WIP bans Traktor from future events.

t345e

VIP Junglist
Spanish music agency WIP has banned the use of Traktor from parties it plans to throw in the future.

In a statement released via its Facebook page, WIP announced: "Nothing against Native Instruments and their software, which is great, innovative, and an amazing tool, as are pretty much all of NI products (love Komplete, and Maschine). The real issue is with 'artists' who swear they can play any format be it CD, vinyl, USB and or Traktor but whose Traktor sets are nothing but stale, bland and outright insulting to a paying crowd and promoter."

WIP, whose previous events have featured Seth Troxler, Nina Kraviz, James Priestley, Ralf Kollmann and Maxxi Soundsystem, has said the decision comes after three years of bad experiences with artists using the software and goes on to add: "More importantly, we're fed up with the general laziness shown by 99% of 'artists' that we've seen and heard playing Traktor."

http://www.mixmag.net/words/news/wip-bans-traktor-from-future-events

Thoughts?

they raise valid points but the blame rests soley on the artists in question not traktor.

Pfft. I agree with them to be degree.

As a paying customer i want to get bang for my buck, which isnt gonna happen if someones up there with an S4 mashing sync.

Pfft. I agree with them to be degree.

As a paying customer i want to get bang for my buck, which isnt gonna happen if someones up there with an S4 mashing sync.

Not everyone using S4 mashes sync. Once again, it's all about the DJ, not the gear he's using. They can as well mash sync with those new Nexus CDJs.

I kinda like this idea though, obviously it depends on the DJ ultimatley as to who's taking liberities, but do you reckon there is market for vinyl only nights?
Would this be even feasible nowadays?
I guess the general public don't really care, they're there to be entertained at the end of the day. How it's acheieved is irrelevant to some people.

Im finding it difficult to put together words so this reply is gonna be jumbled half sentences

Surely the DJ had to be shit and lazy before they got traktor, forcing them to use something else isnt gonna make them any better, it just means they will actually have to learn how to use CDJs. And surely with the CDJ2000 nexus now they can still be boring and shit on a different format.

traktor is just bringing how shit and lazy they are into light

Andy C uses traktor sooooo

Serato does the same thing, it just doesnt have an actual button labelled SYNC

just because someone uses traktor doesnt mean they are automatically gonna use the sync button and do the laziest simplest mixing ever - see previous Andy C comment

if traktor is used to its full potential its fucking sick

Now Dillinja uses traktor he smashes it, he probably uses sync, but I dont really care as long as his mixes are huge

Now Dillinja uses traktor he smashes it, he probably uses sync, but I dont really care as long as his mixes are huge

I disagree i reckon.

Id rather hear a set that might have a couple of iffy mixes but mixed "properly" than a perfectly laid out set thats pre-pitched or sync'd.

In regards to "the crowd doesnt care what format", im not sure i agree with that either, as you definately notice the difference in atmosphere in a room that has a pair of 1210's than a room with midi controller.

Not everyone using S4 mashes sync. Once again, it's all about the DJ, not the gear he's using. They can as well mash sync with those new Nexus CDJs.

Lets face it though mate, i have never seen someone beatmatch off their own back while using a midi controller.
Had some numpty proper giving it the big one about how sick he is.

I had a house party and he came round, expecting to apply his "knowledge" to my setup (1210's + serato) and tear the roof off with a sick set and all that sh*t.

He gazed down at the gear and just said "wheres the sync button?".

Biggest face palm moment of my life.

Last edited:
But unless youre leaning over his shoulder you wont really know? As long as the mix is interesting I dont care if hes pressing sync, if he still knows when to drop tunes, how to EQ and all the other stuff that goes into DJing, then I can overlook the fact he cant beatmatch.

whole argument boils down to: beatmatching isnt the only part of DJing, sure software can do it for you, but if you cant do the other 50% software cant do for you.. then youll be a bit shit.

This and the tinfoil thread, damn im bored at work.

But unless youre leaning over his shoulder you wont really know? As long as the mix is interesting I dont care if hes pressing sync, if he still knows when to drop tunes, how to EQ and all the other stuff that goes into DJing, then I can overlook the fact he cant beatmatch.

whole argument boils down to: beatmatching isnt the only part of DJing, sure software can do it for you, but if you cant do the other 50% software cant do for you.. then youll be a bit shit.

This and the tinfoil thread, damn im bored at work.

Chin up, friday son

Of course, but in my opinion its a staple of a good dj. If someone cant beat match reasonably well im not going to give them the chance to prove they have "sick track selection skillz", im out of there and on to the other room =P.

but what if the dj in the next room is using sync, but you dont know because you cant see them and youve never heard of them before!

and then the dj in the 3rd room is the same, but hes actually good and you get home and realise youve skanked to a syncer!

AND THEN EVERYONES USING SYNC

:teeth:

but what if the dj in the next room is using sync, but you dont know because you cant see them and youve never heard of them before!

and then the dj in the 3rd room is the same, but hes actually good and you get home and realise youve skanked to a syncer!

AND THEN EVERYONES USING SYNC

:teeth:

Haha, difference is, i wouldnt go to a night thats likely to attract sync masher dj's lol.

Ok I'm goona chuck some shit into the mix.

Do you think Andy has ever used the sync button whilst he's been playing out? Even just once?

Blatantly :teeth:

tune selection is the most important thing. i enjoy a set because of the tracks and how they are mixed, i.e. how well they go together and how all the transitions happen. i'm not too fussed what format a dj is using or whether they sync the tempos digitally. that's just my opinion..

Haha, difference is, i wouldnt go to a night thats likely to attract sync masher dj's lol.

yeah fair point,

I agree with how shit midi controllers look as well, Glade this year was full of laptops, some guy hunched over a macbook wearing no headphones... poking at probably ableton live that was planned 2 weeks before, at least use traktor on CDJs or something cmon. I dont care if Im so mashed I cant see the DJ but if its a festival and im only drunk and theyre on some big raised platform and I can see how boring theyre being, kills the vibe.

yea basically I couldn't imagine you banning Andy C...

I don't agree with this auto sync shit. It does make DJ's lazier. But as said before the DJ's should get swift bannings that are lazy, not traktor.

I think the biggest problem is mixing using a wave form. Tends to stop you using your ears and getting into the flow of things, also there's nothing worse than watching a dj stood there not moving which loads of sertao/Traktor dj's tend to do.

Don't really see the issue with the sync button tbh. Cdjs pretty much tell you the exact speed of the track do all you do is move the pitch slider to the right place. It's not like you need to fine tune it like with vinyl or anything

Back
Top Bottom