Wideboys: Addicted to the Bass (Stepchild Remix)

lostnthesound

Burns Easily in the Sun
VIP Junglist
We caught wind of the contest a bit late so, our time to work on the tune was extremely limited. It's by no means the greatest/most complex tune we've written, but it was a good exercise in creating a nice set of sounds that would fit well with an existing vocal.

In the end we didn't win, but for a tune that we had out the door in less than a week's time, we were pleased.

All feedback is welcomed & appreciated.

Cheers.

The production quality on this tune is superb. I'm mesmerized by the entire tune. It has such amazing flow and vibe. And even the fact that you only had a week to push this out makes it even more incredible. I can't really think of anything serious to criticize on.

But I seriously want to complement you on the drums. That snare. So puncy and perfect. :slayer:

haven't listened the full tune yet but... seriously get that snare and use it almost everywhere layered lol... dat commercial sound!!! :)))
Fucking good drop, would have liked like... more "punchy" hi hats... but that's just own taste... The mixdown is pretty great, voice is like it has to be, a bit in front of it all! mad props 9/10!!!

Holy crap that snare is so good I think the choice of timbre for the main stab chords and semi-lead stabs that come after was poor or just didn't seem to gel with the vocals with me. But the drums sound great I think you should take the drums and use them for another track more with more bass. also the upward sequenced bass wobble seemed drowned out a bit. overall very professional track. Not really a fan of vocals i think the synths take away from them. But overall i think i just prefer different sounds with my drums.

haven't listened the full tune yet but... seriously get that snare and use it almost everywhere layered lol... dat commercial sound!!! :)))
Fucking good drop, would have liked like... more "punchy" hi hats... but that's just own taste... The mixdown is pretty great, voice is like it has to be, a bit in front of it all! mad props 9/10!!!

Thank you kindly Neomind! It's definitely a safe bet that we'll be using the kick and snare in this kit over several tunes! What's funny is that I literally grabbed the first three snares that sounded decent and did a turbo layering job and ended up with a brutal hit...more often then not I'm an hour deep into making a snare and wind up with complete shit! I believe msmith222 then went back to the layered snare and added PSPVintageWarmer (fat mode) for the extra "umph."

Totally agree with you about the hi-hats. After listening back, msmith222 and I definitely think some sharper hats (as well as sequencing variations) to cut through the mix would've been nice. Definitely something we're going to keep in mind with the next tunes.

The production quality on this tune is superb. I'm mesmerized by the entire tune. It has such amazing flow and vibe. And even the fact that you only had a week to push this out makes it even more incredible. I can't really think of anything serious to criticize on.

But I seriously want to complement you on the drums. That snare. So puncy and perfect. :slayer:

Big up Makrodan, thanks for feedback. We were definitely going for more of a, dare I say "radio/commercial" vibe on the tune a la DJ Fresh. We tried going the heavy route but kept losing the vocal in the mix. Thanks for the compliments on the drums too, we've been really focusing a lot of time into really perfecting our drum mixing through multiple bussing, layering, resampling, etc.

Holy crap that snare is so good I think the choice of timbre for the main stab chords and semi-lead stabs that come after was poor or just didn't seem to gel with the vocals with me. But the drums sound great I think you should take the drums and use them for another track more with more bass. also the upward sequenced bass wobble seemed drowned out a bit. overall very professional track. Not really a fan of vocals i think the synths take away from them. But overall i think i just prefer different sounds with my drums.

I can see what you mean about those stabs Pattycake and we definitely appreciate your honest feedback. Msmith222 and I have definitely saved this drum kit, as it's one of the most cohesive, punchy sets we've created and will surely be used/modeled in future tunes.

Thanks to all you guys for the feedback! We assure you that we take it all very seriously and it never falls on deaf ears.

Cheers!

-Stepchild

um, wow thanks guys. can't really add much more, but this is an amazing forum with awesome contributing members and we really like hanging out here!

Someone get this on UKF. It's pinpoint accurate. Can't add anything really. That second build up is really sweet too.

Yes fellas. nailed the sound you were going for. big up!

Always good work from you guys :)

I don't know the original so can't comment on how the stems were used I'm afraid but all sounds pretty fat to me

Wow. Nice work. I can hear that warm tape compression on the drums, sounds great.

Thanks snowbound! Since we've been utilizing PSPVintage Warmer (FAT Mode) more in our productions, it has really warmed up the elements nicely, whether it be a snare hit or bass bus. We really can't say enough good things about the plugin.

Wow, this is immense! The snare hits the spot, indeed...and u did a fast-layering?????? jackpot! :D
Really good job, the structure, the drums, the synths - u guys did really good:P

Send the tune out to some promoter channels, this tune will be definitely upped! :D

Awesome guys! Just dropping by to say that. I wonder what this would of sounded like if you put more time into it? :)

Back
Top Bottom