Will DnB ever be big in the USA?

That must be what a strong 100 crowd? Lol @ the reaction to its a secret, never seen a place go off as much as that....

So my question to you is do you think it will ever crack it big over there? If so what effects do you think this would have on the scene?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the dnb we mostly like round here will ever be big anywhere. But the more mainstream stuff might. Going by the USA's 'EDM' craze where they like music to be as high pitched as possible, I'd say dnb in some form could find a home.

The U.S just doesn't seem to have regular enough lineups that you know start to finish of the night you are going to get quality producers or DJ's from 11-6.

I feel lucky to live in London. Feel like every weekend there is something going on.

Why do you think it was bad for the dubstep scene that the americans caught onto it? there is still loads of amazing releases coming out every week. Its just more underground, where it should be

Yeah so underground that there are now very rarely dubstep events in Leeds (where I live) compared to the surplus there used to be. Don't give a shit about if stuff is underground or not, fact is the term dubstep was tainted as a result of americans catching on to it and the same would inevitably happen to DnB.

Yeah so underground that there are now very rarely dubstep events in Leeds (where I live) compared to the surplus there used to be. Don't give a shit about if stuff is underground or not, fact is the term dubstep was tainted as a result of americans catching on to it and the same would inevitably happen to DnB.

i dont think that the lack of nights in leeds is anything to do with the americans mate. its just a lot of the artists from that 06-09 movement have simply moved on. music comes and goes. jungle, garage, grime, etc. As far as the actual music goes, yea there is a lot of screetchy american shit but a lot of quality old style dubstep coming through too

If it was going to make it in the states it would have happened a long time ago. There is no radio play, venues typically aren't interested in giving out weekend slots, distance tends to be an issue which increases booking costs, etc...

Personally, it's hard to get excited to head out to hear locals play DNB on a weeknight, which I'm doing this evening, when I have all the tunes at home and access to so much stuff online.

back in 2001-ish, tech drum and bass was massive in the US, they had some pretty awsome music going on out there infact, very diffrent from the UK vibe, experimental techno influenced industrial crazyness, but rolling and deep, was good shit, used to listen to events streamed online while i was at work, think i might have a few CDR's somewhere, i'll see if i can dig them up n post em up!

I was actually just going to mention something about this in the Machinedrum thread.

During the late 90s and early 2000s drum and bass had a big following. In Chicago, there were dnb nights literally every night of the week across the city. Jump up kind of killed that and with emergence if dubstep all the dnb nights died with it.

Dnb has postential to make a come back, but I don't think it will be with the EDM crowd. I think it will be with producers like Addison Groove, Om Unit and Machinedrum. Those producers have big followings outside of the world of dnb. The sound will be this hybrid of dnb, juke, footwork and NU jungle. I've noticed crowds have been really receptive of that sound. I just played this weekend to a crowd of art school, hipster kids and played mostly that sound and they were well into it. I played an hour set and was asked to come back on for another hour after the house dj's that played after me.

Who knows though. Maybe the EDM crowd will get into the obnoxiousness of Ram and Hospital. I never, ever thought dubstep would get so big.:knob:

i dont think that the lack of nights in leeds is anything to do with the americans mate. its just a lot of the artists from that 06-09 movement have simply moved on. music comes and goes. jungle, garage, grime, etc. As far as the actual music goes, yea there is a lot of screetchy american shit but a lot of quality old style dubstep coming through too

Yeah to be honest I think you're right

Drum and bass will always be a niche thing here in the States. It had its heyday in very select cities a decade ago and though there are still places where dnb nights happen on the regular, it will never come close to be as widespread and prolific in American culture as it is in the UK.

Drum and bass will always be a niche thing here in the States. It had its heyday in very select cities a decade ago and though there are still places where dnb nights happen on the regular, it will never come close to be as widespread and prolific in American culture as it is in the UK.
Pretty much this.

I do consider myself lucky though, Boston has one of the best and longest running dnb nights in the country. It's small, but the vibe is always on point.

I was just in London, and sure there are lots of events but its not like dnb is pop. Its still niche there.

Im from Vancouver BC. Been into dnb since mid 90s. Scene swelled to having 2-3 weeklies, and 2-3 UK head liners a month. It died when dub step blew up. But the past 2-3 years dnb has come back pretty hard. Now there is 2-3 monthly shows usually on Saturdays at a pretty good night club. Underground is pretty good too, the teens that were into dub step seem to be into dnb.

