Why do so many DJ's sound the same...

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by hippo, Nov 21, 2004.

1. hippo

hippo Member

IMO, many of the big names are playing the same tunes as eachother as they have done for many years. Chuck me a Zinc or an Andy C tape and I would struggle to pick out which was which. It's disappointing in some ways that a lot of promoters won't gamble a bit more on new talent. This I believe would keep the scene extra fresh and ensure we'd have a thriving scene for years to come. Some like Bounce in Norwich and maybe Klusta and myself are trying this and particularly Bounce are doing so with great success. To have a blinder at one of the big nights takes many pills. How can you not get pissed off with the sames tunes getting constant rewinds all night otherwise. I sincerely hope I have offended no one....but if I have, Bollox. Any opinions on this, please go on.... :rinsed:

2. ProducerMDDCVA

ProducerMDDCVA New Member

Promoters wont risk having incredible talented groundbreaking acts out because the general populus of partygoers are unappreciative, jaded, and they just don't understand some of the music they are missing.

I'm tired of the same of shit too. And so, I don't go to those shows. I wait for performances from a Squarepusher, or a Kid Koala, or a RJD2, a DJ Craze, or an Andy Caldwell....

As a promoter, I only book DJs with risk-taking, eccentric styles and music. And since the people in the scene will never commit to coming to a creative new show (they'd rather see Tiesto one more time...) I can only risk booking great local DJs. To me, the local DJs are doing more groundbreaking stuff than some of the bigtime DJs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2004
  3. Charge

Charge Member

Because promoters have a hard enough time pulling a crowd with the big names, put on a line up of new talent and chances are you wont get enough people in the club!

4. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

yeah we always moan on here about how promotors won't take the risk of booking nu talent. i dunno what d&b is like elsewhere in the country, but down here in Kent we only get about 20 people turning up sum of the nights i've DJ'd at. You gotta have names of DJs & MCs that people recognise to pull a decent crowd.
    P.S.
    Andy C & Zinc have pretty different styles imo. I can tell who is who by the kind of tunes they play.

5. UNKNOWN ONE

UNKNOWN ONE Member

the answer to this problem is longer set times. give a DJ 60minutes and he will play safe and play the same big anthums he knows will go off. give that same DJ 3hrs he will still play those 5 big tunes but will also have time to express them selfs and there own tastes and also take risks with unheard tunes and artists. but ive already had this argument about the need for longer sets so i'll leave it at that.

6. DJ Lordward

DJ Lordward T.D.P.

yeah i never thought of that Unknown One. You gotta let a DJ express himself & not jus cram in the big tunes that the crowd are guaranteed to like. Dont know if i'd like to DJ for 3 hours tho!

7. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Without trying to be picky, I actually think Zinc and Andy C sound quite different. Just my 2 Cents :|

8. UNKNOWN ONE

UNKNOWN ONE Member

for anyone who missed it, a whole thread on 3hr sets, interesting reading check the link

3HR SETS - LINK

9. Reapa

Reapa Member

it is a very good point hippo, im sure there are even better djs out there than the big names but i think andy c and zinc play quite different tunes, the tape packs people hear are normally one nation and helter skelter etc etc which in reality are just tapes or sets to just please a crowd. Andy C at "The End" would play a completley different set and zinc as i heard him at breakneck likes to play alot of bingo beats tunes. Saying all that, i would like to see more up and coming dj's coming through the ranks coz we need it, we need some freshness.

10. missrepresent

missrepresent Member

lol I can hear the diff between Andy c and Zinc they dj totally differently and play different tunes....

AND IM A GIRL :devilslay haha

anyways.......... as for this book a big dj lark... where we throw jams people dont really care who they see, just wanna see someone new. And I think its just about getting a good name up, Like Traffic people go because its a quality night and all ya mates are there and you know its good music etc.

Good sound systems and good vibes and im there usually regardless if its a big dj or not :razz:

11. UNKNOWN ONE

UNKNOWN ONE Member

yeah but to be fair tho how much compertion is there in Gloster. if you were to put a night on in London, Bristol, Birmingham and so on where theres sometimes 5 dnb night a week, people are goin to spend there money on where the best line up is. im not saying thats what I do cos im all about suporting small local promoters but realistically thats what the majority will do.

promoters have a hard job when theres so much compertition

12. Dj_Lien

Dj_Lien Member

Only thing that gets on my wick is that most of the big names smash the same 12 dubplates just in a diff order. I like a bit of old skool chucked in for good mesure ;)

Showing my age now, but Devious D did an 8 hour set back in 93 at some event. Can't think what it was called tho. Old grey matter is not what it used to be. Now that must have been a nightmare.

13. mesh

mesh Active Member

playing a long time forces you to actually play music you like, that goes well. I played a five hour set ( on a wednesday night) a few weeks ago and went through tunes I hadn't pulled out in years, ruff --- > smooth, everything. Was loads more fun than rinsing promos for 55 mins anyway. (although that is a subjective statement!)

14. tv_g

tv_g Active Member

That's what id like. new + old = :devilslay

i really don't have the stamina to watch a 3hr set. 2 hr max, but i also agree sets an hour or less are shit & usually boring.

15. V Matt

V Matt Member

I blame the narrowmindedness of a lot of the punters, the vast majority of people aren't really interested in hearing a DJ that they don't know, they just want to hear the latest disposable top 10 party anthems (n)

16. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Or maybe some DJs try to hard to be Andy C. But aren't.

17. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

definately a difference between zinc and andy. You have zinc who just loves his teasers (brown paper bag anyone?) and andy who loves to showcase the nu dark sh!t. Both top DJ's and i could definately tell the difference between the 2. And yes there does need to be some new talent but it just won't happen cos it all boils down that the punters want to hear the big names. If you had a cross collaboration of the big dogs and new DJ's i think there could be something there that would be worth going to. I have been DJ-ing since i was thirteen and i would love to have a chance to DJ at an event with old and new talent

18. freeagent

freeagent Almost 30

Agreed!

19. klusta

klusta Pulsar

oh hippo, u mean Andy C n Zinc have the same styles? nah, disagree with this.

new different styles do it for me, andy c wannabes bore me to tears and dj's do need longer sets

20. UNKNOWN ONE

UNKNOWN ONE Member

this also has some thing to do with it...........

a quote from Zinc himself a while back after he got alot of critisisum because he tryed something a bit different in a set. huge shame imo but goes to show how its our own doings.

:mad_guy: