Will Sigma's Debut LP put Drum n' Bass into the spotlight?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by JungleBeast, Nov 7, 2015.

1. JungleBeast

JungleBeast Critical Thoughts

As shit as all of us may think of Sigma, they are without a doubt very popular, and so what are your thoughts on this album blowing up and possibly making the genre the next big thing in electronic music??

2. Lorre

Lorre Active Member

Doubt it. People seem to be into Sigma as they are today for the cheesy vocals mixed with the uplifting music. Which they do well for their specific crowd. But give these same people tunes like 'The Jungle' or 'El Presidente' and they'll most likely defy the same artists for it. Point being, I don't think they like the genre, they just like the specific music Sigma are putting out right now.

Also, being 'the next big thing' is a pretty tough thing to answer in this day and age. Every few weeks there's a new 'next big thing'. DnB related, we recently had Netsky as 'radio flagship' and it didn't really make DnB mainstream.

Personally, I think DnB, as a lot of the people on this forum see (actually hear) it, will never be 'a big thing'. It's a niche genre for a specific crowd. A pretty tough to please crowd. But people are really passionate about it. As not-underground as it is these days, I still like to regard it as 'underground music', which makes it special to me.

3. Exxcessivve

Exxcessivve Dawn Wall

The people buying these singles probably aren't that passionate about it. It's just "wow I like these vocals my ears are getting slammed with every hour on the radio" and they buy it

scrTchs likes this.
  4. DjTiesticles

DjTiesticles Well-Known Member

Not a chance in hell. I can hardly see someone who likes Ed Sheeran or One Direction buying this and then 2 years later listening to Mefjus et al

5. dambusters

dambusters Melbourne

As in how Goldie and then Roni Size did 20 years ago, or more recently Pendulum did, or more recently still, Rudimental?

6. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Drum & Bass is in a grey area, it has already been some kind of popular, being used in advertising, movies and series, because it was "modern" music at some point. Same with dubstep.

But that´s it.

Granted, I live in a country where dnb has never been on the (commercial) radio and Sigma has done that, also Rudimental.

But it´s just fast paced pop for those who don´t know and nothing else.

Exxcessivve likes this.
  7. Vydx

Vydx Asian Info Alliance

EDM at 170 bpm

8. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

I remember talking to some barmaids in a pub with a friend years back when Pendulum were blowing up and they said they liked them. We then asked 'what other people do they like in the drum and bass scene?' to which they replied 'we don't know of any others'. My friend went on to tell them to look into the genre a bit more if they like it etc. Point being that it might be a stepping stone for people who mainly listen to more mainstream radio

It has in the UK. I remember hearing Hazard - Rubber Chicken and Twisted Individual - Crap Rinse Out rmx on Radio 1 on separate week day evenings when I was I going to secondary school, which were 2 of the tunes that got me into dnb

9. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Yeah but that´s Radio 1 and not Forest FM of East Dorset.

falldotau likes this.
  10. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

what you sayin about the music of east dorset? wont have no one dissing the straight bangers that wessex fm put out

11. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Yeah, should have taken Wessex FM cause Forest FM is way more underground :D

12. Large Marge

Large Marge garbage truck

dnb for 'best newcomer' at the 2015 music genre awards

JungleBeast likes this.
  13. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

" Underground Pop "

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

14. OneSeventy

OneSeventy Mohican Sun

I think the people who like tunes like the Sigma feat Rita Ora one will buy 1000 Rita Ora only albums before they buy a Sigma only album. Point being, they like the vocals. The back-track could be anything by anyone as long as it uses the right three chords.

DeeGun and saam like this.
  15. Rewound

Rewound Member

These poppy tunes bring a few people over to D&B when they come out, and this album will be no different. You hear tunes you like and you wanna find more of a similar style, then you delve even deeper and develop a better (IMO) taste in the music....and so on and so on. This album is definitely not gonna shift the scene dramatically lol

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    Vydx likes this.
  16. $pyto

$pyto Soundcloud changed everything

Definitely not.

The music scene, underground or otherwise, has evolved a lot since Pendulum done their thing. Rudimental don't count; as they never had any sucess in the underground scene before making pop music - they've been pushing faggotry from day dot.

The masses who enjoy pop music do so in a very different way to how we enjoy drum & bass. We like the actual music for how it is - anything else is a bonus. For the masses though, it's everything else that comes with a particular song (sometimes more than the tune itself) i.e. the artist's fashion sense/what mainstream festivals they headlined in the summer etc.

17. encounter

encounter Well-Known Member

^ couldn't agree more.
    nothing happened when afterglow blew up. nothing happened when nobody to love blew up. same goes for others that made it into the charts. it's pop music with a d&b beat.
    I as well agree with OneSeventy. I have big doubts about this leading any people into d&b. The Pendulum case was different IMO as they were in the scene already and it was still very underground when most people got in touch with it/them. Kinda comparable with Prodigy, Chem Brothers or more recently The XX. With Sigma it's commercial music you'll hear any day, no different to Robin Schulz, Aviici or the likes IMO.

18. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Didn't fresh do this a couple of years ago? Pendulum a few years before that? Andy C before that (Body Rock)? Shy FX a few years before that? Roni Size before that and General Levi before that?

DnB has been in and out of the charts for decades

19. Dagz

Dagz Well-Known Member

Ner you are all wrong.

Everyone thought DnB in the charts would be a positive for the underground like it will bring more people to the scene this and that. When infact it didn't and know most producers are trying to make it in the pop world, Excellent producers now producing pop the biggest labels releasing poppy tracks. Its all gone abit pete tongue tbh but hey like everyone says im not digging deep enough lol But how deep does the rabbit hole go surly these pioneers should be leading the way/

And lets not forget it only got recognised when Fresh went to number 1 in the pop charts. Nobody did that before so it wasn't a big thing. Now producers see Fresh with a massive wallet and want a piece which i can understand but dnb in the pop charts was a rail crash for the underground.

I loved Pendulum where are they ?
    I loved Chase & Status where are they?
    I loved Fresh before he left to make pop!
    I loved Sigma where ?

Probably more to name but the point is we've lost so many great producers to the pop scene.

20. TheNitwits

TheNitwits Well-Known Member

still good to see fresh is makin new bad co beats. chase & status make some good songs too once in a while. sigma though, what they are doin atm is plain awful imo, cheese from the highest degree.