Wireless home

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by The_Jungledon, Mar 30, 2007.

1. The_Jungledon

The_Jungledon www.FreelanceJunglist.com

Ez, any of you guys have wireless at ome. Im lookin into gettin something for my house. What do you lot use, (cost, any good, how many pc's you use.)
    Im going to be using it for 2 wireless laptops, 1 pc that i intend to connect via usb and just waiting on another pc to arrive with wireless. Ive had a look around and see a few i think are ok. 24meg split between 4 pc's ok.
    Only on 2mb @ the mo so need to jack it up with some firepower.
    I know i wont get 24meg cause of length of able, other users, distance from xchange and all that.
    Need some practical ideas guys. cheers:gslayer:

2. number1

number1 www.db9radio.com

i use a cheap d-link router (difficult to configure) and 54mps wireless Lan PCI card ,only have 1 computer got wireless to avoid having wires everywhere i recommed you use wireless cards and not the crappy slow usb adapters. when you set up your router make sure it's very secure use a W.E.P key and mac address

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  3. The_Jungledon

the pc arriving has a wireless card, 108mps. The two laptops are wireles capable already. So not too woried about having the other one wireless. Yeah sweet about the wep and mac address touch. Learnt all this last year doing my mcse mate.
    Id tell the clueless 2.4 family about that stuff, but cant be arsed whilst i get free wirelss ofa them.
    Cheers for the info though bruv.
    ISPS need info on isps. Like if you use them, which ones, is your unlimited not unlimited. Do they traffic shape your connection ETC ETC. Is 24meg the fastest(Surely not) but thats all i see.

4. number1

number1 www.db9radio.com

i'm on bt option pack 2 it's limited to 8gigs a month and a 8meg line i only over used once downloading a 7gig film pack, and costs £24.99 a month fucking expensive but it's a very good service with good customer surport, don't go with wanadoo there fucking useless and there customer surport is terrible, dno wot any others r like u have to look around don't think your gonna get any faster than 24megs

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  5. The_Jungledon

cheers mate. have seen a 24meg unlimited from be(or something like that). This costs 24.99
    But have heard they monitor your bandwidth and traffic shape if your usage is heavy.
    And this is after they give you unlimited.
    Would never use bt after charging me 95£ about 10 years ago to install a econd line for then 512k broadband. those were the days lol. https://www.bethere.co.uk/homebroadband.do;jsessionid=

6. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Traffic shaping after offering unlimited is a frigging joke. They should be chased under the Trade Descriptions Act.

7. Bad Ace

Bad Ace Close2Death

bt home hub....nuff said!!

8. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

I think most providers are using traffic shaping at the moment, I know Tiscali and BT do, and my mate said he thinks pipex do as well as his speeds have dropped massively lately at peak times.

Do they make this shit for people with no jobs or something? Most people are only at home during these peak hours so you're basically getting a dial up account.

9. The_Jungledon

Fastest speed i get nowadays is around 1.1meg tops when im supossed to be on 2 meg. so maybe if i buy 24meg ill get around my 2 meg i originally paid for. :mad: