Why Techno?

Kartoonz

Yo! Was just thinking about this....
Y is it Breakneck has a techno room? I mean really Breakneck is like a DnB night, but then u have this little extra room that no one seems to care about and just play some dodgy techno that has no heart n soul. Y not keep the genre of music reasonably the same and have like Breakbeat in there. Technically it Dnb just at hardcore speed. A bit more chilled n funky. Personally i think it would really take off. There dont seem to be many if any Breakz nights in pompey. Get the Plump Djs or Kraty Kuts and i rekon u wont be able to keep ppl out of that room or away from breakneck.
Anyway just an idea... prob get loads of ppl sayin they hate breakz but surely its better than techno.

It has been done in Pompey for years, I guess it's because a lot of people like both. Vurt used to run things in that respect in the old days, always 2 rooms of dnb and techno. Phase 2 have done simliar things with dnb djs playing in between the techno jocks. Maybe it is time for a change though.....

Only time I'll probably ever get to see Chris Liberator in the south. i like the idea of mixed music policies in clubs it keepsit a bit edgeir & makes lineupsa little more intresting instead of seeing the same old names over & over again. Also you gotta have something different about your eventto succeed & pull in a crowd.

Honestly, I find techno to be more interesting then DNB at the moment. Unfortunatly since Concept Records doesn't exist anymore and there isn't a close techno store to replace it, I can't easily collect techno records. To add this this, Sonic Groove has devoted half of its floor space to Wax Trax-style industrial records instead of proper techno. Then again it could be that the techno that I've started to like, is a few years old and the new stuff is garbage (hence why Sonic Groove doesn't stock as much). I don't know, but what I do know is that the new live Dylan Drazen sets on www.dylandrazen.com are frikken AWESOME!

In any case, I'll take a stripped down techno track over music like Evol Intent's Outbreak record any day of the week.

Theres nothing quite like dancing to this 909 pattern in a smoky club with DMX moving lights going nuts....

CH__CH__OH__CH__CH__CH__OH__CH__CH__CH__OH__CH__CH__CH__OH__CH
BD_______________BD_______________BD_______________BD_____________
_________________SD________________________________SD_____________

OHH YES!!! :2thumbs: Maybe someday DNB will go back to its roots and re-introduce drum patterns like this..... Its unlikely.

i heard the back rooms closing soon :oops_sign , and will turn in a pure dnb wankfest 8O . no one ever went inthere anyway coz there's never anyone good to see. if it was to succedd it neeeded some good actual techno djs .

'Honestly, I find techno to be more interesting then DNB at the moment' i completely agree. ever since LK and twist em out, dnb was never the same for me. dont get me wron g i like dnb, it used to my fave. but then i found techno. it sounded alot more inteligent and thought provoking than dnb imo.
maybe producer should get out of writing music for the dj and write music for the MUSIC.ie no formulas just let the music make itself so to speak .this is a big issue in the techno world ,where the big named culprits are there to make money rather than the music.
but musics all a mattter of opinion so i dont expect any of you to agree with a word of what i just wrote. so let the discussion begin. :who_wants

I don't really agree with the techno being more intelligent than dnb but i do agree that the state of a lot of choons coming out has been going down hill as of lately. Maybe the new sound will catch on maybe it won't but as long as it keeps evolving and we all have the power to help it evolve the way we like it then i'll keep listening.

nov 2003 - adam freeland in the back room at breakneck. possible one of the biggest names in breaks at that moment, had just had a smash hit and was blowing up.
20 people in the room and a lot of money was lost. portsmouth has no breaks seen
and as to the techno dj's, flying someone in first class from stockholm and paying them £3000 for the privilidge (to just get 100 people [luke slater anyone?]) just doesnt add up.
we booked these people because we love them. imo we booked some of the top techno acts in the world. jerome, for example, has been hailed by many (all of the overload forums to name but a few) as one of the best techno jocks alive today. and we've backed him all the way :fingers:
as you say, not worth seeing.

went to a breakbeat/dNb event on good friday and i have to say the breakbeat arena was kickin through the afternoon, aquasky and locals gave a wicked crunchy vibe in the outdoors, although once pendulum and bad company came on in the evening it was on for young and old!!
I agree that breakbeat is more closely allied with our sound, but the idea of having quality techno and dNb available in the same venue is very appealing for me.

As Skope says, we really wanted breaks to work when we had Adam Freeland in November. Playing to an almost empty room, which says it all about the chances of breaks working out at Breakneck.

And it's not true that the techno room was always empty, I'd say there's usually 100-200 in there, dancing, for the last set, and the atmosphere is usually excellent.

In Oct for Mark EG (when he got stuck in traffic and didn't make it), the room was packed out, and Tod Livingstone (the techno resident) more than filled the gap.

Mark EG is back at the next Breakneck so anyone doubting Techno should have a look in then.

People go on about who they want to hear and what kind of techno, but we've tried everything, loads of styles and different DJs, but its Chris Liberator and the other SUF names that pull in the crowds (as well as doing the business).

:monkey:

I think stuff like krafty cuts and the plumps is the most boring music out there.

I wouldn't agree that it suits dnb more, as after listening to dnb breaks sounds really half arsed to me, i'd rather hear something like techno that another style isn't doing much better

Kartoonz said:
Yo! Was just thinking about this....
Y is it Breakneck has a techno room? I mean really Breakneck is like a DnB night, but then u have this little extra room that no one seems to care about and just play some dodgy techno that has no heart n soul. Y not keep the genre of music reasonably the same and have like Breakbeat in there. Technically it Dnb just at hardcore speed. A bit more chilled n funky. Personally i think it would really take off. There dont seem to be many if any Breakz nights in pompey. Get the Plump Djs or Kraty Kuts and i rekon u wont be able to keep ppl out of that room or away from breakneck.
Anyway just an idea... prob get loads of ppl sayin they hate breakz but surely its better than techno.
i agree bout the breaks. but wen u say breaks is dnb at hardcore speed, well thats just a load of rubbish. hardcore is dnb speed or if any thing a bit faster and breaks is like near enuff garage speed bout 140bpm. just 4rt id point that out .
(n)

personally, i'd love to see hiphop at dnb events, especially the british sound cos it is a diff turn of pace and really compliments the ideals of dnb when it was at its best, only bad thing is, i jus hope the recent poppin up of rappin pikeys(smiley idea anyone???) doesnt continue.

skope said:
nov 2003 - adam freeland in the back room at breakneck. possible one of the biggest names in breaks at that moment, had just had a smash hit and was blowing up.
20 people in the room and a lot of money was lost. portsmouth has no breaks seen
and as to the techno dj's, flying someone in first class from stockholm and paying them £3000 for the privilidge (to just get 100 people [luke slater anyone?]) just doesnt add up.
we booked these people because we love them. imo we booked some of the top techno acts in the world. jerome, for example, has been hailed by many (all of the overload forums to name but a few) as one of the best techno jocks alive today. and we've backed him all the way :fingers:
as you say, not worth seeing.

i supose i was a bit over the top about break neck .ive had me best nights there. i spose im just concerned that there might not be any techno in pompey. i did forgot that jerome's and lawrie played there mind so i take back what i sayed about it not having any good techno djs down. and i also have taken on board the issue of paying 3000 for 100 people.obviously not worth it . maybe its coz pompeys shit or noones got musical taste downhere. :violin: i admire you for having the balls to put techno and dnb together in such a place as portsmouth, and continuing to keep it going even if peoilple only go for dnb. :thumbsup: so sorry for any offence skope.ps will def be there for mark eg.

H20 said:
i agree bout the breaks. but wen u say breaks is dnb at hardcore speed, well thats just a load of rubbish. hardcore is dnb speed or if any thing a bit faster and breaks is like near enuff garage speed bout 140bpm. just 4rt id point that out .
(n)

probably referring to hardcore circa 1991-92, when it was in fact approx 140bpm. 170bpm hardcore was only defined after jungle split off I feel.
yeah i couldnt listen to breaks AFTER dNb it does feel lame-ass. But before, in the afternoon beer soaked vibe it does just dandy.
\ techno seems to be ignored by many people though, and good techno is worth lisnin to.

H20 said:
(n)

Early (1990-1991) 'ardcore was at 140 bpm.

But compairing breaks to 'ardcore is blasphamy. Breaks music is frikken boring and 'ardcore is the bees knees.

Perhaps your thinking like most US people who don't know shit about proper 'ardkore and think the word "hardcore" means lenny d style gabba (hence why I don't call the real rave music "hardcore", because people in the US assume your talking about gabba).

mesh said:
went to a breakbeat/dNb event on good friday and i have to say the breakbeat arena was kickin through the afternoon, aquasky and locals gave a wicked crunchy vibe in the outdoors, although once pendulum and bad company came on in the evening it was on for young and old!!
I agree that breakbeat is more closely allied with our sound, but the idea of having quality techno and dNb available in the same venue is very appealing for me.
Yeah the breaks create the mood but as someone said lets get sum UK HIP HOP GROUPS DOWN BRAINTAX DEF TEX ETC these people are runnin the scene and it merges well with the dnb vibe so do it gwaan gwaan gwaaan... :mr_cool:

Mixture of everything would be cool, but i don't think most people are open minded enough to listen to teckno, hardcore, old skool and hip hop all in one night :lamur:

1992 said:
Zest: IMOP Hip-Hop has no place at a dance music event.
At Hardware nights, Drum & Bass and Hip-Hop go hand in hand, works for me every time.

Back
Top Bottom