why does my bass 'click'

richie_stix

gomby plz
VIP Junglist
right... this is something really pissing me off now, as my drums are pretty hot and firing and i can get synths to do what I want now and sampling was always my forte... but bass is a cunt!

i can get a wicked sub sound with maybe say a square or saw working with it/along side it (depending on the track and what is needed of the bass)... but the bloody bass's always click at the start of the note?

i have tried pulling the attack of the oscilator right back to hide it but then the bass note might as well not exist!

anyone care to enlighten me on how to solve it or what might be causing it... should i be ducking the volume right at the begning of the note?

What synth? Is it every single note? If you render it to audio is it still there?

abletons operator... and a few other free vst's i tried supposodly for bass (made better myself with ableton to be honest!)... as far as rendering out goes, not sure as it is always normally rendered out with the rest of the track so clicks are hidden anyway! :clown:

could be a number of things - ure comp hasnt got enough ram to handle the cpu
or your bass it to low so it glitches.
i think gloxxy meant to bounce it down to wav and load in sampler.

Yeah I meant bounce/export the bass loop and load it into a sampler then you can trim the click from the start.

The glox knows.

Sample that shit and layer it up with different effects on each.

Same with everything layer, layer, layer

Whack some distortion and flanger on it then compress that bitch.

it's just sub bass mainly... so distortion, flanger and compression would ruin it's purity?

cheers for the advice though mr glox... i will try this shizzle!

although CPU could well be a culprit!

soundcard have anything to do with it? mine was awesome when new but is getting on a lot of years!

it's just sub bass mainly... so distortion, flanger and compression would ruin it's purity?

cheers for the advice though mr glox... i will try this shizzle!

although CPU could well be a culprit!

soundcard have anything to do with it? mine was awesome when new but is getting on a lot of years!

The soundcard shouldn't matter as long as the latency is low. 5 - 20 ms is fine.

see the glide thread i posted about last week.

i had this problem and with some tweaking with the methods in the glide thread and also over lapping the notes gets rid of this problem

cheers mrsfx, i remember that thread but i think i might have been advising you on glide! :rolleyes:... yes glide removes (some of the click) from notes that follow each other... but in one tune in particular it still does it even on the start of the first bar of bass? :confused:

sorry, just read my post back and sounded like a cunt! no offence intended, it just amused me that the student is becoming a master! :D

All you need to do is increase the attack abit and if it clicks at the end of a note aswell adjust the release slightly untill the clicks vanish

All you need to do is increase the attack abit and if it clicks at the end of a note aswell adjust the release slightly untill the clicks vanish

This, I always get a click at the beginning of samples/WAVs so I just up the attack slightly, I'm using reason though so I don't know what your using so it might be different.

alot of the time bass clicks because it isn't sitting on the zero crossing mark in its waveform, or ending on the zero crossing mark, as sam said, attack works, but you can also replace the synth with a long C note of a sample of the synth editing it in your favourite wave editor. make sure the start and end is at zero crossing...

0cross.gif

if you are slicing the sample, to get at the good pieces (maybe to add a bit of range and movement,) always chop them at zero.

sometimes a click or clip is due to DC offset problems, which generally means the center of the waveform doesn't sit at zero. altering this is difficult at times and can effect the overall sample.

fig1.gif

you can also lowpass the sample if its a sub along side some ADSR control.
attack modification, as described by welsh junglist and sam the dnb man, on the sub also helps with kick drums headroom :beers:

[EDIT]

also remove the low low end (you dont hear it and its best to remove for headroom purposes)

get a steep HP filter and chop off all the 20 - 30hz you will be able to make your basslines louder due to this process.
buzz machines had something called Auto DC blocker, if you use FL, add it into each insert at the end of each chain like so:

1. www.buzzmachines.com search for cyanphase auto DC blocker
2. put the auto DC blocker .dll into a noted folder (c:/my super cool vst folder/)
3. add buzz effect adapter and inside the adapter look for the cyanphase auto DC blocker from the noted folder
4. ensure its at the end of the effects chains (might as well put one in the master channel too.

you can do the FL param EQ preset to pretty much the same extent, just autoDCblocker, for me, confirms no DC offset gets through :)
[/EDIT]
big ups

Last edited:
right... this is something really pissing me off now, as my drums are pretty hot and firing and i can get synths to do what I want now and sampling was always my forte... but bass is a cunt!

i can get a wicked sub sound with maybe say a square or saw working with it/along side it (depending on the track and what is needed of the bass)... but the bloody bass's always click at the start of the note?

i have tried pulling the attack of the oscilator right back to hide it but then the bass note might as well not exist!

anyone care to enlighten me on how to solve it or what might be causing it... should i be ducking the volume right at the begning of the note?

Adjust your attack and release !!

Back
Top Bottom