Who's killing it in Neurofunk?

NEUROWAVE!!!!!!

:wave:

Don't be sooooo Rickdiculous!

Rick-and-Morty.jpg

Don't be sooooo Rickdiculous!

Rick-and-Morty.jpg

Hahahaha. I've only just got on to Rick & Morty. Such a rickdiculously good show.

The first episode I watch was the one where Rick hacks the TV Box to show TV shows from infinite dimensions. I laughed..............a lot!

Hahahaha. I've only just got on to Rick & Morty. Such a rickdiculously good show.

The first episode I watch was the one where Rick hacks the TV Box to show TV shows from infinite dimensions. I laughed..............a lot!

Ants in my Eyes Johnson hahaha

Fair point from Misanthrop though :
Neurofunk to me is the combination of deep funk/jazz elements combined with dirty basslines, catchy hooks, funky drums and sci-fi sound design made mainly between 1998-2005. The newer stuff doesn´t transport the term neurofunk (very stupid name btw.) to me anymore. Which is not bad at all, because it’s fresh and sounds different. I would rather speak of techstep or tech drum and bass than of neurofunk in 2015.

Fair point from Misanthrop though :
Neurofunk to me is the combination of deep funk/jazz elements combined with dirty basslines, catchy hooks, funky drums and sci-fi sound design made mainly between 1998-2005. The newer stuff doesn´t transport the term neurofunk (very stupid name btw.) to me anymore. Which is not bad at all, because it’s fresh and sounds different. I would rather speak of techstep or tech drum and bass than of neurofunk in 2015.

Yeah, and then he completely flushes whatever credibility he gained by saying that down the toilet with this:
I think the main reason for its success at the moment is that it’s the genre with the most advanced sound design and creative ideas. The producers are willing to question that standard D&B sound (read: amen breaks…) at the moment, which I think makes the whole genre extremely interesting. It’s a similar vibe like back in the DSCi4 Rec forum years. That said… The midrange reese filter bass could be the new amen in time…”

Everything Phace says in that article is completely spot on.

“To me it is just a term that tries to categorize a specific type of music you can’t really categorize. Neurofunk seems to be more of a full on movement these days. The music evolves too fast and constantly, so in my view you can’t really define the term musically anymore. That guy who wrote the neurofunk Wikipedia article actually described its very origin quite well. That old school neurofunk term to me is equal to Konflict’s Messiah or Ed Rush & Optical’s Point Blank. Whereas nowadays the sound of it is more diverse, digitized and a synthesized hybrid.”

Neurofunk: not a musical categorization, but a movement - fucking lol. The rest is kinda ok'ish.

I actually think that 2015 was a very strong year for Drum & Bass in general, no matter what sub-genre. For me personally 2015 has been one of the best years since I started to do my take on underground Drum & Bass music. I never released more music in one year and never have been touring that much.”

First sentence - agreed. "My take on underground Drum & Bass music" x "never have been touring that much"...a bit of contradiction innit.

Drum & Bass (and many other electronic music genres I can think of) always has been very connected to the technological evolution of music production. Particularly neurofunk. There is something fascinating about it. And we are living in a digital age that changed the whole production game drastically. As technology always will evolve (unless it all just blacks out one day…) the music will always progress too. The young, hungry and rebellious D&B scene always seems to strive for the next thing. That’s a very healthy attitude if you ask me. Nothing is worse than standstill.”

Again, first sentence is ok. Second one not that much...in terms of sonics maybe, in terms of arangement etc. hardly. The last two sentences sound kind of ironic considering the fact nothing is really happening in neurofunk in the last two, maybe three, four years.

---

So yeah, completely spot on :teeth:

How do you mean nothing happening though? hate on mefjus all you like, phace is up there with break and calibre as far as always being on point goes. We all have our own take on what dnb is which is what makes it so appealing really, but those 3 are always doing positive things

& phace's arrangement is pretty much second to none. Shitty he writes such shorter tunes now but things like moores law and brainwave are as good as it gets arrangement wise

Don't get me wrong, I love old Phace tunes, Brainwave is an absolute classic, so is the whole Psycho LP and From Deep Space LP.

But since the rise of Mefjus, there's jack shit happening in neurofunk tunes, there are basically 2 types of tunes going on all over again - one is a Far Too Close/Distantia type with the high pitched snares, whooshing supersonic synths and really low frequency subs, the second is an Underground Culture/Unconscious type with those all over the place mids, heavyweight kicks and snares, hardly any bassline and loud as fuck. There's an occasional exception to the rule which then makes a stand-out tune, for example Mythos or Violence, but that really doesn't stand for me as I was used to like about 90% of what producers like Phace or Calyx & TeeBee were doing a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong, I love old Phace tunes, Brainwave is an absolute classic, so is the whole Psycho LP and From Deep Space LP.

