Why do we love celebrities dying so much?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Borf™, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Something I've noticed quite a lot over the past few years, is that as soon as someone famous dies, everyone heads to facebook to post about how sad it is, how much they'll be missed or what the've.

But do they really mean it?

Take Mandela for instance. Nobody on my facebook has ever mentioned him before. Not once while he's been ill. To be honest, most the people on my facebook have any clue what he really did or anything about his life.

Yet everyone is posting up about it. Posting some insightful quote of his. I'm not slagging onyone on my facebook off, but they ain't fooling anyone. No way did they know that quote before he died. They've read it somewhere and posted it up. Not because it's touched them previous. Simply because they want to jump on the bandwagon.

I genuinely think people like it when a celeb or historical figue dies. Because it makes people feel involved. They all rush to facebook and post up some generic comment. "Our lives will never be the same": posted by a 21 year old white guy from Cardiff, about Mandela. I have no fucking clue how Mandela changed his life. He fucking didn't.

It just highly annoys me how people suddenly care about someone when they die. To be honest, it's more of a sign of disrespect than respect. People don't care, they just jump on the bandwagon because it's popular and current.

I hate how fickle people are.

2. Teddy

Teddy 60% Staff Member

imagine if we regarded everyone that died in the same way as a famous person.

3. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Honestly, people care less about the old woman down the street who said good morning everyday than they do about some twat on tv.

The old woman dies, most people wouldn't think twice.

Some random celeb dies and everyone talks about it and says how sad it is.

4. Sweaty Teddy

Sweaty Teddy Nob'ed

If what I've read is true when people get a like or a share on Facebook their brain releases dopamine which is what your brain gets flooded with when you take cocaine so all it really is, is people fielding for likes and shares whilst trying to be real deep , I've also been noticing a lot of people trying to pass on mottos that they have decided to live by, as if they think they are some prophetic genius who is passing on their infinite wisdom to their "friends" which is funny because most of the time they ignore their own advice and tend to write something depressing a few days later

rysk likes this.
  5. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

TL;DR

No offense man but I don't have a clue why you are still on this. Just get over it.

6. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

People are merely paying their respects, if people wish to do so, let them.

7. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

I think it's people looking to manufacture shared experiences it gives them something to talk about they can run through the emotions they would normally feel when someone dies except obviously they dont know that person. Obviously it comes across as overblown emotionally speaking but then social media is quite a touchy feely americanised experience so that sort of stuff is not unexpected. And of course people follow conventions etc behave how they are expected to behave.

Funny how nobody tries that shit in my presence they know I'd blow a hole in their bow if they did. Face to face is different to writing it down I guess.

8. RUSSLA

RUSSLA DNBF Monarch

[​IMG]

EWOKS and DeeGun like this.
  9. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

The only hole he´d blow would be in a donut. If there wasn´t already one. :teeth:

10. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

11. Rusket

Rusket Mix an blend

negativity! he clearly did a lot more for humanity than all of the people on this forum, combined probably. People are showing their respect for a true hero, personally I didn't feel the need to write RIP Mandela on my facebook, but if that's how some people want to express their feelings then let them, stop being so cynical and just reflect on the great

12. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Nobody forces you to read my posts, and nobody certainly forces you to open my threads.

Sorry for posting up a topic on a forum. How silly of me.

I won't bother posting something that people may want to converse about. I'll just post up some random meme next time.

It's a completely valid thread. People comment and post about people dying when they never gave a shit in the first place.

But that's my point, they're not doing it because they mean it. It's to jump on the bandwagon. If anything, that's disrespectful.

13. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i dont really care, you know, i just get on with my life so much better than normal people, so im not bothered about this, i dont see why you should care about this, i think only weak and stupid people care about this, but im not so i dont

14. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

Mandela was just my example.

It can apply to anoyone famous though.

When someone dies, everyone jump on facebook to comment about it, wether or not they cared for the person or not. Why?

Because it's trending. It's just to be on the bandwagon. To be part of something maybe? It's bullshit.

15. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Nobody forces you to read peopls status' or threads on people dying

Eternaloptimist and RUSSLA like this.
  16. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

Head to David Cameron's twitter for lols

17. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Fair enough. Then don't let it get to you.

Nothing 1 person can do to stop something trending for the sake of something, its like when the whole of a social media site start talking about the weather because its windy, one person sees another write about it and follows suit...its just a natural reaction to some people.

I kind of half agree with what you are saying but I don't see why you are making this argument, yes it happens? So what? Most of us aren't like that so let them be and do something more productive with your day...

18. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

deep down people just get off on other people dying, thats it

19. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

But I don't comment on their status saying "tldr, he's dead get over it"

By the way, did you have anything to contribute to the thread or were you just having a go at me?

- - - Updated - - -

I merely am asking why though.

Why do people care so much about a celebrity that in the grand scheme of things is quite irrelevant. More people care about a celeb dying than when a child get's murdered somewhere. More people commented about Paul Walker dying than Mandela.

I just wonder why people think that like and feel the need to jump on a bandwagon and get involved.

20. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

i dont see why you should care about this, its just if you get on with your life so much better than other people like i do, it is impossible for me to be bothered. my mother raised me well btw. seen much shit in my life. + know whats going on.