i plan to get
pro tools le 8
mbox mini 2
and Behringer XENYX-1204FX

i want to get the mbox so i can use protools
then i want to hook a mic to the mixer
then the mixer to the mbox so that i can
record the mixed audio onto protools

is this possible with these exact two devices are they compatible with each other?
ps what is a good mic reccomendation
i am going to be doing rnb singing and hip hop rapping also

Why do you need the mixer? You can plug the mic straight into the XLR socket on the mbox.

As for reccomendations, whats your budget?

well i thought i may need the mixer to have the audio mixed before its actually recorded onto protools i can do this or i shoudltn?

and what do they mean by usb audio interface, ill need that usb adapter and the cords to connect it right?

and for the mic i would say 200 for sure 250 - 300 if truly worth it

It'd work fine, but I'd say it'd be better to run the mic straight into the Mbox like Producr said, I would think the pre-amps on the M-Box would be better than those on the behringer desk, and it'd also leave you with more money for your mic and other bits an pieces.

USB audio interface means the Mbox gets the audio to and from your computer with a USB connection, you connect your Mic/Instruments and speakers to the Mbox, and everything is transfered through the USB cable (should be supplied with the Mbox).

As for microphones in that price range, have a look at SE, Rode, maybe some of the cheaper AKG's. If its vocals you'll be recording mostly, then look for "large diaphram condenser" mic, mics designed for vocals usualy have a Cardioid pickup pattern, meaning that they are less sensitive from the sides and back, so they dont pick up as many reflections from your room/spill from other sounds etc.

Last edited:
As for microphones in that price range, have a look at SE, Rode, maybe some of the cheaper AKG's. If its vocals you'll be recording mostly, then look for "large diaphram condenser" mic, mics designed for vocals usualy have a Cardioid pickup pattern, meaning that they are less sensitive from the sides and back, so they dont pick up as many reflections from your room/spill from other sounds etc.

Well clarified. The example I gave is exactly the type of mic motion audio has described with a cardiod pickup.

Well clarified. The example I gave is exactly the type of mic motion audio has described with a cardiod pickup.

It is indeed, anything around that price range by any known brands should do the job nicely, theres a lot of fairly decent mics around for low prices to be fair, just make sure its polar pattern is cardioid (or a variation of).

Only get a mixer if you plan on recording multiple channels into the daw or out of the daw for a hands on mixdown, or you want to use it for flexible monitoring solutions, need lots of various inputs/outs ect. you dont have to have one and the MBox will be fine if you want to record one or two mic / line channels in and thats it. I use a Mackie 1402 for these exact reasons but its not completely neccesary. you'll be fine with the m box bro

Skip the mixer, the pre-amps on the MBox are superior to anything behringer puts out... most of their stuff is junk. You'll do all your mixing inside Pro Tools anyways, it freakin ROCKS for this... <3 my MBox2

ok thanks for all that information makes a lot of sense loool
but back to the mic, which mic would you reccomend from these

SE 2200a

Rode NT1000

AKG C3000B

those are the ones im looking at

i want to get a clean professional sounding result and since i will be singing RNB songs sometimes i will sing loud (breakdown of the songs lolz)so i dont want that to effect the quality either but im just not sure which one i should go with

ps - what do people mean when they say the mic is too bright?

Hey dude, I own a pair of MXL 990 and 991. Cheap Mics but they are quality for the price. I think for your application you would want something more high end, guess i dont help.

Good luck.

Skip the mixer, the pre-amps on the MBox are superior to anything behringer puts out... most of their stuff is junk. You'll do all your mixing inside Pro Tools anyways, it freakin ROCKS for this... <3 my MBox2

this^^

pretty much all your mixing is going to be done in pro tools, later you can get a midi controller to handle this if ya want but on a budget there is absolutely no reason to. pro's still use their mouse only, plenty of em. that way you can do your work on planes trains and automobiles. :)

yeah i understand but wat about the mic loolz

SE 2200a

Rode NT1000

AKG C3000B

those are the ones im looking at right now but i dunno which is the best choice

SE 2200a

Rode NT1000

AKG C3000B

Whichever one sounds best to you, all fairly decent mics, go and try them out and see what sounds nicest.

Look into recording techniques aswel, a nice mic doesnt guarentee you a good recording. Just simple things, like if you set the mic up singing at a fairly low volume and then blast it when you get into it then you'll send the levels through the roof and the recording will sound awful.

If your in an un-treated room then its worth doing a few basic bits to get it sounding a bit nicer, the key to it is to make sure the mics picking up minimal noise from the room, as this will make it less detailed and it'll be a pain in your mix. Hanging something like a duvet behind the singer helps to stop high frequency reflections getting back to the front of the mic and colouring your sound.

SE 2200a

Rode NT1000

AKG C3000B

Ive used a few AKG condensers when i was at college and they are pretty robust and dependable mics and sound pretty good for the money. as motion said, its a great idea to do an A/B/C comparison in a good audio shop and see what has the minerals against the budget you got.

Back
Top Bottom