Why I Cant Mix ???

moriaty

VIP Junglist
WHAT TA FUCK ? ! ? ! ?
Up to bout three months ago, it was generaly admited by those that had hear me play that me beatmatching is just above decent. But lately every session i'm doin at home, i cant beatmatch to save my life. I dont get it...fukin devolution shit here :cry:
anyone got any tips/cure for mah case? give us a hand here, i'm doin my first gig on the 11/7 and if i keep it like this is gonna be my last :(

it happens mang
when you first take those training wheels off and get your mixing down, from time to time you'll get into a slump. it's normal ... we all went through it.

the biggest bit of advice i can give you is that you need to just let it go ... don't stress yourself out about it, because the more pressure you put on yourself about it, the less likely you are to get back to "normal".

so just don't sweat it ... you're biggest problem is that you're expecting too much of yourself
if you know how to do it ... it'll come by itself

Last edited:
thanx for that dud. youre propably right.i do stress maself bout it-you should see the kick marks on the desk unda me decks...Plus its a stresfull period for me anyway (Degree exams..bah..)
I just hope i'll get back to normal soon :rolleyes:

i get the same thing with producing... sometimes i just dont feel like writing a tune or i dont have any ideas.... but i try and force myself too anyway and end up with a big pile of shit.... there's like a pressure that you have to write so many tunes each month etc etc.... but it's all counter productive

remember you're an artist... :D

Yup, I'll agree with those that got here before me. I've had several bouts with losing my mixing skills all of a sudden. It's not quite like ridin a bike. Keep at it, and they'll come back.

jerel

while i'm re-reading this post

what might be your best bet, is to just not mix for a few days ... just don't bother with it
come back in a week [if thats how long you feel you need]
and by then you'll 'want' to impress yourself, apposed to expect to be impressed

i hardly ever mix at home anymore ... granted i'm fortunate to have 2 resident spots and enough gigs to keep me mixing regardless. you'll find that when you eventually do come back to your "common ground" you appreciate it more, and you can have a lot more aspiration flowing out of you to get things done

another thing ...
record demo's ... over & over & over & over
but don't give them to anyone ... listen to them yourself
you'll know what you're doing wrong ... and in the same turn, you'll know what you need to fix

cheers and good luck mang
:towelie:

another thing ...
record demo's ... over & over & over & over
but don't give them to anyone ... listen to them yourself
you'll know what you're doing wrong ... and in the same turn, you'll know what you need to fix

yeah..been doin this since day one. I've made at least 20 tapes , which i give away to mates who dont really care bout the mix, just the tunes( and the aint involved neither have mates that are promoting, so no harm done there :D ) It is indeed the best way to spot mistakes. I guess the main reason for me downfall is that i havent been practising really often
(Degree exams..bah..)

I'll start daily session again on Friday. If all goes well i'll try to post a mix ere for feedback, coz you know, sometimes you think your mix is ok, but i tink someones elses view would be more usefull... :hulk:

Try mixing the same tunes into each other, preferably something with a simple 2-step break. Just mix one into the other, and then back again.
Sometimes too many different beat patterns will just fuck you up. Watch most non dnb DJs when they try to mix it, they will always fuck it up because there is too much going on.

smoke some weed man

that's what it's all about man, just finding that groove and being able to get right into it everytime you put on the headphones, yeah it'll piss yah off when yah can't do it, but that's part of the game, one day you'll have it the next you won't....we've definately all gone through it man, don't even sweat it.

and before you know it you'll know everything you do is
:dutty: :dutty:

Back
Top Bottom