Why do my beats sound so lame

skylove a soundfont is a bunch of sounds in the same wav mapped by offsets over the keys on the pianoroll. its very handy for beats but also good for all sorts of things if you cant be arsed to cut up your wavs all the time.
And yes, i am from Sweden. Good to see more of my countrymen here.

Another tip
Don't be afraid of using a sampled break. There's nothing wrong with it at all

In terms of drags and shuffles, think about the strength of each hit, the 'dynamic' and the 'attack' Think about how noisey real drums are, alot of the ambience just comes from the room the kit was recorded in, and the point about reverb is a good one. Drums can be very hard to analyse that's why alot of people use loops.
If you keep to simple two step patterns then you should be able to get a nice feel, whatever gear your using, just take the quantise off. Think about how humans 'feel' and how a computer
just locks to perfect time. Everthing should be slightly late compared to the metronome. Keep at it man it will come!

PS

Wicked offer on Slammin DnB loops at

http://TheLoFiLounge.Com/dnb120breakz.html

For me, the key is drumsample edits. I use reason almost exclusively, so for me this is very easy because of the ReCycle/Dr.Rex combo.

Usually I will start with a sampled break then layer over it with my own drum patterns, which I will distort a bit and reverb for some ambience. An important step is flamming the drums I layer over it a bit, just to give it a little bit of pizazz. Here is an example of one of my first successful attempts at what I just described:

http://mix.underground-dreams.com/big.b/Groove_Armada-MyFriend(illegalFlightMix).mp3

Not the greatest track ever written but it was my first real DnB track... ask me if you have any questions about it... its pretty basic though.

:clown:

are you layering your beats correctly? using at least 2 breaks or beat samples? how varied are your drum velocities?

One thing you can try is using the framework of a break and lining up kicks and snares in the proper area...either cutting or eqing the original beats out...then resample, compress, eq, whatever...then cut up the break in usual fashion. Perhaps make a good clean edit of the new pattern, resample that, recut it...etc.

seems to work pretty well for me.
best of luck dude,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom