With the Laptop on stage

Discussion in 'DJ's, MC's & Turntablism' started by staticnoise, Jun 24, 2013.

1. staticnoise

staticnoise Member

Hej guys,

just got a little question.

My current DJ setup at home are 3 Turntables (2x Stanton T60, 1x Omnitronic DD1221) and 1 CDJ (Numark NDX400). I'm absolutely happy with my current setup and would not exchange any of my current decks.
    I'm currently thinking of either buying a Traktor DVS or a second CDJ (Numark NDX400 again) as I think of start DJing a second genre alongside DnB. I currently spin with Vinyls and CDs as a third deck.

As I don't have the money for a second "Vinyl-DJing-Genre" I want to go full digital. So I either have to buy a DVS or a second CDJ. I would prefer the "vinyl-feeling" of the Timecode-Vinyl but I have a bad feeling about having the own Laptop on the stage. What if someone pours a drink over it?! :|

I also already have a DVS --> Reloop Spin 2, but it's not really an option for gigs as it crashes pretty often as well as it has a ridiculously high latency.

tl;dr? The question to the Timecode-DJs out there
    How do you feel about having the laptop on stage... constant danger or I'm just a scaredy pants. And what if there's not enough space on the booth for it (I have a 17"-Laptop)

cheers

(P.S: yeah... I know... pretty useless thread. But I really struggle with this "problem" at the moment.)

2. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

buy a laptop stand, you can get them for about 20 quid usually, keeps it up out the way and should fit in pretty much any booth somewhere (y)

3. Forau

Forau CONCUSSION RECS

Obviously whenver you take your laptop out everything should be backed up.

On top of that i highly recommend making sure your laptops insured. Whether through home contents insurance or whatever.

As jwood says, get a foldy stand, usually small enough to slip into a laptop case and it'll keep your laptop clear of spillages.

Reloop is terrible. If your on a budget check out iScratch mixlive. (Feel like a rep the amount ive advertised iScratch haha).

4. staticnoise

staticnoise Member

Thanks guys for the quick response. A laptop stand is a good idea actually. Haven't thought about that...

The iScratch isn't available in Austria/Germany afaik (and delivery from UK is expensive as hell), but that doesn't matter though, as I could invest 270€ at the moment, so I could get me a Traktor Scratch A6 (the 2-deck thing). The Numark NDX400 is priced at 250 €.

Thanks again guys, gonna think about it...

5. danwell

danwell BAAAAAAAAAAAAABE WAIT

If you're gonna use more than 2 decks get the traktor a10 it can be used with up to 4 decks. I think mine cost £350 but it's so worth it

6. Dannyboy93

Dannyboy93 EL CAPITAIN

This. I got the traktor a6 around 6 months ago and now I wanna use it on more than 2 decks I cant.