Why do i feel like a cheat

Dagz

WE ARE THE MASTERS
VIP Junglist
when I hit the sync button?

I can mix ive mixed on turntables for years but its just so easy to hit the sync button. It's there so why not use it. It makes everything so easy but everytime I do I feel like im cheating abit even though I can mix fine with the tempo.

What do you guys think? Do any of you secretly hit the sync button?

A friend of mine once upon a time swore by turntablism and making your mixies work by using the pitch, he would preach the method as the only REAL way to DJ......He now plays his mp3s through traktor and controller that are ALL pre pitched, pre cued, in essence its basically drag and drop mixing.

It was almost heartbreaking to see this transition from what he used to do with the vinyl, I will not be following his footsteps!

IMO, if you're going to use the sync button, you better be doing some amazing shit to make up for it. 4 deck, crazy loop use, triple drops, etc. All possible without sync, if you're a crazy talented mofo.

IMO, if you're going to use the sync button, you better be doing some amazing shit to make up for it. 4 deck, crazy loop use, triple drops, etc. All possible without sync, if you're a crazy talented mofo.
This.

There's nothing wrong about using technology available to you, but not using that technology to push things forward is lazy. Techno music in general and dnb in particular has always been utilizing whatever new tech that has become available to do new shit, there's no reason why this shouldn't apply for dj-ing/livesets/whatever you want to call it.

I'm lazy.

Went all digital because it is cheaper and I hit the button because it is there.

I do not loop or cue or use 4 decks, I just mix like 2 decks and a mixer would be in front of me.

And quite frankly, I do not care what people think.

This .... This .... THIS.

Personally, started using turntables back in 1996. Currently on an s4 and yeah I use sync. Even if you turn sync off nothing stops you pushing the pitch to the desired bpm displayed on screen. If deck 1 is 174bpm precisely are you going to mix the second tune in at what sounds right but could be 174.2 or are you going to notch it to 174?

What matters most is:

What you play
How you play it
Knowing how to read a crowd.

To add; one of my all time favourite DJ's and pretty much most enjoyed mix of recent years (Marcus Intalex Fabriclive).......

Sequenced mix. I know Marcus can mix and I know he can clang.... I don't care. The tunes and the way he sequenced them is what made that mix so good!

I use an S4, the same as Simm, but I don't use the Sync button. It isn't difficult in traktor to get the BPM matched. It does leave you a lot of extra to get super creative with your tune selection and mixing skills.

The only time i feel syncing is acceptable is when using a controller with clumsy pitch controls.. I can't bring myself to do it otherwise.

Each to their own and all that..

The only time i feel syncing is acceptable is when using a controller with clumsy pitch controls.. I can't bring myself to do it otherwise.

Each to their own and all that..

I only ever use Sync if I'm playing some Dubstep with half time DnB. You can do some really cool shit when genre-bending with an S4.

I only mix for fun and using sync for mixing D&B takes some of the enjoyment out of it for me.

I do use it for mixing dancehall though as I mix the tunes a lot quicker, and I use effects & loops and all that stuff

Back
Top Bottom