who's into early uk dubstep?

Discussion in 'Production' started by concept beats, Aug 4, 2015.

1. concept beats

concept beats New Member

i'm into electronic music since 2011, when dubstep came out on youtube with these ukf stuff that we know pretty well (oh, i missed those times when rutton records was relasing really badass tunes...)

since there i explored the world of uk underground scene and i started listened sub.fm the whole day, but in my city (i'm from Neaples) i think i'm the only one who knows what deep medi or tempa records are

Those years i've worked a lot with mc's from my city, and i want to start to give some of those uk vibes in my productions, even becouse i've always listened to a lot reggae and dub and i think that uk dubstep fits really good with my style. Anybody who wants to share some production tips? Are hardware useful for those grime sounds or software goes? Any artists to share?

thanks a lot!
    Concept from NA, Italy, representing ParanzsuonoCollective :rasta:

2. ScottyEightSix

ScottyEightSix HUGE EARS > COMEDY CHIN

Sorry pal, but Dubstep has been going since 2000ish. By 2011 the sound was diluted to fuck and very few artists were still pushing the original sound.

Check out

Digital Mystikz
    El-B
    Zed Bias
    Artwork
    Skream
    Benga

Alert and Vanden like this.
  3. concept beats

concept beats New Member

hi scotty thanks for the reply, unluckly in 2000 i was just 3 years old.
    anyway i think that early works from the canadian scene were rad too but is just an opinion
    what are the best dubstep works by el-b and Zed Bias? i found lot of garage under these names

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  4. Vanden

Vanden -nieuwenhuysen

For early UK dubstep also check out Pinch, Loefah, Mala (aka Digital Mystikz but check out his Mala stuff too), Kode 9, Burial, 2562, Martyn. That should give you plenty to listen through

5. concept beats

concept beats New Member

I listened a lot of stuff by Mala and Deep Medi Musik (i also own a shirt, lol) but anybody have ever tried to produce this kind of music?

6. jmzmaloney

jmzmaloney ENTHUSED WITH ETHNOGRAPHIC PLUNDERPHONICS Staff Member

Playstation and Music 2000 aint it?

7. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Yeah man its all I produce nowdays

8. concept beats

concept beats New Member

Kronix you are welcome if you wanna share some of your weapons and techniques :razz:

9. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

What sort of thing you wanna know?

Its difficult to explain in text how I make everything I do. So if theres something specific you need help with then fire away I'll help where I can.

Best generic tips I can give you regarding deep dubstep is dont over do it, listen to a lot of it and notice there isn't that much going on, just create good sinister atmosphere with a solid sub bassline, some rough drums, and one hit fx. Reverb and delay are you're best friends.

Producing drum and bass you tend to want the cleanest crispest sounds you can make, but dubstep is the opposite, you want gritty, rough around the edges kinda sounds. But dont get that confused with a shitty mixdown, you still need good mixdown techniques.

Alert likes this.
  10. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

If you're looking for some producers to watch out for that arent such big names, check out the likes of krease, c-side, step a side, john matrix, j rose, love the cook, dead noise system (a four man group that I am part of) duckem, chad dubz, capcha......I could go on.

Also a few smaller labels to look out for are under surveillance recordings, subotage records, foundation audio, abyssal audio, infra tribez and more I cant think of off the top of my head. Ive had releases on both under surveillance and subotage and am good pals with the owner of abyssal.

11. concept beats

concept beats New Member

Big up for your reply, it was much appreciated.
    A few question for you:

-what about vinyl sampling? Do you make your beats only with synths and drum kits or you start by cutting some records? I'm an hip hop head and i'm very familiar with chopping

-any hardware used? I'm not a synth collector but i think that most of these sound i listened aren't entirely made inside a software

12. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

You'd be surprised. You can achieve almost any sound in software nowdays. I have a novation mini nova which I do use quite a lot but most of my sounds come from within software.

The trick is how you manipulate the sounds within your fx chain outside of the synth.

As for beats, like most people I use one shot samples, layered up and EQ'd. I tend not to use breaks within dubstep as they arent needed. You can chop individual hits out of a break if you wish but I'd personally rather use single samples

13. concept beats

concept beats New Member

Thanks for tips mate, now i know what i'm going to make in my summer sessions :cool:

14. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Click the artwork in my sig and it'll redirect you to my soundcloud page where you can hear some of my work

15. Alert

Alert Oblivion Fringe

[​IMG]

16. concept beats

concept beats New Member

Thanks a lot for the support, i've started this week to make some patches and i'm really enjoying my works :D

17. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

Good work. Look forward to hearing what you've done