Who's killing it in Neurofunk?

Dalek657

Hey guys. Loving Neurofunk right now but just wondered who in your mind are killing it right now?

For me it's - Akov, Current Value, Ed Rush & Optical, Hypoxia, June Miller, Mefjus, Optiv & BTK, Pythis, Signs, Silent Witness, Spor, Telekinesis and Teddy Killerz. Mainly looking for more known artists than underground but either's cool.

No one. Since 2013. Seriously. Other than that, guys like Agressor Bunx, Trilo or A-Cray are doing it pretty well.

2014 mate.

Now it's over the top everything.

Skynet deserves a mention too for keeping the groove. The Clamps is doing good too. And yes Icicle.

The Russians are keeping it tight also. Aggressor Bunx (already releasing too many unequally good tracks), Mr Frenkie, Dextems, Paperclip...

Would love to listen to some fresh stuff from Body & Soul, their Rebirth album was one of the very 2014 neuro releases and was largely overseen.

Edit for Trilo who actually kills it on a regular basis.

totally agree that neurofunk these days is all about the neuro and not much funk. Need some more releases like strange science, program and non human.

Hardly anybody

If there is one sub-genre that needs to go away and come back again with something new it would be neurofunk. Like others have said, where is the aforementioned funk?

Hardly anybody

Yeah I agree, honorable mentions go our to Skynet, Amoss's EP on Horizons, Xtrah's EP on Invisible, Mefjus's EP on Neosignal, but really can't think of much else. Even Misanthrop has fallen off the band wagon with that awful EP on Ram. But I understand he has a solo album coming on Neosignal next year which i really hope will be a return to the Misanthrop we used to love.

Last edited:
Nowadays you can only rate tracks as almost every artist is doing the same thing...
Charley by Hypoxia has some funk and some of Agressor Bunx's ones have funk as well.

I also like how Skynet is coming back, not too much fuzz, slowly but surely.

I feel Malsum & Krone are always killing it. Also, the Klone release on Mindtech (backed with a tune from Skynet even) I thought was absolutely on point. I think Concussion recordings seems to be off to a good start as well.

It's already been said multiple times, but Neurofunk has gotten mostly stale lately.
However, I have always rated artists from Russia for Neuro as of the past few years. Russia seems to be in this weird time-rift where it takes them a few years to catch up to music trends, so they have been having their gritty and dark drum and bass renaissance for the past 4 or so years.

Not everyone's cup-o-tea, but meh

All I can say is that describing Muzzy Monstercat as a really sick neurofunk producer is a perfect exemple for some sort of decline, innit.

Or in other "words"

3QAmc.gif

The few different takes on the sound are interesting, there's hardly any amoss tunes i would call neurofunk, but they are alot closer to the old ed rush & optical, c4c sound etc as are some of cerns tunes. Cursa is great for that whole full sound yet still maintaining the funk. I've dumbed that stuff down to 'minimal' in my head, I don't really listen to anything you lot on here would call minimal so it works for me. That whole wave of dudes who were making all the 'neurofunk' 2006 - 2009 are making things alot heavier now i guess so has neurofunk changed or were they always making something else?

Disprove, Cruk & Khronos are all really good. One by One, DaVIP Engage etc. Listen to the neuropunk podcasts there's always plenty of good music in there
The Clamps & Agressor Bunx as said are awesome

When I get back fully into dnb im hitting the Neurofunk hard. I hope they are still making tracks like this.. Always loved the rollers always will.

When I get back fully into dnb im hitting the Neurofunk hard. I hope they are still making tracks like this.. Always loved the rollers always will.

That's basically the whole problem right here. No more rollers in neurofunk, only dumb bangers with non-funky drumwork and overpowered mids.

I totally agree with all those people here, who say that a new wave of neuro is funk less. And it all sounds the same, great, banging, clean, but sooo similar.
It is great in the club, when you're drunk or high it is even better. But I was recently fed up with it.

When I started to listen to dnb back in 2000, It was an era of classic techstep and neurofunk sound, it was funky as hell.
Than around 2005 there was a second wave, for example Spor, Noisia, they redefined a bit a sound of neurofunk, at least in my opinion. It was more synthetic, but it was fresh and it was funky.

Now something went wrong, it is too clean and steril to be truly funky.
Maybe it is because of the influences of harder dnb.
Hard hard dnb since few years is in a big stagnation in my opinion.
After a phase of very interesting darkstep and technoid vibes (around 2007/8/9) and then The Outside Agency's crossbreed and hardcoreXdnb a la PRSPCT period, which also was something interesting and new, hard dnb started to sound the same and boring.

Some hard dnb producers moved back into techy and neuro directions, to have a rest from hardcore and crossbreed, which is obviously more close to the European hardcore culture that to UK's hardcore/jungle/dnb culture.
In the same time some labels and producers considered as neurofunk went harder.
And we have a combination of both. Modern neuro. Harder, cleaner, but less funky.

Hmm. Maybe saying it went wrong is unfair, it just has changed.
Probably in few years oldskul neuro vibe will inspire producers again, music always goes in circles ;)

Back
Top Bottom