Windows 8.1 - Studio worthy?

Deekay[AUS]

Buffy's Bedtime Slayer
Hey guys, just noticed 8.1 has been released. For the heads that are using 8 on their studio machines I have a couple of questions.

1. Any noticeable differences between 7 and 8?
2. How often if it does happen, DAW crashes etc?
3. Is it worth it in the long run to upgrade?

I am just in the middle of backing everything up and planning to do another re-install with Win7 but seeing what the options are. Cheers

basically windows 8 is windows 7...with a tab screen which is aimed at touch screen users, i use ableton and it very rarely crashes (didnt really crash much with 7), although, windows 8 does make my laptop turn on very quickly soo theres that but over all probably not really worth it

Deekay[AUS];1438073 said:
Hey guys, just noticed 8.1 has been released. For the heads that are using 8 on their studio machines I have a couple of questions.

1. Any noticeable differences between 7 and 8?
2. How often if it does happen, DAW crashes etc?
3. Is it worth it in the long run to upgrade?

I am just in the middle of backing everything up and planning to do another re-install with Win7 but seeing what the options are. Cheers

I've never upgraded from 7 to 8. Still, I didn't read any complaints about DAW crashes on 8. Now, if you don't use your desktop (or laptop) exclusively to music production (I use it for gaming too) then you should consider stick with 7.

I'm considering upgrading from XP to 8. Student discount, £50.

This. I've heard about people having all sorts of problems with 8, they must've been noobs cuz idk what they were doing to fuck up so hard.

It's worth remembering that if 99% of people think something's fine, and 1% hate it, the 1% will make more noise than everyone else put together.

This. I've heard about people having all sorts of problems with 8, they must've been noobs cuz idk what they were doing to fuck up so hard.

To be honest, I just didn't upgrade because of compatibility problems with some games I love to play, and because I just dind't like the interface. After what? 20 years using the button "start" (or call it wathever you want) they just take it off and want us to deal with "colored gigantic squares" on the screen.

Windows 8.1 works fine so far here with Cubase 7.5, only problem I have is that my midi controller doesn't always work. (Novation Impulse 25)

Well when I first got this laptop I got rid of 8 straight away. Chucked 7 on because I am so familiar with it and never had that much troubles with it. Did a bit of research just before, seems to be the go for touch ie live performances and stuff. But if you tweak/config your system right, I don't see why you should have any dramas with it anyways.

To be honest, I just didn't upgrade because of compatibility problems with some games I love to play, and because I just dind't like the interface. After what? 20 years using the button "start" (or call it wathever you want) they just take it off and want us to deal with "colored gigantic squares" on the screen.

you can still use the standard desktop you're used to, and moving the mouse to the lower-left corner brings up a box that takes you to that screen, so it's just like the start menu but much faster/easier to move through to find what you're looking for. imo.

Once you get use to it not being XP, 8 isn't so bad IMO. I had similar issues to MisterApe in that my M-Audio Mini-Keystation 32 doesn't work often since I upgraded to 8.1. Still miss my Mac, but my battery expanded and I've been too poor/lazy to get it fixed so I've been using my gaming laptop for production instead.

Jesus, just read that Win 9 is rumored to be released next year.

Paul Thurrott reports that the next major update to Windows, code-named "Threshold," originally planned as an update to Windows 8, will now likely be called Windows 9, "in order to distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle." It may be ready by April, 2015, he says.

Don't know what is going on over at M$ but they are really stepping up the releases.

I have Windows 8.1 (and 8 before that); no issues with Studio One. Personally I find 8 to be faster and more stable than 7. I use Stardock Start 8 for normal start menu functionality. Also works fine with League of Legends... #justsayin

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

I use Windows 8.1 and haven't got an issue yet. However, there are some plugins that are not compatible with Windows 8, like before, Sylenth1 wasn't compatible until they did their patch update.

I tried it when it first came out and could not get all the plugins to work, so I went back to Win 7. Maybe VSTs are coded better for it now.

Well, that was a complete and utter fucking balls up. When I started the install of 8.1 it locked out my hdd. Didn't identify the partitions or anything. Long story short. Lost everything... again. On top of that I had dramas when I did a fresh install of 7, my USB ports weren't active. Cue 3 installs untill I worked out what it was. Turns out some how they got turned off in the BIOS. FML.

Back
Top Bottom