WHY DOES A TUNE SOUND SO QUIET IN VOLUME WHEN EXPORTED FROM LOGIC AS MP3/ WAV

Discussion in 'Production' started by MistaBossman, May 18, 2012.

1. MistaBossman

MistaBossman Member

Hiyer, just as the title says, why is it when you have your tune inside of Logic it sounds all good and well but as soon as you export it, it sounds a lot lower in volume whether you export as wav or 320 mp3? Any suggestions on getting it sounding like how it does in the DAW when exported? Upping volume faders or maybe adding a limiter? Any tips? Many Thanks.

2. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

add an adaptive limiter to your master channel, set the ceiling at -0.2 and push the gain up until its as loud as you want!

I believe (may be wrong) that you shouldnt touch the input scale control i think it will distort the audio! gain should boost without distorting

3. MistaBossman

MistaBossman Member

4. sam the dnb man

sam the dnb man Variation

Make sure you normalize it when exporting.

Also a good thing to do is take any low end out of things that aren't meant to have any bass.
    A lot of hi hat samples have some low end even though you can't really hear it.

5. Vanguard Audio

Vanguard Audio Member

you might have logics master volume (bottom right of the screen) turned under 0bd, this will affect bounced projects

6. prettyherb

prettyherb O I

It's the same in fl studio. I just turn up the master volume before i export it.

7. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

I would honestly advise against normalizing the tune, as it tends to introduce a bit of "mud" upon playback.

Assuming you're wanting to add "volume" upon export for personal listening/referencing, do the following:
    1. Insert a compressor on the Master Out.
    2. Set a very small threshold (-3 to -6 dB).
    3. Change the gain value to 0 dB.
    3. Click on the triangle located at the bottom left corner of the compressor UI window.
    4. At the "output distortion" option, select "soft." You'll instantly notice the volume increase.
    5. If you still need a bit more punch, simply add a bit of gain using the compressor's gain slider.

This is the only time I would advise adding a compressor (or any plug for that matter) to the Master Out. If you intend to send the exported track to a mastering house, make sure to disable all plugs on your Master Out prior to export.

Cheers.

8. T:M

T:M Dusty Techno Workout

Very nice advice! Will use this in the future!

9. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

No, theres no need to normalize anything.

10. yogi23

yogi23 Member

Cheers for this gonna give it a go! i was using Brainworx mastering plugs that my mate has but i just couldnt find the right sound for some reason, seemed like it was real easy to over do.

11. MistaBossman

MistaBossman Member

Thanks so whats better to do compress the master out put bus or add a limiter?

12. fractal

fractal Well-Known Member

i dont understand how normalizing adds mud?

i thought it was essentially gaining the music to 0db

13. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

quite often, someone would do both. you can achieve a better "loudness boost" by inserting a compressor with fairly light/transparent settings (gain reduction meter should return to zero often) followed by a limiter. you can then adjust the limiter until you hear the sound change - your drop will start to lose impact, for example, just dial it back a little from that point.

---------- Post added at 16:36 ---------- Previous post was at 16:34 ----------

i don't either, but I have heard it with my own ears on several occasions. probably just talking out of my ass since I don't really understand normalization fully, but we have had less than favorable results multiple times using normalize.

14. lostnthesound

Alright, here is a crash course in normalization.

Yes, normalization does gain the music to 0 dB. The question is, what is used to determine how to get the music to 0dB?

There are typically two types of normalization, Peak and Loudness (average).

Peak Normalization will take the loudest part of the track and increase the overall gain to match that peak. While in theory this is nice way to give your track an overall boost, if your track hasn't been mixed very well, you may not be impressed with the results. For example, if you didn't surgically eq out some of the "bad" frequencies (sibs, mud, etc.) than those are going to be boosted, making your track sound like shit. It's basically a hardcore limiter that you have no control over (at least in Logic anyway). However, it's still slightly better than...

Loudness Normalization. Calculates the average loudness of your track and makes the gain increases accordingly. The tracks average can be determined via average power (ex. RMS) or human perceived loudness (ReplayGain). Now here's the problem: Depending on the loudest and quietest part of your tune (aka dynamic range) the averaging may result in unnecessary loudness. For example, if your tune has random "spikes" (due to an over compressed/Eq'd instrument for example), that excess volume is going to severely mess up that average loudness calculation. The end result is a track that has been–for lack of a better term–over normalized (aka loud beyond it's means). Your track will experience noise, clipping, etc. Some normalising software does contain some type of dynamic range safeguard, but in the case of bouncing a tune in Logic , your only option is to normalize or not.

Rather than be at the mercy of a computer's analysis of the loudness of your track, why not throw a compressor and/or limiter on your master out so you atleast have a bit of control over what processing is going on? To add, you're probably exporting a track with loudness so you can listen back to it on some reference systems. That said, you still want a fairly transparent result. IMO, since you control the compressor and/or limiter settings, you control the transparency–not a computer calculation. The end result may not peak at -.03 dB the entire track like with normalizing, but the overall sound will be much cleaner.

Cheers.

15. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

i knew this a**hole was gonna come in here and show me up...

16. lostnthesound

LoL. That's how I roll.

17. equilibrium

equilibrium Member