Bass unites.

I live in Los Angeles and there is def no shortage of good DNB. Just had Tyke and Supreme Being last weekend. Total Science, Andy C, Gridlok, Loadstar, Annix, Hype, Maztek, Culture Shock just to name a small portion of who played just last month. Heist and Sub Zero playin in a couple weeks. Look up Respect Club and Xcellerated Los Angeles. I cant speak for the rest of the US but its poppin' down here.

I'ts pretty big scene here in Cali.. There are strong dnb scenes in San Fran (Stamina Sundays), Los Angeles (Respect), an San Diego (SD Union). Respect in Los Angeles gets big headliners every week.

- - - Updated - - -

I live in Los Angeles and there is def no shortage of good DNB. Just had Tyke and Supreme Being last weekend. Total Science, Andy C, Gridlok, Loadstar, Annix, Hype, Maztek, Culture Shock just to name a small portion of who played just last month. Heist and Sub Zero playin in a couple weeks. Look up Respect Club and Xcellerated Los Angeles. I cant speak for the rest of the US but its poppin' down here.

This, I'm at Respect, Timeless, Xccelerated, SD Union as Often as I Can.

- - - Updated - - -

This month, we have Loxy, Photek, Klute, and Bailey for Halloween, I'm excited although I've seen them all plenty of times before.

There's 2 main reasons why DNB is the way it is in the States. There's a 100 little reasons, but two main ones...

1) US Visa's are ridiculously expensive. As an artist you need to drop about $2,000 for an American visa. So unless you're booked to play lots of big festivals in a year or a big name who can play over there a lot and ask for a high fee (Andy C, Ed Rush & Optical, Noisia, etc.), it's almost impossible for a younger/less well known producer/DJ to make the numbers work unless you're prepared to travel for weeks and weeks on end playing lots of small nights and sleeping on random peoples couches.

2) US has 30% withholding tax and American promoters often don't pay for flights or hotels and offer "all in" inclusive deals (pretty much anywhere else in Europe you'd have your Fee then your hotel/flight sorted on top of that).

If you get booked for say a festival for $6000 you think, ok great $6,000 seems like a pretty good amount, right? Well say there are 2 members of the group, so that's $3,000 each. Now your booking agent gets their 15%, that's $900. US Federal withholding tax of 30%, that's $1,800. So right off the bat, you can basically take whatever your initial fee is and almost chop it in half by 45% before you've even factored in anything else.

So $6,000 fee - $1,800 (withholding tax) -$ 900 (agent commission) = $3,300. If there's 2 members, that's $1650 each. Now both artists have to sort their own flights. Let’s say an average flight from UK to US is about $1,000 (can vary a lot of course). Now we're down to $650 each. Maybe if you're lucky you had a hotel sorted for you... you probably didn't though. So let’s say another $150 for a hotel. Down to $500 each. Now there's always going to be some miscellaneous spending (food, drinks, trains, cabs, etc.) but let’s just be really conservative and say you only dropped $50 each (not bloody likely lol). Down to $450. Did I mention that's American dollars? Your $450 is worth £278 back home in the UK. Yes, believe it or not, your epic $6,000 festival has now whittled down to a whopping 278 quid.

Obviously with the above example it doesn't make much sense to do one-off shows and fly home, so you really need a full weekend of shows minimum to make it even worth it. And with withholding tax there are some provisions/treaties to avoid double taxation from the UK/US, but basically when you get your statement from your agent the next month, that's what you're seeing.

This is why we can't have nice things.

or a big name who can play over there a lot and ask for a high fee (Andy C, Ed Rush & Optical, Noisia, etc.)

Yep. Watch where Andy C plays New Years this year. I bet it's somewhere in the US.

A (mostly dnb) promoter here in NZ who brought Andy C over to play the last two New Years said that a lot of the big names are being snapped up for into the hundreds of thousands of dollars to play in the states at places like Las Vegas / Los Angeles, and so small promoters in places like NZ can't afford some of the biggest names anymore.

So if that's the case (and admittedly they didn't say they were definitely only talking dnb DJs), it's gotta be at least a little bit big in the States.

Back
Top Bottom