up with some fellow junglists and gonna bring an NY crew out to Inno in the Sun

3. crooks777

crooks777 NYACHA

Gonna hit the WMC myself i never really cared for the UMF. Once was enuff ('04) I just hope the labels remember that without the WMC there would have never been a UMF. And to be honest i never would have cared to see Angello or Kascade anyway so it's not much of a loss for me.

4. Tim Viper Recs

Tim Viper Recs Viper Recordings

Ya but my point is not what you like more WMC or Ultra, everybody is picking sides, which is what I'm against. I like both events and I like the fact that you always had the choice of both worlds. If you just wanted to go to WMC then you could do so and enjoy the hundreds of artists that were down for the whole week including Ultra. And vice versa if you just wanted to go to Ultra you could do so too. Or you could go to both. That's part of the reason both are so good is that you have all these artists down there at the same time because they can play anywhere from 3 gigs to 10 gigs in the space of a few days. A lot of the artists pay their own way down there b/c they can do so, now if the two are split up a lot of artists won't go, or will only go to one.