WLAN help needed!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by DeeGun, Mar 3, 2012.

1. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I´m a japanese penis length away from throwing all this shit out on the streets, may the polish feast upon this electric trash:devil:

Anyway..I bought this old ass Netgear WPN824 Router and a WPN111 Stick which makes rattling noise when you shake it :teeth: Yeah, I know..this might be a problem but put it aside for now. Didn´t do it when I bought it.

The Signal is very weak altho crap is standing quasi right beside each other..always between 49 % and 66 % <- before the rattling started (n)

I have also internal WLAN inside this old ass Amilo Laptop..tried this. The network is recognized with full strength but doesn´t connect. Same with a Dlink DWA 140. In the beginning they said connection cannot be made, now they just try to connect, don´t and leave me staring on the screen..WTF!?

I´m so close to good WLAN but no. Please help! I´m a total noob when it comes to the technical side. :confused:

2. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

you tried searching for the latest drivers for the usb dongle?

3. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Yeah did this, didn´t help :cry:

4. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

Sure a firewall or antivirus isnt blocking the device or any external connections?

5. Mish Mash

Mish Mash Well-Known Member

I used to have that router. I think you're meant to set it up through a wired connection before using it wirelessly. And there's a reset button on the back which returns it to factory default settings and always seemed to fix any problems we ever had with it

6. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

@ Harry - Thought about that but due to the fact that the WPN isn´t blocked by such..yawn.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

the setup went properly, only thing is that there can´t be established a connection to the internal wlan or the Dlink product. Will have a look for the reset button tho, cheers!

7. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

1) Dont use the standard wireless channel, go into the settings and change it.
    2) Make sure its not around anything like cordless phones/microwaves etc
    3) Update all drivers
    4) If your using old kit make sure it supports the security level your trying to use (old kit might not support WPA2 or WPA for example). Disable all security features on the router, WEP, WPA etc.
    5) Are you using netgears wireless utility or the windows one? I had trouble with the netgear utility in the past. If you are using it, disable it and enable WZC (wireless zero configuration, its the windows wireless tool)
    6) Check your network card settings and ensure everythings set to DCHP (make sure no settings are filled out under IP Address, Default Gateway etc in the network card options in control panel)
    7) Download MalwareBytes free version, boot pc into safe mode and run a full scan. Lots of malware can fuck up connection settings/hosts file etc
    8) Do you have a modem plugged into the router? Or are you using the netgear router as a modem router?
    9) Poor signal strength can also be caused by having gear too close to each other.
    10) Lastly, If you dont NEED wireless capabilities, its much better to go wired. Wireless is a piss poor way of getting connectivity. Both speed and security suffers so much its barely worth using.

8. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

I´ll work that out tomorrow, see what happens.