will vinyl last 4 ever

guernseydub

with the way technology is moving how long is it before vinyl is erased from memory with cd decks becoming more advanced lighter than vinyl and you can obviously get more dubs on to one disc as opposed to 10 bits of vinyl how long is it before top dj's turn up to a gig armed only with memory sticks with 1000's of tunes on each one to stick into the virtual turntables and vinyl is left at home to gather dust what do you lot think surely this will happen????

I keep thinking about buying a second CD deck but vinyl always seems to pull be back again.

Personally I'm waiting for my new nanotech hard-drive to arrive in the mail, finally be able to drop all those rinsing microplates I've been hoarding !
:jerkit:

Vinyl is a more tactile thing for me. Its the whole process of going into town and finding something I've never heard before, the degree of control over the media etc..

Had loads of birds ask me "oh, are you a DJ then?" getting back on the bus to go home, so it's even a good ice breaker too :P

In my mind, CDs are a tool to use for pre-release tunes, or stuff that was never released on vinyl. I can't justify getting dubs cut, but I've got a CD-RW at home, and blanks cost me £4.50 for 25, so I wouldn't feel bad burning a tune athat would only be suitable to be used once.

It'll probably eventually happen. The advent of vinyl emulation is here with CD Decks, we'll see how far it gets, but it's gonna have to be something special to tempt me over.

Right, I see both sides of the coin here - As a DJ I want to play the exclusives, the tunes people havent heard, an the way the vinyl world rotates is a tricky & expensive one! The Digital music aint costing anything at the moment (long as you got internet!) and you can have a tune youve been slobbering over for months! This is where the producers lose out financially - I would pay for MP3s through a monthly subscription or pay-per-tune if i was honest.

You can hang around all day Wed/Thurs vinyl promo hunting, Get friendly with the Record shop dudes, or be patient an wait for the full releases, goddamn it!

For the CD side - Availability of tunes/freedom of what to play an the million-an-one tracks you can get in a CD wallet is very appealing.

Jus listen to New Talent, an if anything takes your fancy, get chatting with the producer for an MP3.

Type in a 'wishlist' though Soulseek an 12 hours later you got tunes you arent gonna have for 12 months!

What it comes down to is a heathy mixture of Wax & CD imo - Using a cd deck is simple, but as with everything it has its disadvantages.

alot of people ive chatted to find it hard to mix in/out of CDs without the visual of where the drop is - if you jus make a note on your cd tracktist of the time it drops an problem solved!

The Digital DJ is here to stay, but the Vinyl junkie will always reign supreme! :jackson:

I think that sums up where we are now quite well. dNb kinda shoots itself in the foot with so many big tunes taking many months to even get promo. You can only get so far on the sheer anticipation of a big tune being available soon.
Soulseek knows it.

Globally there are more local DJs willing to throw local gear into their sets on CD now, eg Aus or US DJs dropping a couple of home-baked tunes on CD. This is how Vault started.
MP3 swapping is sort of an extension of that I think, except its possible over national/local borders.

Vinyl is so touchy feely though. The only problem I had with Final Scratch, for example, was that you can't see the grooves to know where the bass drops are etc. Then someone informed me there is a map of the soundwave on FS, so you can see the sound pattern.
Fair enough, same as making time notes on a tracklist.

I think people are attracted to having STUFF, y'know. Digital is so ethereal, but I look at my vinyl collection and say "Yep, its ALL there on my floor in plain sight, ready to be rifled!"

the obvious answer is that as a DJ takin themselves seriously u have to adapt to the changing world. if i played out more and had the cash id buy cd decks etc to keep up with the tunes released etc but i dont so ill stick with my humble plastic disks on my bedroom floor!

also i know it sounds weird , but i like the covers of vinyl and the whole searching through record shops etc.

personally i love vinyl i spent nuff cash on it and would be a little pissed off if in five years time some likkle munky gets an equally large collection for free!!!

that would piss me off. :oscar:

but on the other hand if i had the technology id do the same!
swings n roundabouts i guess!

guernseydub said:
just seen a picture of the new technics cd deck and its got a memory stick input this is reality this is the future this will be make or break for vinyl
maybe when you can buy one for £100, but until then i think vinyls safe

all this new technologys definitly got its advantages. but in its simplest terms - theres something about vinyl that cant be replaced by anything else. not memory sticks, final scratch or nuthin. there is something about havin that bulky wad of tunes starin up from ur record box better than a fiddly little cd with a gaziliion mp3s on it. save the vinyl!

Back
Top Bottom