DnB WIP Opinions

YugenDnB

Hi Guys!

Very very new to the whole production side of music (only been doing it for 6 months or so) and have the most basic grasp of music theory so i wanted to get some opinions on my first half of a song it's a liquid track i've been working on it's taken me 3 months to get it to this point XD but it seems lacking, was wondering if anybody had any ideas/tips and please be brutally honest.

soundcloud.com/jam3rzz/wip_v2

EDIT: Link won't load for some reason just put https:// infront when copying and pasting sorry!

Your theory on music is pretty good, but the drums sound a little weak mate... Kick has little to no low end shakers are ok but again the snare seems pretty much without impact.

seems the whole drums channel (or all your drums) has been low cut with an EQ infact?

bass isnt too bad, nice vibe with the piano and the vinyl foley at start is cool! Yeah defo love the ideas here just the drums arent right...

Figure out whats cutting the low end from drums i reckon before anything... After that you can start thinking about compression / limiting at least on the master channel to try and bring a little more volume and impact.

Its all good though, the melodies sound fine for 6 months and the drums youl get used to for sure, keep at it.

Last edited:
Some nice ideas in there man, the piano sounds really crisp! Nice chords too! It does sound out of key in the intro at 0:03 and 0:08 though , I like the ocean sounds in the intro works well.

The track structure probably needs a bit of work it kind of drops out of nowhere. And yeah the kick has no bottom end, so lacks punch. Overall track sounds good, I like the breaks and the bass :). Keep at it.

I think you should leave out compression and limiting for now, practice writing beats, getting your levels right and EQing.

Your theory on music is pretty good, but the drums sound a little weak mate... Kick has little to no low end shakers are ok but again the snare seems pretty much without impact.

seems the whole drums channel (or all your drums) has been low cut with an EQ infact?

bass isnt too bad, nice vibe with the piano and the vinyl foley at start is cool! Yeah defo love the ideas here just the drums arent right...

Figure out whats cutting the low end from drums i reckon before anything... After that you can start thinking about compression / limiting at least on the master channel to try and bring a little more volume and impact.

Its all good though, the melodies sound fine for 6 months and the drums youl get used to for sure, keep at it.

Thanks, really given me some perspective! I was playing around with eq automation trying to get some movement in the buildup, probably over did it a bit I'll turn the automation off and try and bump the low end up a bit. Thanks again!

Some nice ideas in there man, the piano sounds really crisp! Nice chords too! It does sound out of key in the intro at 0:03 and 0:08 though , I like the ocean sounds in the intro works well.

The track structure probably needs a bit of work it kind of drops out of nowhere. And yeah the kick has no bottom end, so lacks punch. Overall track sounds good, I like the breaks and the bass :). Keep at it.

I think you should leave out compression and limiting for now, practice writing beats, getting your levels right and EQing.

Thanks! Definitely see what you mean by being off key I'll tweak the piano in the intro and try and work something into the drop to make it less sudden, thanks for the ideas!

Back
Top Bottom