Why do unrelased versions of tunes sound so much better than when they are released ?

Ollie G

I cant understand why some songs sound so much better when they are unreleased than when actually get released, for example; Survival - didgy, huge tune as a dubplate but as soon as it gets released it sounds ruined. Another example is original sin - therapy vip, sounded sick befor it got released then bang! released and sounding shit, any thoughts on this strange phenomenon ?

Re: Why do unrelased versions of tunes sound so much better than when they are releas

Over hyped over played...

I have a rule for Unreleased/Forthcoming tunes, especially if they get a lot of hype, or are in a album format.
that rule being only listen to the Radio rip/mix rip/Preview clips like maximum of 4 times.

Know the tune is there and enjoy it in full once released.

Btw started using this rule after the Mythos single on virus got ruined for me as a result of every fucking DJ on the planet throwing it in their mix leading up to the release.

Re: Why do unrelased versions of tunes sound so much better than when they are releas

I've noticed the same thing with alot of tunes, especially noisia tunes. maybe because they don't have a proper mixdown and are just at a test stage? or just have a quick master for the club and then the release is mastered somewhere else.

Probably because it takes so long for some tracks to get released. Sometimes DJs are playing a particular tune for a year or more before the release is released.

Survival - didgy

Good tune but I didn't quite get the hype on this.

For me if you go back to the late 90's this happened all the time. Andy C had a dub of Ed Rush & Optical - Funktion that sounded a lot rougher than the release.

sample clearance is the usual reason why, like noisia's tune my world, they had to re-record the vocal sample because they couldn't clear the original sample. made it sound iffy as the original was so good .

Btw started using this rule after the Mythos single on virus got ruined for me as a result of every fucking DJ on the planet throwing it in their mix leading up to the release.

Love mythos tho!!!

smooth - virgo cluster was another one that got changed up, frankee - wonderland also had an earlier grittier version which was a lot better in my opinion

also noisia & the upbeats - loudmouth sounded absolutely insane on a shitty youtube rip but the version that came out feels so much less grittier and sounds far too polished that i cant quite enjoy it that much

shame when this stuff happens

OCD generally....
^^^ This! Because producers are a bunch of crazy lunatics who obsess over details and frequencies that only dogs can hear and by the time they finally get it to a point that "they're" happy with it, they've probably become so sick and jaded of the tune that they changed it from what "we", the listener originally liked about it. lol :D

Probably because when the producer finish his/her song, it's all made by him/herself, this being the song sounding like they want to. Then, the record label send it to third party for mastering purposes, and the so called engineer fuck things up.

Some of you will be amazed what tunes sounding like before and after mastering, I've just had the masters back for a forthcoming release of mine and a lot of work done afterwards can change it for the good/bad. luckily I am pleased with how my tunes sound and the mastering was top notch! :)

Maybe also because you first hear it out on a big soundsystem, then it just doesn't sound as good on your shit home speakers and your Beats by Dre.

^ realistically though, how many tunes do you first hear out on a big soundsystem these days?

I'd say 99% of the tunes I buy I've heard first on a shitty youtube rip of a low bitrate radio stream.

I think it's good when producers take their time with tunes. Especially when Sub Focus does. His released versions of his tunes are usually a lot better than the first edits that get played out.

BlokHe4d - Last Days Of Disco.

Ed Rush played a ridiculously grimey dub of it at Cable wayyyy back, heard the same version in a few vids. Release sounded crap compared to it.

Maybe also because you first hear it out on a big soundsystem, then it just doesn't sound as good on your shit home speakers and your Beats by Dre.

It's probably this. Most of the time, tracks won't live up with the expectations you had hearing a certain track out on a big soundsystem. As well you will certainly not like a track that much anymore when you churned a clip of it for weeks and weeks. Same reason why people don't like changed versions of tracks.

I had this with Loadstar - Hit The Ground

The version on NL5 was much different to the release, but i preferred the first mix to the final edit tbh

But yeah, as mentioned, they're mainly early mixdowns and go through loads of them before they get to releasing stage (i think Druggy had a about 40 odd before it was put out)

I if recall correctly Virgo Cluster had also about 40 previous versions according to what Smooth said in some interview. Anyways to disagree with Wayne, I actually like the final version of Hit The Ground better than the NL5 one. Still in my top3 Loadstar tunes.

It works the other way round as well. I remember the original release of Talk To Frank on The Perfect Blue EP and it sounded absolutely terrible. They had to re-release it as remastered version.

Back
Top Bottom