Why do you pay for mp3s?

I bought the majority of my DnB from Digital-Tunes in FLAC, but encode everything into VBR2 for listening purposes (and for my mp3 player i use at work).
FLAC is for archiving reasons.....because i had this idea that in some vague glorious distant future, where everything is better, i would switch to FLAC completely.

Which is probably never going to happen.
Currently all the FLAC files are just sitting on my HD and waste space.

I can hear absolutely no difference between the two formats, which tells me the superiority of FLAC is just an irrational idea i cling to, that will never matter for my listening habits.

I dont djay, so the argument, FLAC/WAV sounds better on a big rig is irrelevant as well.
Its highly unlikely that i will ever own a better soundsystem, because, well, i have neighbours too :)

Love everyone who insists on buying WAV or FLAC, you guys keep us in business... all I can say is in the hundreds and hundreds of promos I have sent in my lifetime to EVERY DJ in this scene, not once ever has someone hit me back and said, "can you send the WAV instead of the MP3". Take that for what you want, but every time you've ever gone out and seen a DJ, they're mostly playing 320s unless it's their own tunes.

I do like @zeroec thinking though about the glorious future-world, even though your average punter is probably listening to DNB on their phone speakers mainly. I remember years and years ago ripping tons of my old CDs @ 192kb because my iPod at the time couldn't fit much before they had storage like today, and now I'm like ughhh I don't want to re-rip this stuff. lol :-/

Also now that streaming is completely taking over (Spotify alone is representing 60%+ (depending on the label/style of tunes) of royalties. I'm not a big enough audio nerd to explain the technical shit of it, but a big audio geek who handles a lot of the big names studio setups told me really you should be doing 2 masters - one for DJs (or shops for DJs like Beatport), and then another for Spotify / Apple Music / streaming type sites as they're all normalizing the volume & levels across the board for music, and obviously DNB is in constant "loud wars" making everything louder and louder all the time, but it will end up sounding worse on those type of sites cause they're trying to level you out with the Bieb's or whatever. o_O

Love everyone who insists on buying WAV or FLAC, you guys keep us in business... all I can say is in the hundreds and hundreds of promos I have sent in my lifetime to EVERY DJ in this scene, not once ever has someone hit me back and said, "can you send the WAV instead of the MP3". Take that for what you want, but every time you've ever gone out and seen a DJ, they're mostly playing 320s unless it's their own tunes.

I do like @zeroec thinking though about the glorious future-world, even though your average punter is probably listening to DNB on their phone speakers mainly. I remember years and years ago ripping tons of my old CDs @ 192kb because my iPod at the time couldn't fit much before they had storage like today, and now I'm like ughhh I don't want to re-rip this stuff. lol :-/

Also now that streaming is completely taking over (Spotify alone is representing 60%+ (depending on the label/style of tunes) of royalties. I'm not a big enough audio nerd to explain the technical shit of it, but a big audio geek who handles a lot of the big names studio setups told me really you should be doing 2 masters - one for DJs (or shops for DJs like Beatport), and then another for Spotify / Apple Music / streaming type sites as they're all normalizing the volume & levels across the board for music, and obviously DNB is in constant "loud wars" making everything louder and louder all the time, but it will end up sounding worse on those type of sites cause they're trying to level you out with the Bieb's or whatever. o_O
Quality post, see guys buy wavs to keep cash flow up for Tim VIP Viper

Quality post, see guys buy wavs to keep cash flow up for Tim VIP Viper
lol well *if* it truly doesn't make a difference, I'd rather you guys buy two of our tunes than one of our tunes. ;) We did actually lower prices of WAV/FLAC on our Viper shop recently, so you can buy a standard 2-track single in WAV for £2. (cheap plug)

What a great response Viper.

I've often wondered this as most people I know dj with mp3's as to Wav or Flac.

I tend to buy flacs or wavs as I'm a bit of an audiophile! But again I can't really tell the difference. Tend to buy from 7 digital who are the cheapest

I have a new format that I'm trialing at the moment. It's a VR TSUNAMI file.

Basically as storage is so cheap these days each files is around 1GB in size and when played on the right system it actually cause a Virtual Reality Tsunami. In a bedroom mix it just causes a slight flooding.

the most stupid thing is that you insist on keeping the files in wav, when you could save +30% on your hard drive by converting to FLAC with no loss in quality.

but you probably don't know that because you're an idiot.

the most stupid thing is that you insist on keeping the files in wav, when you could save +30% on your hard drive by converting to FLAC with no loss in quality.

but you probably don't know that because you're an idiot.
Flac off faggot

Back
Top Bottom