why does nearly every dj i have ever watched allways

Fire starter

VIP Junglist
have there decks pitched up at like +4 ??? i really don't understand what the point of doing it is ?

i was just thinking maybe there are some advantages. my mate who got me into drum and bass owns some old citronic decks and he says the reason he does it is because the pitch shift is a bit dogey around the 0 mark but is a lot more accurate pitch up or down.

I personally prefer the sound of a track at the speed and pitch that the producer made it .

some people prefer it a bit faster. i usually pitch up 2 %
i dunno why it just feels that little bit more energetic

my mate who got me into drum and bass owns some old citronic decks and he says the reason he does it is because the pitch shift is a bit dogey around the 0 mark but is a lot more accurate pitch up or down.

That is only true of Technic Mk2s, but as that's what most clubs have anyway it's a good point.

if I'm doing a properly progressive set i might start at 0 and then go up 1 every so often so it gets faster as the mix continues

i was just thinking maybe there are some advantages. my mate who got me into drum and bass owns some old citronic decks and he says the reason he does it is because the pitch shift is a bit dogey around the 0 mark but is a lot more accurate pitch up or down.

I personally prefer the sound of a track at the speed and pitch that the producer made it .

thats fine to start with but some tunes maye be faster or slower an i hate havin a tune below 0 so i have my pitch up around 2 -3 dependin what tune im startin with

i find there can be a small bump or ridge around the 0.0 mark on the pitch adjust
its easier to not work in this area, instead work up a the pitch bar a bit

It keeps the energy up, plus you dont have the problem of the 0% click on the decks.

But you will find alot of big djs change the tempo through the night, at some points they will be playing their tracks at 180bpm but other points in the night they might be playing a track at 174bpm. No point playing a chilled track alot faster than it was made as it just doesn't sound as good.

I tend to mix around 178bpm... this is usually about +3 for most jump up dnb labels. The more techy stuff sometimes need a little more of a pitch up. It is pretty easy to adjust pitch even during the mix, if you are pretty competant with pitch shifting. Pitch is something which I have become more and more interested in as I am stretching out to different genres, and wanting to use more than one type of music in the mix.

Using a digital deck with master tempo does help with the ability to pitch further without chimp monking the track.

Still each to there own, I see people maxing +8 all night long. At those nights most the time the clientel want something as fast and schreechy as possible to increase their buzz man!

Like everyone's saying it's about the energy mate. If you like your dnb dancefloor oriented then you're going to play it like you're in a club. The best crowd reactions usually come from tunes pitched at or around + 4 so it looks like that's the unofficial dancefloor consensus at the moment.

I dont know if anyone can help but what the fuck does DJ Heretic smoke to make him press his tunes at that speed? I dont have anything that will even remotely go with them pitch wise.

Last edited:
yea i mix @ around the +4 mark
Just feels like its got more energy. especially when playing out. with a studio mix i might bring the pitch down a bit but not sooo much lol

If I'm at home having a little mix, I like to be on the - side, usuall -2 to -3, it's easier listening for the home. I don't really need to be hopin at the bit while in my basement.

Playing with some people around and/or after a few drinks, the pitch usually ends up on the plus side, usually +2 - +4.

Im similar /\/\/\

When im chilling out at home after a rave with a few people I will play softer liquid at around -2.
a 171 BPM track will be at about -1.
However when Im playing out I tend to mix 172 tunes at about +4

With Dubstep I mix 140 tunes at around +4 aswell.

All about playing tunes at +4. Keeps the energy up and they sound a little better quicker too

when you play a tune at 0 they dont sound as good

Back
Top Bottom