But since the rise of Mefjus, there's jack shit happening in neurofunk tunes, there are basically 2 types of tunes going on all over again - one is a Far Too Close/Distantia type with the high pitched snares, whooshing supersonic synths and really low frequency subs, the second is an Underground Culture/Unconscious type with those all over the place mids, heavyweight kicks and snares, hardly any bassline and loud as fuck. There's an occasional exception to the rule which then makes a stand-out tune, for example Mythos or Violence, but that really doesn't stand for me as I was used to like about 90% of what producers like Phace or Calyx & TeeBee were doing a few years ago.
That's true, but don't act like it's hard to filter all that shit out. Forgettable tunes are exactly that; forgettable. You hear them in a mix or a video and you just forget about them straight after. They don't distract me from the tunes I absolutely drool over. Dead Limit EP was one of my favourite releases of the year, every single tune tied me in a knot in it's own way. Emperor's Into Black EP was one of my favourite releases of the year, same thing there too. Gravitas EP, Phace & Friends EP, Binary Vol.5, Billain's shit, like isnt any of that stuff fresh to you?

I still get your point though, there's been fresh sounds but no new aesthetic ground covered. Nobodies's broken out with anything wholly unique for a while, but that's been common in nearly every style of music for years. It aint something that happens monthly. And when it comes to the 'traditional nuerofunk' sound, something that I think everybody's been dying for I think, there's maybe only a couple artists I know that might fit the bill. But at this point it's really come down to the passion of the individual rather then the force of the scene. I've taken a very lengthy break from writing anything, to just clear up the mind. Drum & Bass 2005 is definitely something I've put thought into and it wouldnt take much for me to finish projects in that ilk, It's something I've wanted to do since I started.

I will put partial blame on Calyx & Teebee for not changing their sound at all in 5 years :teeth:

That's true, but don't act like it's hard to filter all that shit out. Forgettable tunes are exactly that; forgettable. You hear them in a mix or a video and you just forget about them straight after. They don't distract me from the tunes I absolutely drool over. Dead Limit EP was one of my favourite releases of the year, every single tune tied me in a knot in it's own way. Emperor's Into Black EP was one of my favourite releases of the year, same thing there too. Gravitas EP, Phace & Friends EP, Binary Vol.5, Billain's shit, like isnt any of that stuff fresh to you?

I still get your point though, there's been fresh sounds but no new aesthetic ground covered. Nobodies's broken out with anything wholly unique for a while, but that's been common in nearly every style of music for years. It aint something that happens monthly. And when it comes to the 'traditional nuerofunk' sound, something that I think everybody's been dying for I think, there's maybe only a couple artists I know that might fit the bill. But at this point it's really come down to the passion of the individual rather then the force of the scene. I've taken a very lengthy break from writing anything, to just clear up the mind. Drum & Bass 2005 is definitely something I've put thought into and it wouldnt take much for me to finish projects in that ilk, It's something I've wanted to do since I started.

I will put partial blame on Calyx & Teebee for not changing their sound at all in 5 years :teeth:

It is indeed hard for me to filter all that shit out, because it makes roughly 95% of all the releases in this particular part of the spectrum. Can't say Dead Limit is forgettable, but only because of its best part - the buildup. Overally, I don't really like the tune, or any other off the EP for that matter. Just heard that new Noisia dub on soundcloud yesterday and as much as people laugh at me there, I can't help but feel like it sounds like a new Original Sin tune, not Noisia. All that jump-up'ish nonsense which is now considered as a trademark neurofunk sound is just so one dimensional for me. Groovy rollers are no longer present, and browsing through the releases, I usually skip through about 20 tunes before finding at least one I can stand to listen through as a whole (and on top of that I'd buy and play out about a third off those tops). Xtrah has been a huge dissapointment for me personally, as his releases a while back were always buy-on-sight. His solo output this year has been nothing but a let down as his sound got completely disintegrated in this loud as fuck bullshit. Emperor is basically the same story with only difference being he's been down this path for a while longer. Billain is in a league of his own, wouldn't even consider putting him near Posij's or Phace's releases - again, I don't like those one bit (with the only slight exception which is Yes). I'm sorry, I'm just a sucker for the classic neurofunk sound, not this :)

This might not come as a surprise from a guy with the man as his signature, but all this hate of Mefjus has got me confused. How anyone can say tunes like Pulsation, Bang Bang, Continuous, Saturate, Expedition, Disrupted and Repentance are 'forgettable' Neuro tunes is beyond me. And that's just his some of his more recent productions.

Back
Top Bottom